Directv billing problem need help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tvman1, Jan 23, 2009.

1. tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I check out this forum almost daily and have found some great information here. This is my first post and I was hoping for a little feedback or help from all of you. Here's my issue:

I mailed a check to Directv to pay my bill. The check has cleared the bank but the balance still shows on my account. I have called a CSR but basically was told I have not paid the bill and that I would need to fax a copy of my bank statement to the Finance Operations department. I was told it would take 10 business days to resolve this issue. I questioned about it making by account past due if I still have a balance on it and the CSR said it would be fine.

I'm a bit skeptical about having to pay late fees even though I am disputing my balance due. And I don't want my service disconnected. The due date is Monday the 26th. I have been with Directv for 4 years and have never had a late payment or a problem like this. My questions are do I go online and pay the bill again Monday so my bill is current? And, are there any other special things I should do to get this situation resolved?

Thank you all in advance for your answers and help. And thank you for such a great site.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    One thing is they probably won't turn off service immediately. I've seen people with huge past dues and still have service.

3. tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I also would like to know if anyone else has ever had this problem and if they were able to get it resolved? BTW I will never mail in a payment again.

4. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    It's the only way to go anymore. One careless postal employee or mistake, and it's a bushel of headache.

5. tomkarl

tomkarl Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    If the check has cleared the OP's bank account (as he indicated), then that would strongly indicate it was in Directv's possession. It is highly unlikely that it is a postal mishap.

6. tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Yes,Directv had the check and it cleared the bank. I am thinking that it was posted to the wrong account. What do you all think the chances of me getting my account corrected?

7. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    chances of correction are good. it is very rare to have a mispost like you report.

8. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Can you view the posted check online? If so you should be able to print it, front and back ,and then contact their billing dept. for a number to fax the check into, to prove that you made the payment. Put your account number and the name od the person you got the fax number from so that it can be reviewed. You should be able to get this all taken care of within a few days and should not be charged any late fees.

Good Luck

9. tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I cannot get an image of it online or at the bank because Directv does a direct debit of my account is what I was told. I sent them a copy of the statement from the bank showing when the payment went through.

10. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Faxing the information should get the assistance you need. If your account is past due and a late fee applies due to the dispute - you should be able to get them to waive any late fees. Especially since the check did clear your account.

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    That's because, Vendours no longer have to send the paper check to the bank
    - They clear it Electronic

When they find the error and post it correctly to you account, Go online in your D* account and sign up for eft transfer auto bill pay and get $5 off for going GREEN :D

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Also, if they do charge a late fee, don't accept a general "credit" from the CSR. Make sure the late fee charges are actually reversed and the late status of the account is corrected. The problem is, if the CSR gives you a "credit", it still looks like you were late and they just waived the late fee as a matter of "friendly customer service". This is their mistake (or, more likely, their lockbox processor's) and they need to make it right.

13. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    I had a similar issue for my car loan when I paid off the balance and an auto-pay cleared afterwards even though the account was closed..doh. My bank's (the checking account one) CSR handled nearly everything and I got the money back into my account within a day of calling the bank. The CSR at bank with the car loan was fairly useless when I called them up first.
    Fax the statement to DTV and call up your bank to see what they can do.

14. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    If you have the cash available, you might want to go ahead and pay it online. Then when they clear it up, you won't have to make a payment next month. That way you won't have to go through all the hassle and aggravation to remove the late charges. And, if they can't get the past due status off your account you will be really upset. Its worth preventing this by making another payment now.

15. tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks for all the advice. I am going to make the payment online and then hope I get the credit for their mistake. I would rather pay again to avoid having to try to get them to correctly reverse the possible late charges.

I also spoke with someone with Directv who gave me their direct fax number and assured me that this problem would be taken care of. She made me feel a lot better about this whole situation.

So far, I could not ask for better customer service. Thanks Directv.

16. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Have your bank look into it. Most banks have no problem investigating just this kind of issue

17. leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    Yep. This is what I was going to suggest. I would NOT pay the bill again online. Get your bank involved and they'll help you resolve the situation.

I'm wondering something. I'm wondering why you're so concerned? If it's not due until Monday 1/26 you have plenty of time to resolve the situation before a past due is incurred (a few weeks). And, if you have a record of your check clearing there's really nothing to worry about. One way or another you'll have to show DTV.

Not to be mean or sarcastic but are you new to paying bills? Your problem really sounds like no big deal and should be pretty easy to resolve in due time. A one month bill will not kill your account and/or credit.

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Directv does not report to credit agencies unless the account goes into collections. Follow the instructions send in the fax. The key is make sure that you don't alter the printout in any way. Don't black out items you don't think are relevant or they will make you re fax the item in. They need to ensure that it is a non doctored document. If this is the first time you have had the issue of a late payment call in and ask them to extend the cut off date. There is already a service interuption scheduled you should see the date on your bill. They shouldn't have any problem working with you at all if this is a 1 off situation.

19. Dansport

Dansport Cool Member

Jan 7, 2009
    You'll notice that the due date on the bill is only 20 days after the billing date. Its a friendly 'reminder' to get the payment in before the next bill comes out. The actual due date to avoid a late fee is the day before the next bill comes out.

20. tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    The reason I am worried is because this has happened before only it was with a credit card. I mailed in the payment to pay my account in full. I see next month's statement and I have a finance charge, late fee, and a balance past due. I had an image of the check faxed to the credit card company by my bank and the credit card company said that the back of the check was not ledgable and would not take that as payment. After many calls and letters I finally had to cancel the account.