DirecTV billing issues -- what was the Sunday Ticket Promo?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SPG900NY, Apr 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SPG900NY

SPG900NY AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    I signed up for DirecTV last September when the Sunday Ticket promotion was going on. It expired in February and I called DirecTV to downgrade my account from the Premiere package. In order to keep the Free HD for Life, the rep I spoke with on the phone said I needed to maintain the automatic payments and don't go lower than the Choice Xtra package, so that's what I did. I just noticed I've now been charged since then for HD, so I wrote to DirecTV and the rep said sorry, you needed to keep Premiere, and in fact, now that you've dropped it, we can't re-add that to your account.

I wrote back and said I their own rep told me that I needed to maintain Choice Xtra to be eligible for the free HD for life, and when I first signed up, that's also what I believed the promotion was.

I even went to the DirecTV site to see what the Free HD parameters are -- it says there clearly that Choice Xtra is required (not Premiere). So I pointed all this out to the rep and she responded that they change offers all the time, and when I signed up the requirement was Premiere.

Is this true? Does anyone know where I can find the original terms of my Free HD for Life offer during the Sunday Ticket promotion? This back and forth is really ticking me off and I feel like I got baited and switched.

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Choice Ultimate was the requirement.

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Premier was never the requirement for free HD. Did you just speak to general customer service? Speak with retention and if that doesn't work...use the executive customer support email contact.

4. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    Correct Choice Ultimate is the requirement for Free HD for life if you signed up during the NFL promotion.

5. SPG900NY

SPG900NY AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. So we were all wrong -- it's not Premiere, and it's not Xtra as the rep told me and as I thought it was.

I'd have gladly stayed with Ultimate had the rep told me I had to do that, since I'd keep the movie channels and wouldn't have to pay for the HD.

I'll take it up with the retention department. Will they care since I have over a year left on my contract?

Thanks again.

6. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    You might have to contact the customer advocacy group. I have a thread about what I had to go through when they swapped me to another plan saying I can keep free Hd for life then started charging me for it. When I called they said they couldn't put it back on my account, I ended up contacting the advocacy group which were able to put HD for life back on my account and adjust my plan to Choice Ultimate with Auto-Pay.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It might be easier just to call in and ask for the 24 months of free HD Access that anyone with Choice and auto-billpay can get. Most of us here think that the HD Access fee will probably be gone within the next 2 years anyway.

8. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I believe some version of Choice (plus auto payments) is the minimum for the free HD for two years offer.

Free HD for life may well require Choice Ultimate.

9. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    The account is too new for that promotion. I tried to go that route with retention at some point in my frustration.

I'll see if I can dig up my thread when I get home, it has more details in it.