Directv at RV Resort?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by reubenray, Mar 30, 2018.

1. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I live in a RV Resort that supplies Directv via the D12 receivers to the campsites. It is being sent via coaxial so obviously this is SD. Just recently they started to say their system is now HD. Obviously this is not right. For the record I have my own Directv with dish, so I get HD. The PQ has improved, but when other's asked why their TV was showing analog and not HD I had to inform them how it works.

What would have improved the PQ when Directv came out and did something and what will the resort options be when SD is phased out? Will commercial accounts still be able to get SD?

The reason I am asking is this resort sells lots (which I have one) and after a certain amount of lots are sold the owners take over and then run the resort. This is still years down the road, but I am checking to see what happens when we do take over with the cable system that a lot of owners depend on.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why does it "obviously" have to be SD if it is coaxial?

I take it you mean they have a bank of D12s with each one left tuned to a different channel, and modulate those onto a cable where you can use a TV tuner to choose between only as many channels as they have D12 receivers, like a small private cable TV system? There are ways to do the same thing with HD, it just costs more.

When Directv drops MPEG2 SD next year, it will be for everyone including all commercial accounts. Anyone doing this sort of thing would need to replace their D12s with HD receivers, but those receivers can output SD just like the D12 so if they don't want to spend money to upgrade their "private cable TV" system to HD they won't have to.

3. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    See my responses in bold inside the quote.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If they wanted to spend as little as possible, they would replace all the D12s with HD receivers like H24s and replace the dish if it isn't a Slimline. Wouldn't even need to upgrade to SWM if they are using legacy mode. All the non-Directv elements of their system like modulators and stuff would remain the same, and people would still be watching in SD like before.