DirecTV bundling question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by iowaberg, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1 of 13
    iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    I am a current DTV customer and have been for 10+ years. CentryLink provides internet and bundles with DTV service. Would I be eligible for bundling and get a "new" account with DirecTV? I'm looking to cut some costs, and bundling seems like it would be a good option based on what the CenturyLink site is telling me. I currently have Mediacom internet and am looking at DTV and CenturyLink for a much lower monthly cost.

2. Feb 8, 2014 #2 of 13
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    You can bundle with Centurylink and save $5.00 a month but you don't qualify as a DTV new customer. They just take over billing of your existing account. Centurylink should give you a new customer discount for the internet. The only thing you lose is the ability to see your current Directv bill on the DirecTV web site. I would get the best deal you can from Centurylink and then call DirecTV and ask if you qualify for any discounts. Annually I call both providers and ask the same question. Centurylink has a loyalty department that can give deeper discounts then the front line CSR's. DirecTV has retention that can do the same.

3. Feb 8, 2014 #3 of 13
    iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Right. That's what I figured. My wife wants to temporarily deactivate our DTV account, but that's a last resort for me! :) I wonder if I cancel my DTV account altogether, and then order a new account and bundle with CenturyLink under my wife's name?

4. Feb 8, 2014 #4 of 13
    Phil T

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Since most DirecTV equipment is leased, they would want it back on cancellation. Then they would want a truck roll to establish a new account.

Since you have been with them for 10 years I would call and ask about equipment upgrades and discounts. I understand if you say cancel service twice at the voice prompt, you will get connected with retention. This is where you can get your best deals.

5. Feb 8, 2014 #5 of 13
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I have 2 customers (that I know of) who have CenturyLink bundles and are employed by CenturyLink too (which it is my understanding entitles them to another discount level) and IMO, it seems the savings are quite modest. If even a minor hiccup occurred, it might not be worth the complication of doing it.

(I suspect the bundle options and savings with Prism, if they ever get it working in their locations, will be better, but, sorry, I have no direct info on that, just the hopeful musings of a CenturyLink tech)

6. Feb 8, 2014 #6 of 13
    codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I would not do it. My neighbor cut Time Warner and got DirecTV bundled with CenturyLink almost 2 years ago with a Sunday Ticket promotion. He spent the first 8 months, every single month, on the phone with CL because they kept botching up the billing every month (not giving the promotional deal).

After that, things got better.

I believe though if you ever experience any technical issues, you have to call CL, not DirecTV.

We both realized as a long time customer, I can get better deals, credits, promotions compared to the small monthly savings you get if you bundle with CL.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

7. Feb 9, 2014 #7 of 13
    Phil T

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    This is not true. You deal directly with DirecTV. I have had zero billing issues with Centruylink in the 5+ years I have been bundled. DirecTV considers it as autopay and it sometimes will help you qualify for additional discounts.

8. Feb 9, 2014 #8 of 13
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I would not try the cancel and resub with the wife. First, it's against TOS and second the savings are marginal.

9. Feb 9, 2014 #9 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Classing the savings as "marginal" is a gross understatement. Saving upwards of $30 a month, a season of NFLST, any hardware upgrades and a 24 month package price freeze is nothing to sneeze at.

DIRECTV figures the cost of a "new" customer (SAC) is around $850.

I'm absolutely not advocating account switching, but to suggest that there isn't strong financial motivation for it is ludicrous.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    $30 a month for lying or cheating is cheap; now there's your ludicrous.

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Would the bundle deal vary around the CenturyLink service area ? For outlying Omaha DMA, in my experience, the 'savings' were under $5/mo and with the (inevitable) billing headaches I got the feeling my 2 customers didn't think it was worth it. (and both work for CenturyLink)

They both want Prism when it's available in their areas, however, so there is always hope.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Yet as the ARPU steamed past $100/month, it became a tempting mistress.

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I bundled my DirecTV with CL when I added their DSL service. I got only a $5.00 a month discount on my DirecTV bill for bundling, and for me it wasn't worth it versus having the bills separate and being able to deal with each company separately. Personal preference.

My biggest annoyance with the bundled service had to do with the Caller ID feature on my HR2x's. Once I bundled with CL, there was an app that showed up on my DVRs as a "My CenturyLink" menu item that overroad DirecTV's caller ID feature, which I HUGELY preferred over the arcaic CL app. Not only that but there was a long period of time where the CenturyLink app's caller ID functtion wasn't even working properly and it wasn't a big enough deal for them to fix it.

As it is, once I unbundled again, about every three months that app gets pushed again and I have to deal with getting it removed again (there is a code on my account that shows something like 'grandfathered CenturyLink customer' or something like that) that causes some automatic re-push of the asinine app. Definitely not worth the hassle for me, but again, personal preference.

I certainly found it to be not worth it.