DirecTV called

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR23 Discussion (private)' started by JamesTPDI, Oct 2, 2008.

1. JamesTPDI

JamesTPDI Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    I got a call from DIRECTV last night telling me that my "black" DVR was reporting signal issues and that they would like to come check it out free of charge. They did not know the model number (and I didn't tell them it is the HR23). We checked out the signal strength on 103 and some transponders where in the 60s. They told me that the unit contacts them once a day (it is Ethernet connected but not phone) and had flagged the problem. I have not noticed any problem but may not be watching the problem channels.

They scheduled a visit for the 16th.

Anything I should be aware of?

James

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No, if the tech asks about the model number, then just politely let him know the circumstances and explain to him that it is pretty much the same thing as the HR21-700. It may not even come up as it sounds like and antenna/cabling issue vs. anything on the receiver.

One key point, though .. If you would normally use a BBC (not SWM), make sure that the tech realizes that this model receiver DOES NOT use BBCs even though he may want to put one on there.

3. JamesTPDI

JamesTPDI Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    Actually the signal strength is very close to my HR20-700 for 103. so either the HR23 is not as good a reciever or the HR20 doesn't report.

4. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    What values are you getting for the differnet transponders? You should see 80s and 90s. Less than that , you probably have an alignment problem.

Bob

5. JamesTPDI

JamesTPDI Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    There are several in the 70's and sometimes in the high 60's on 103. The other sats seem fine.

It's great that DriveTV is being procative and coming to fix it before I knew there was a problem!

In my day job we are making systems that allow remote diagnostics, it's good to see this in a consumer product.

James

6. JamesTPDI

JamesTPDI Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    The teck's came last night. 103 was not peaked properly. All is well. They did not see the HR23.

James

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Good job, James. What HR23? :)

And very glad you're system is peaked again.

Cheers,
    Tom