1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv... "buy" the receiver and its actually leased?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by frettfreak, Jun 10, 2010.

1. frettfreak

frettfreak New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    So, i just want to make sure i understand this right... If i want an HD DVR, i have to pay 200 to have it.. AND monthly lease fee and give it back if i leave directv??

Am i understanding this correctly? please tell me i am wrong.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Pretty much.

Sometimes they give you $99 off or the whole $199 if you have been a customer long enough.

As for me, I think that is pretty lame and I buy used owned receivers for less than $100 when I need one, and I get to keep it. It isn't the route for everyone but it works for me. I can provide more details if you are interested

3. frettfreak

frettfreak New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    that would be good. I looked on ebay, but it didnt look like there were that many.. any other places to look? Also, when buying used, is there anything i need to be careful of?

4. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    Yes, you pay close to $200, a monthly lease fee, and return it to DirecTV when you cancel your service. This is the way it has been for a couple years with DirecTV.

There are places you where can purchase a DirecTV DVR, but they are significantly more expensive.

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I don't really get the advantage of outright buying a receiver (New anyway). What's an HD DVR go for right now if you were to actually purchase it? And if you do, I imagine it's the same with leasing-you could wind up with anything (HR20, 21, 22, 23, 24)? You still pay your $5 monthly fee (Instead of Lease fee, it's an additional receiver fee). By the time you actually go to sell the receiver, it isn't worth ANYWHERE what you paid for it (Seriously, what would you pay for an HR21 right now?).

6. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Think of it as a buy down. Some automobile lease rates seem very attractive until you find out that there is a significant non refundable deposit. This also limits the number of cash strapped consumers. Those who want it but can’t afford a higher monthly expense and would probably drop the service before the contract is up, costing more money to D*. You can also look at as an initiation fee to join a elite club.

7. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    It sounds worse than it is. Yes you will pay upfront for something you don't own, but it doesn't really matter much, since if you leave DirecTV, the thing is useless. Sure you might be able to sell it and recoup some of your cash, but if it was owned, the initial cost would be much higher. On top of that, since it is leased, if it breaks, they'll give you a replacement.

8. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    OP - My last D* purchase was a $999 HR10-250 in 2001. I much prefer the current way of doing things.

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    As for that "lease fee", it's the same miroring fee that was charged prior to DirecTV switching to leased receivers and even if you pay the higher price upfront to buy a receiver outright, you still pay an "additional receiver fee" that is the same as the "lease fee".

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And what happens when your owned receiver breaks? Without the Protection Plan, you're out whatever you paid for it. A leased receiver is replaced for the cost of shipping (~$20).

I can't quite figure out what the big deal is about the lease.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    It's something to bitch about until the next system-wide crash.

12. wavemaster

wavemaster Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    Think of it as a deposit, or down payment. Pretty much all leases try to get some commitment cash down.

No Big Deal.

13. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    When they (D*) first did the lease thing... I was not a fan... but after having it for the last few years... it's really a good idea.

14. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    It's actually a good deal for me.

(1) The receivers cost a lot less than the equivalent equipment I used to buy.

(2) Even without the protection plan, I have a lifetime warranty on all my receivers. My HR20-700 is getting long in the tooth. If it dies, for $20, DirecTV will give me a working one, or maybe even a HR24 if I talk sweet enough.

(3) You get a lot of stuff - dishes, DECA, SWiM - for either free or cheap.

(4) DirecTV will give me more new stuff in the future. Every two years, DirecTV puts me into an excellent negotiating position. I get to tell them to give me more free or cheap stuff so I will sign up again.

(5) I plan to be a subscriber for another two years, anyway.

I agree that initially the idea of a lease turned me off. I've always owned my own gear. But in the long run, this system is better for me. What's there not to like?

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you don't want to pay an upfront fee you can get a no frills standard definition receiver, and pay the $5/month lease charge. If you want a top of the line HD DVR then, in my words, charge you an premium upfront charge to offset the increased cost of that HD DVR vs. the SD receiver.

Maybe one day DirecTV might have an option where there is no upfront charge but they charge you $15/month for the lease charge, which is like the cable companies do.

16. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    If buying a receiver, get the Receiver ID number (RID) and call the D* Access Card department. They can tell you if that receiver is in fact an owned receiver. If it isn't an owned receiver you may not be able to activate it (the person selling a leased receiver is selling something they don't own).

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One thing you forgot is the two year contract. But, it's really not that bad. Think of the cable co's. You don't have to pay for the box, but you sometimes have a DVR fee for each DVR (not per account), a fee per month for the boxes, a fee per month for the remote etc. Plus they give you a really bad DVR.

Generally, new customers get a deal, free DVR etc. But we have to pay the leasing cost if we change something out or expand.

18. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    They charged you a monthly fee for each receiver (outside of the first one) back in the old days when you owned the gear.

19. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I don't mind the lease either. Currently i have 3 useless SD receivers, 1 useless SD Tivo DVR, and 1 useless HD Tivo DVR that I own. Just sitting their wasting space in my storage room. If i ever leave DTV at least my 3 current HD DVR's will go away. Plus like everyone else said...since the lease thing came about, i've swapped each of my dvr's a couple times each for free. (I'm a protection plan member)....if i'd have owned them i'd been screwed.

20. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Godfather

Feb 17, 2006
    Doesn't the protection plan replace owned receivers as well?