Directv/att phone call scam

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Big Daddy PS, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Apr 8, 2021 #1 of 36
    Big Daddy PS

Big Daddy PS New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Got a call yesterday from some foreign accent person claiming to be from ATT/ Directv.
    Caller Id even said ATT!
    Shpiel says ATT reassessing their pricing and offering me a price of 100 bucks for 2 years with all pay channels included.
    Then she said I would have to pay the first 3 months up front (300 bucks).
    No I didn’t take it, as I smelled a load of steaming BS out of this call and offer.
    Even wanted to throw in a Visa gift card, lol!
    Anyone getting these calls?

longhorn23 likes this.
  2. Apr 8, 2021 #2 of 36
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I got one of those also, vey similar.
    Caller was foreign. Told me that my account had been chosen for a discount. I would get all channels including the premium channels and my bill would just be $69 for the next 2 years.
    He asked me how did that sound. I replied "Too good to be true" and then hung up.

Phone scammers are working very hard. Most that I get is for an extended car warranty.

longhorn23, AZ. and 242424 like this.
  3. Apr 8, 2021 #3 of 36
    BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett AllStar

Nov 14, 2007
    I have. Several times, in fact, as have other contributors to these forums. And you were correct not to fall for these bogus offers, as legit DirecTV reps have denied their validity.

longhorn23 likes this.
  4. Apr 8, 2021 #4 of 36
    Big Daddy PS

Big Daddy PS New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    They must be pretty sophisticated to hack the caller ID to say AT&T. That’s the only reason I even answered the call as I have cell, internet and DTV with them.

longhorn23 likes this.
  5. Apr 8, 2021 #5 of 36
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Many phone scammers are sophisticated and can hack caller ID. I have received scammer calls that claim to be from Amazon, Social Security, and Visa that showed up in my caller ID.

longhorn23 and AZ. like this.
  6. Apr 8, 2021 #6 of 36
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Choosing a caller ID name is trivial with certain self-administered phone systems (i.e. PBX and self-hosted VOIP). Setting up such systems initially isn't easy but changing them from one scam to the next is.

The latest trick is to get a database that matches a random "local" phone number with its appropriate caller ID name. The entity that is scamming for Apple IDs seem to have this working pretty well.

7. Apr 8, 2021 #7 of 36
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just tell them you will call them back when the account holder is home, and ask for a number to reach them. Then you can cross reference it to ATT's real number.
    Another scam I almost fell for, they are hacking google maps to include local numbers for businesses like Amazon and others, but the number is a bogus toll free number. When you call it, the Caller ID is correct, and you think you are talking to the real business, until they try to access your computer to verify your account.

8. Apr 8, 2021 #8 of 36
    Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Yep, lots of threads on this over the past few years.

If it's the same group that has been doing this previously, they will tell you they are part of DTV Sales and will give you an 800 number that goes to what sounds like a valid DTV menu system. They will also have a good bit of your account details before they call. The guys that called me a few years back had recorded the DTV call tree and put the audio into a voice response system. It was identical all the way down to the little tick-tok sounds DTV used to have after you made a menu choice. The offers are usually similar and they always come down to pre-paying them about $300 for 6 months of unlimited service.

longhorn23 likes this.
  9. Apr 8, 2021 #9 of 36
    slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    I've been getting the same call every other day. I just hang up. AT&T calling to offer me half off on my satellite bill? Yeah right!

longhorn23 likes this.
  10. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Yeah I've received them and I left DirecTV last year. That isn't AT&T. It's a set of phone scammers spoofing their caller ID to make it look like it's from AT&T/DirecTV.
    Had one today that said "Bank of America", complete with their toll free number.

Even had my own cell phone number spoofed. That's becoming common as well. One woman called started laying into me about trying to scam her and when I explained what really happened, she apologized.

yanksno1 likes this.
  11. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    That's already happening where I live. I've received calls on my home line that caller ID says is a local businesses, with the correct phone number too. But when you answer, there's that delay and you hear certain tone you know it's a scammer. I chew them ALL OUT in a big way.

I have NoMoRobo as part of my phone service with Spectrum. It used to block 95% of robocalls. But since the scammers are successfully spoofing numbers from local businesses, it really hasn't worked well. Now it blocks maybe 20% of all robocalls.

jimmie57 likes this.
  12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Its incredibly easy to do this. If I had your phone number I could call you and show up as AT&T or anything else you want. How can you think this is difficult when so many telemarketing calls use a spoofed number?

The thing that is really hard to spoof is ANI, which is used for billing and you can only access it if you pay for a toll free 800/877/888 number.

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I average around five or six calls a week. All from numbers like mine with the last four digits changed, to try to make me believe the call is local.

jimmie57 likes this.
  14. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    I got one today. It was a robocall, which interestingly asked for the pin code before anything else. Then a few minutes later my other half (who is not on the DirecTV account at all) got the same call.

15. mke

mke Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Me too i got over 200 calls the 1st day it started. Now i get about 7 a day

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    This is one of the things that is great about having a cell number with a different area code than where I live. If I get a call from that area code/prefix I know it is junk. Since I almost never give my cell number to businesses I only get junk calls on my cell maybe once every couple weeks on average - more before an election but still not many. Still, if it was possible to call block an entire area code / prefix I would lol!

I give businesses my old landline number which is now an Ooma device hooked up to a phone with the ringer turned off. They can leave a voicemail, and I'll call them back if it is actually important. Not sure how many calls that number gets since it doesn't ring, but I end up with 3-4 useless voicemails a week, and maybe one useful voicemail a month. But it only costs $6 a month for service (because of E911) which is worth it for not having to give my cell number to businesses.

jimmie57 likes this.
  17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Informal survey question:

How many have put their wireless phones on the FCC's Do Not Call list?

18. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I have our home phone and all our cell phones on the DNC list. I actually checked the other day because we have been getting hammered by the global pharmacy and the dealer processing guys for the past few months. IMO, that list is great for the US guys that are going to play by the rules. For the scammers over in India, it's a great database of valid numbers that they will use over and over.

19. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    My friend who has been a D* employee for ages still has the complementary D* account with Premier but gets scam calls offering to lower his bill by 50% and give him all the premiums at no extra cost for 3 months. :rolleyes: I was with him when he asked the guy "sounds like a great deal! Just need to get some eBay card to pay you huh. Can you explain tho how you take 50% off of $0?" the scammer said "oh **** another employee" and hung up.

carlsbad_bolt_fan and jimmie57 like this.
  20. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    WOW. Those scammers really get around. I have both Direct TV and Comcast and this week got a call from a scammer allegedly representing Comcast. They'll cut my bill in half if I prepay 5 months of my new bill by buying an EBAY card for $250+ then calling a phone number they provided (supposedly "billing") and using a code they gave me. I knew it was a scam but at first couldn't figure it out because I thought they would have asked me for a credit card payment (which they didn't). I guess the scam is you pay $250 for that EBAY card, call their phony billing number, give them the code from the card and THEY get the money. SCAMMERS !!! I guess I'll be on the lookout now for a call from Direct TV/AT&T giving me the same offer .... LOL.

jimmie57 likes this.