DirecTV Cable Configuration

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bill18163, May 29, 2019.

1. bill18163

bill18163 New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    I have a HR44 and two minis in my home. If you look at the way the cabling is run it comes in from the dish and goes into the "Power to SWM" port on the power inserter and then the other cable port on the inserter goes out to a 4 way splitter. From there, three cables go out to the HR44 and the two minis in the system. This is the way the DirecTV tech wired it. Everything works fine. Now, I am considering using my receivers in my RV. Would I wire the RV the same as the house? I mean why not? I would use the HR44 for the living room TV and one mini for the bedroom TV using a power inverter and a splitter same as the house is wired. So why when I google "wiring diagrams for DirecTV" am I seeing a "DirecTV 8 Channel SWM" device? Why is this showing up and what is it for? I can't see where I would need it.

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If your dish is not an SWM dish you would need an SWM Multiswitch to convert it to SWM. What dish do you have for the RV?

3. bill18163

bill18163 New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    I haven't purchased a dish yet but when I do it will be a SWM dish. I was looking at a Wineguard G3 also and I am not sure which one to go with. If I use a SWM dish I have to set it up at every campground and I would not have to do that with the G3. Your response and answer to my question helped a lot because the G3 requires the SWM Multiswitch and I couldn't figure out why. The G3 is not SWM and requires the SWM Multiswitch and from your answer I now know why. Thanks again for your help.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That G3 dish won't work. You need an HD-capable dish, like the Winegard Trav'ler. Or set up a Slimline dish on a tripod.

5. bill18163

bill18163 New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    From Wineguard the G3 is supposed to work with DirecTV. The G3 is not a SWM device so you have to use a SWM Multiswitch in the setup. You will end up getting only DirecTV SAT 101 according to Wineguard. If I was to use a SWM dish I would only need a Power Inserter and a splitter to operate two TV's and I would get access to all the SAT's that I get at my home except the local channels. But I would have to set up and aim the dish every time. That would be the trade off from using the Wineguard which sets itself up.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If I'm reading the Winegard page correctly, with the G3 you'll only be able to watch one channel at a time.

7. bill18163

bill18163 New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    I spoke with a rep at Wineguard and that's where I learned that the G3 is not a SWM device and that when you set it up you will only be able to get the channels on SAT 101 using DirecTV. However he did say that you could get different channels on the two TV's at the same time but only on SAT 101.

8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I think you need to be very careful about this. First, I don't think anyone actually knows which channels will come from 101. Second, at least on some of the receivers (HR44 was one) you couldn't select a single LNB dish with SWM, because it wasn't a DirecTV "legal" config. They may have changed this by now, but you need to be sure.