1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV CEO Says $30 Price for Premium Films Is ‘Awfully High’

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Tom Robertson, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    From Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-30-price-for-premium-films-is-too-high-.html
    We knew it too and I personally think it was a good experiment to verify what the market will do. Now they need to move the timeline up or the pricing down. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

2. Bonneville44

Bonneville44 AllStar

Aug 25, 2011
    Given Hollywood output lately, ssouds like the price will have to come down, because the quality isn't exactly creeping up.... did you hear they are remaking basically every movie Patrick Swayze ever starred in? Is it really time for a Point Break remake? Did we need that? I'd rather have a sequel... what is Keanu up to these days?

3. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I actually agreed with Swanni on this one. $30 for one movie IS "too damn high". It's half that to see it in the theater the day it comes out, and with the other 15 bucks I could get drinks and snacks. (I don't have any kids).

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    When it is just the two of us, at matinee prices we spend about $20 these days. When we take the grandtibbers and great grandtibbers... Well it can be much more than $30. :)

But we don't wait that long for a movie we really want to see.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I will not pay $30 for a movie on Blu Ray when it comes out, so there is zero chance that I'll pay $30 for a PPV.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I saw Swanni post this on Twitter, and he posted it something like 7 times with different comments, "Mike White should be ashamed" etc.

I asked him if posting the same link that many times was a bit excessive, he responded that he "was ranting."

7. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    This. The most I have ever paid for a blu ray was $20 and that was maybe once. Almost all of my blu rays were bought for $10, although I must admit that I rarely buy new movies anymore since so few of them are worth buying so I'm sure newer movies cost more.

8. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    To paraphrase that guy in New York, the movies are "too damn high!"

9. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Actually, went with my wife and daughter to the matinee of Dolphin Tale yesterday:

Tickets: $19.50
    Concessions: $28.25 (2 bottles water, sm. popcorn, nachos, pretzel, lg. drink)

Total: $47.75

Plus had to sit in uncomfortable seats because we had to go to a different theater to see the non-3D version and their seats are horrible.

Had we gone in the evening, the tickets would have been $23.50. Getting pretty close to the $30 price.

But the movie quality has to go up and the timeline down.

10. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Well we always go to the matinee and sneak in snacks and drinks in her purse, unless we have a gift card.

11. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    For me, $30 is way too high. If I am going to spen $30 for a movie I am going for the full theater experience. I actually enjoy going to the theater because we have a nice one in a really nice part of town. The people all seem to have good theater etiquette.

12. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    For kicks I went looking to see what is available for $30 these days and couldn't find the area these are in. Have they completely done away with it until they figure out a better pricing point or am I missing it?

13. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    We rarely watch a PPV movie, and don't own a BlueRay.
    If I can wait 8 weeks, I can wait 8 months or more till it's on a premium channel.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......I've been a DirecTV customer for sixteen years and can count the number of PPVs I've ordered on my hands with fingers left over. I only had to wait a week to see the Mayweather/Ortiz fight on HBO. As I stated once before I have never enjoyed a movie less for waiting for it to be broadcast on a premium channel.

15. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    They come and go. It all depends on what movie they can get from the studio. Last one I remember was Monte Carlo and that was because my daughter wanted to see it. Fortunately it left before she could plan a slumber party.

If you are looking at the banner ads just below channel 125, on the left side instead of it saying DirecTV Cinema (or something like that), it will say Home Premier. That is about the only differentiation you will see. I guess they want subs to think it is as much like a regular PPV as much as possible. Until they get the bill. :eek2:

16. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Be that as it may..... going to the movies is something you "experience". The screen is lifesize, the sound around you is perfect, you won't be disturbed by mother-in-laws calling or neighbors knocking on the door (or church people feeling the need to sell you on THEIR church).

You get out of the house, you turn your cell phone off, and me and my wife usually take a bottle of water + candy in her purse. Matinee tickets here are $8, so for $16 the two of us can watch a movie, and the built-in Starbucks at our theater still sells their drinks at regular Starbucks prices (maybe 10% more), so for $5 each we can get a large name-your-latte-here, and for less then $30 we get to experience the movie on a BIG screen.

Sorry, it is just not worth it to spend $30 to watch it on a small screen at home. Especially not since I can get that same movie for FREE using.... well.... not so legal methods. I mean, if I am going to watch it at home, why pay for it at all? And THAT is why i prefer going to the movies. Me and my wife don't go that much, maybe 4 times a year at most, only to movies we really want to see..... but it beats sitting on the same-old, same-old couch that we watch regualar TV at.

If the movies were $15, I might consider it. But even then, the $16 matinee price for just the two of us still beats it in experience, so for me to even bite, the movie would have to be $10.

17. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I agree about the theater experience for some big action movies, but for rom-coms, my 70" screen is big enough. And too many of these movies are 3D-only (at least around here) these days and I don't want to see it anywhere.

Had my daughter been able to arrange her slumber party, I would have bought them the movie. That would have been a cheap way to entertain a group of pre-teen girls.

18. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Not really surprising. Everyone and their mother saw that price and laughed at yet another shockingly stupid move by the movie industry. They really are run by the biggest morons in that industry.

Every single time they movie industry has a chance to put themselves into significant competition for a present or future move, they find a way to not only screw consumers tremendously, but do so and continue doing it for years

The price of $30 would be acceptable if it was done near or close to the release. That's it. Why anyone thinks it is ok after 8 weeks...I mean, I would LOVE to hear someone explain how that would actually work

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Personally I much prefer watching a movie at home.

It's much quieter than our local theaters. There are just the two of us.

We can pause the movie if we want to get a snack or use the bathroom. We're both pretty old.

Our recliners are much more comfortable than the theater seats.

There are no ads or endless previews of coming distractions before the movie starts at home. And the movie can start at our convenience.

If one of us doesn't like the movie he or she can get up and go to another room. At a theater we're stuck until the end of the show unless we both dislike the picture.

That said, I still wouldn't pay $30 for a movie four to eight weeks out of theater release.

20. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    Well, I hope that the price is lower and it shows up sooner on PPV. I have a pretty nice home theater and enjoy the picture and sound much more than at the movies.