DirecTV broadband much slower when HR44 connected to router vs Cinema Connection Kit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tivoreno, May 21, 2015.

1. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    So I have an HR44 Genie directly connected to my router with a RVU TV and a couple other clients. I am also using the broadband wiring in the home to extend my "wired" ethernet to another room with a powered broadband ethernet adapter (Gen 1). When performing a speed test with a laptop plugged into this adapter I am only getting about 17 Mbps down out of the 50 Mbps available. However, if I plug an old Cinema Connection Kit I had lying around into the main 8-way splitter, and that into my router instead of the Genie, that same speed test goes up to 45Mbps. What gives? Why is the network performance so much worse when Genie is the "Cinema Connection".

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I had noticed similar. I get faster network performance with use the CCK over having the HR44 act as the bridge

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure of "the why", but I had the same thing when the 44 first came out.

"Could be" the 44 does what it needs to and doesn't do as well for things it wasn't intended to.

In my case I was using HR24s and VOD, but the CCK was still better.

4. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Ditto. Attempted to tidy up some wiring a few months back by removing the CCK and using the HR44 direct connection. Downloads seemed to bog down to dial up speeds. (An exaggeration, but you get my point.) Put it back the way it was and everything went back to normal.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Since I get a whopping 3-4 Mbps, it's of academic interest, but of real interest. Anyone say why this is so?

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I guess I am not surprised by the results, since direct ethernet connection was never an "approved" DIRECTV® way of connecting to the internet

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    but Wireless on the 44 was???

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Yeah" the wireless CCK out performed the 44 WiFi, where they both were next to each other and just a few feet from the router.
    "It seemed" the 44 was choking the VOD to the HR24s.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The wired or wireless CCK are still probably the best connection to the internet, although I've used the 34 as my bridge with no speed problems.

I remember 3 HR44 installations I attended for friends / family 2 summers ago (I think) that included CCKs on the order ($19 - I think) that were connected wireless on the 44 . . .

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "It seemed" the 44 handles internet [to itself] fine, but degrades doing this to other things on the DECA network.
    The CCK "plays nice" with everything.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The easiest "guess" is that the CCK has a dedicated processor with custom software to only do one overall task and the cpu's in dvr/genies have other processes going on as well. Of course this is an oversimplification as the units are powerful enough to do this appropriately if they were configured to do that as well.