DirecTV Begins Use of 72.5-Degree Slot

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    DirecTV started offering local TV channels in five additional markets Tuesday, the first markets to use the 72.5-degree orbital location.

The extra capacity was gained through a deal with Telesat Canada, which controls the orbital location. The markets - Wausau-Rhinelander, Wis., Toledo, Ohio, Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill., the Tri-Cities area in Tennessee and Virginia, and Johnstown-Altoona, Pa. - are the first of 24 local TV markets that DirecTV is launching at the slot.

Customers in these markets will require a second 18-inch dish to receive local channels. The dish and installation are being provided at no charge, the company said.

DirecTV said that with the addition of the 24 local TV markets it will have capacity to offer local TV in 130 markets, covering 92 percent of the TV households in the country.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

2. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    "will require a second 18-inch dish..."

Wait...I thought they were supposed to get away from such "requirements"...

3. BLeodler

BLeodler New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    D* is putting all of the stations in a DMA on the 72.5 slot. E* got into trouble because they required the second dish only for the smaller local channels in a DMA and put the major networks on the main slot.

4. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    No. The requirement is that all locals from a market have to be treated equally and delivered via the same dish. This dish does not have to be the same dish that the national channels come from.

The problem was that Dish Network treated network affiliates better than independent stations in many markets in violation of FCC rules. They made the "big 7" for each market available from the primary 110/119 slots and shifted the other channels to a wing satellite, then waited for the subscriber to ask for a second dish to get them. Directv has always offered locals from the same satellite to be received with the same dish, treating all locals as equals.

5. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    From what I understand it is also just a temporary slot until D* gets their new sats up and going over the next couple of years and then everything will be all on 1 dish.
    I want my locals but still not sure I want the 2nd dish when its only temporary.

6. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Nitehawk, I got my system upgraded for Tri-Cities' locals yesterday. The pictures of Tri-Cities locals are outstanding, MUCH better than anything that I got with my large professionally mounted rotating antenna. The only problem that I had was that only one of my three boxes were compatible for the upgrade, so they had to switch two of my boxes out.

When they did the switch, one of the boxes had problems with the access card, so they are overnighting me a new access card for it. The other replaced box we figured out w/D*'s support help was a defective box, and they are shipping me a new replacement one. All things considered, I'm not too upset, however, as D* was very helpful with this and they are just learning the installation process themselves. I did get me 3 mo. free Showtime and 6 mo. free locals for my troubles as well. My 2nd dish is mounted on the back of my house, so it doesn't stick out as an eyesore either.

7. sikma

sikma Godfather

Dec 11, 2003
    What receivers will not support (receive) the 72.5 sat.?

8. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002

Sikma, here's a thread from the DBS Forums' board clarifying which receivers are compatible.

DBS Fourms thread on compatibility

BTW, Jack Sikma was one outstanding basketball player in his day. I won't forget his sling-shot jumper that he shot. Only bad thing about Sikma was that he was a little on the ugly side! ;) He was a little scary looking to say the least!

9. sikma

sikma Godfather

Dec 11, 2003
    My teammates in school gave me that label....my shot (sling) resembled his I guess........... and maybe the 'little on the ugly side' too :D

10. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    George_T thats great to hear that the picture quality is outstanding, especially when we have all read reports of some markets being rather mediocre. Right now I have to rely on Charter for my locals. I have the charter cable modem so the additional $5-6 for the locals isn't too bad. But I would much rather have them on the dish so that I could use them with my DirecTivo. Maybe what I will do is cement a pole in the ground (it would be on the end of the house where there are no windows anyway)
    I will see, looks like Traverse City will be available Nov 19. Downside is that I don't think any of my 3 Sony receivers will work with 72.5 including my Sony T-60 DirecTivo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.