Directv - Atmos

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by rcraigiii, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rcraigiii

rcraigiii Mentor

Apr 21, 2007
    Looking for guidance on what DirecTV content has Dolby Atmos sound. I have all the required 4k equipment, but the 4k channel is showing up as Dolby Digital Plus on my Yamaha AVR. I can get Atmos via Nvidia Shield on Netflix, but stumped on the DirecTV front. Guide data shows 4k and HDR, but doesn't specify what audio I should be able to get. Thanks in advance!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I recall a few threads/poste posted here about DTV and Atmos.
    Try use Search ...

3. rcraigiii

rcraigiii Mentor

Apr 21, 2007
    April 2018 there was a thread with minimal information, hence my post. Thanks!

I WANT MORE and longhorn23 like this.
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I recall more recent posts … perhaps it was at AVS forum...

5. longhorn23

longhorn23 Active Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I apologize for P Smith giving a useless response again.

There used to be a lot of Atmos programming on the 4k channel but they have recently disappeared. I believe Atmos on Directv started in 2017 or early 2018 with the Winter Olympics. Notre Dame Games might have had Atmos before that. All the Notre Dame games from this last year had Dolby Atmos. The ESPN college football games are also all in Atmos. (although ESPN atmos mix is not great because the audience sound drowns out the commentators talking from the center channel). I used to record all the Dolby Atmos programs on channel 104. There were about 10 or so programs in Atmos on 104 a while back but it has declined recently. If you go to the guide, click 0, then click sort programs by category, and then go to audio and video, and select Dolby Atmos..It'll show all the programs currently in Dolby Atmos. There were def a lot more available before though. But Directv recycles the programs that they show on 104, so they should come back on the guide eventually. Most of the Atmos programs were the Imax nature/documentary type shows. Right now the only Atmos programs it showing on the search are PPV movies and Florida Girls on 104. There were a lot more before but they should be back eventually. I would say the next guaranteed Atmos programming you'll see are from the two ESPN National Championship feeds on 105 and 106 on Monday night.

6. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I bought a new Vizio soundbar in November (as an aside, the thing puts out amazing sound for very little $$$) and every now again, the Atmos light will pop on. I hit the info button and sure enough, Atmos was in the description.

So, there is, as noted above, content. Just not very much of it.

longhorn23 likes this.
  7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    WTF ? Not knowing other forums ? Bright move !

8. rcraigiii

rcraigiii Mentor

Apr 21, 2007
    longhorn23 ... you are the man!!! I cannot thank you enough. I'm in my 20th year with Directv and had no clue you can do a search by audio type. If you are ever in Central Florida, a nice cold beer is on me. I see Florida girls (for example) and if you hit info, you can actually see ATMOS. This solves such a mystery for me. Kudos, means a lot!

And yeah ... other response was of no value and latest was sharp edged to say the least. I could be a wisenheimer and stick my nose in the air saying I'm the best "google searcher" you've ever seen .... flaunting that I've worked for a high tech company for 24 years that has a market cap of 174.66B, but that might come off rather brash (wink!). Truly, I have searched until I am blue in the face and have a set of tabs that I open multiple times a day trying to stay current on the latest news pertinent to my equipment. Not sure why the tension, just trying to make my way in the world, with a little help with superstars like longhorn23!

Attached Files:

longhorn23 and I WANT MORE like this.
  9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Ugh !
    At that forum exist a long thread Directv II HD/4k, searching it you could go back to mid of 2018 and get some answers.

10. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Great tip @longhorn23, had no idea you could do a search like that. I too remember when there was some great Atmos material on 104, there was a documentary on the transcontinental railroad that had awesome sound including Atmos. Recently though I'd noticed I hadn't seen any, now that I know how I just did a search and what little there is, is all on PPV, nothing on 104. Too bad, I guess they want you to pay for it. Some of the 104 programs are very well produced, unfortunately it seems they're neutering them now.

longhorn23 likes this.