1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv, cancel or put account on hold?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rick52768, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rick52768

rick52768 Mentor

Oct 11, 2008
    Okay, this may be blasphemy but due to a ever tightening budget I must do without Directv for about 12 months. Doing the Netflix and FTA antenna which is not the same by any means, but $7.95 compared to $93 and no movie channels is not either. So my question is which route makes the most sense? Put my service on hold for 6 months at a time (I have no contact btw) or cancel it and if I decide to get service again benefit from a new box or lower new costumer prices? I have the $25 per month loyalty credit which I had to call to get, so I will lose that. Opinions? Thanks

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would put it on hold. If you cancel, you may get deals to get you back but no guarantee. You will not be considered a new customer unless you're gone for 2 years. I believe if you restart, you'd lose the $25 credit.

After suspending, you can always go ahead and cancel. But if you come back, unless you get an HR34 there is no guarantee you'd get new equipment (by that time you may not be able to guarantee a new HR34 either.)

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd go with the suspension for [max] six months, as it gives you the most options/flexibility, but during this time the credit "clock" keeps running.

4. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I suspended my account last month. When I mentioned that I wasn't sure if six months would be long enough, the CSR said to call back and I could get it extended at least a month or two. It sounds like there is some flexibility there.

5. rick52768

rick52768 Mentor

Oct 11, 2008
    Found this on Directv's site "Customers with only 1 account are allowed a maximum of 2 suspend requests every 12 months" and "Total time with service suspended per 12 month period can not exceed 6 months". So hopefully they will be flexible, or I will likely put the service on hold for 6 months and hope I win the lottery in the meantime or cancel it. BTW, I am looking into MythTv for DVR use as well. IT guy at work pointed me in that direction.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You might want to check out iptvconnection.com. I don't know if they handle solutions like MythTV, but they may have forums of interest. It's a sister site of DBSTalk.