Directv changed my package without permission

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jdh8668, Mar 31, 2020.

1. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    Just got off the phone with AT&T and found out when working out my pricing for the next year, that the rep I talked to in February, moved me from Total Choice (the old grandfathered package) to Choice without telling me. Now today's rep said she couldn't move me back. On top of that, the discounts they had promised me weren't on my bill (in fact my bill went up even higher.) So I just fired off a complaint to the FCC along with the chat transcripts. It gets old dealing with this company. This will be the 4th year in a row I have had to turn them into the FCC for false promises. After filing a complaint, I always get a call from ATT's president's office and they always give me what was originally promised. Why do they have to play these games?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They work in an environment where lying is accepted. And they are dumb enough to think everybody is gonna believe them, which is true of liars everywhere. You've done this before and it still happens. A "smart" company would have your account flagged so it doesn't keep happening. Add to all this the fact that the CSRs don't know what they are doing and it's easy to see why it keeps happening. Keep up the good fight!

Rich

3. Dishdude714

Dishdude714 New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I have learned to try and get whatever rep I am talking too name and some of other sort of info...just in case. Sometimes it may help sometimes not, people can lie, but maybe it might help in the future

4. Apr 1, 2020 #4 of 17
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    When dealing with CSRs always get their name and ID number. Tends to keep things honest and professional.

5. Apr 1, 2020 #5 of 17
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    You can always try filling out this form. Keep in mind CSRs even Loyalty only have 30 days from the date of the change to put a customer back on a grandfathered package after the 30 day grace period they can't reinstate it but this form is worth a shot. This is why anytime I call in for myself or my mother I check the accounts online right after every call or chat to see if there was any base package change. One time some agent moved my mom from Preferred Xtra to Xtra after I called to get her a discount. I called right back after checking her account online and the agent put her back on Preferred Xtra.

Office of the President Contact Form

Rich likes this.
  6. Apr 1, 2020 #6 of 17
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wish you luck with that. If you get lucky you might get someone who has worked at D* for years but what you usually get is someone without a clue.

Rich

Dishdude714 likes this.
  7. Apr 1, 2020 #7 of 17
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    You are lucky to even get to talk to anyone these days.

8. Apr 1, 2020 #8 of 17
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    True. I have one 24-100 that is shot and limping along. I gotta get it replaced and I don't want to make the call.

Rich

9. Apr 1, 2020 #9 of 17
    Dishdude714

Dishdude714 New Member

Dec 2, 2019

I been there way too many times. I seem to hey lucky with the loyalty department...but I always get skeptical until I get my bill. Usually they been also going over what was talked about, and what if any changes were actually made

10. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    What is it doing- overheating because of the stupid fan design in the -100’s?

11. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Oh boy a FCC complaint! I bet that shows them.

SledgeHammer, MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Somehow I doubt the OP actually filed 4 FCC complaints and actually got 4 responses from them about lying CSRs lol :rolleyes: -- you know -- since the FCC doesn't actually have anything to do with that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    MysteryMan likes this.
  13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's acting like a 24-500. Goofy. One minute the sound doesn't work. RBR fixes that. The internal HDD is shot, have to use an external SSD. Keeps crashing for no reason that I can see. I checked the temps, seems fine. Not gonna worry about it, my son uses it once every blue moon. Easiest thing to do is replace it, I'll do that when things settle down.

Rich

14. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    I wouldn't take that bet. Already had two responses from the FCC telling me I will be getting that AT&T call. When dealing with CSR's, always use chat and have the chat transcript emailed to you. Hard for them to argue if its in writing.

15. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    So now it's gone from 4 to 2? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I still don't believe you since again... 1) the FCC doesn't respond to individual complaints 2) they have no jurisdiction over cable billing

Filing an Informal Complaint

Complaints about issues not covered by the FCC
    While the FCC can help consumers with many types of complaints, there are many issues – such as consumer fraud or cable billing – which are be best addressed by local, state or federal agencies or authorities that have jurisdiction over these issues.

For problems with rates for basic cable television service or cable television service quality that you can't resolve directly with the company, contact your Local Franchising Authority (LFA). Contact information for your LFA can be found on your cable service bill or in your local telephone directory.

Basically, if you read how the informal system works, they just analyze it for long term trends.

And before you tell us you filed a "formal" complaint, it costs $225 to file one and it works almost like a court case. If you spent $1000 to save $20 on a cable bill, well... lol...

It Just Got Easier for the FCC to Ignore Your Complaints

An FCC spokesman told WIRED Wednesday the change to the informal complaint process was only intended to clarify that the agency doesn't act on individual complaints.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  16. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I don't know about the FCC but I know if you file a complaint with the BBB you will get a call from the Office of the President.

17. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    Not sure what your problem is sledgehead, but yes they do respond to individual complaints. And have sent me two responses to my recent one. Here is my most recent:

Thank you for your submission. Based on our review, your Ticket No. 3907101 was served on your provider on Apr 2.

Here's what you can expect from the FCC's informal complaint process:

- Your provider should contact you directly in an effort to resolve your issue.
    - The FCC's role in this process is to facilitate a conversation between you and your provider.
    - Your provider is required to submit to the FCC a written response regarding your issue no later than 30 days from today.
    - The FCC will not contact you until we receive a response from your provider.

SO YES THEY DO RESPOND TO INFORMAL REQUESTS. AND THESE DO GET ACTION FROM DIRECTV. I HAVE HAD OVER $60 per mo.over the past three soon to be four years. SORRY YOU GET SO EASILY BUTTHURT. JUST TRYING TO HELP EVERYONE OUT.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    mnassour and Rich like this.