DIRECTV Cinema Field Trial, Week 2 (6/04) - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Cinema Field Trial (private)' started by Greg Alsobrook, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 4, 2010 #1 of 81
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Feel free to discuss all aspects of the new DIRECTV cinema implementation here. Offer your feedback, suggestions, and constructive criticism. Thanks. :)

2. Jun 4, 2010 #2 of 81
    Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    So I'm the only one with Crazy Heart? Thought I saw others posted that as available form the Q.

3. Jun 4, 2010 #3 of 81
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I have it ready to watch.

4. Jun 4, 2010 #4 of 81
    Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    OK just downloaded for HR24-500. Black screen so far. Info banner says, "cinema test channel for Cutting Edge". That is all :)

5. Jun 4, 2010 #5 of 81
    Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    Everything seems fine on my HR23-700. Downloaded 03EB and channel 1096 is there. Tooth Fairy is in my Playlist and Avatar is there too. Greg I'm also getting 1096 on that second receiver I submitted. I wasn't until this CE. Did you get it in on time?

6. Jun 4, 2010 #6 of 81
    Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    OK 1096 up on HR24-500 :) Same screens as HR20 - including "The Lovely Bones" in Top Picks which seems to be stuck behind the white semi-opaque background, like there's a layering problem.

7. Jun 5, 2010 #7 of 81
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm seeing the same layering deal on 1096.

Also, if I hit the arrow over to select a show from the 3 images listed, I can only get to "The Men Who Stare At Goats". I cannot move down to select "Fantastic Mr. Fox", which is the 3rd movie I see in the top picks.

8. Jun 5, 2010 #8 of 81
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel queezy about ordering movies and having to pay for them up front, and then get a credit later? At $6 a pop, I really could see testing this stuff running my bill up way beyond what I can afford...So I guess Ill just test it to see if the movies download, but Im not going to watch any more of them.

9. Jun 5, 2010 #9 of 81
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I'm a little concerned about it, I think I will only watch what I could afford if something went wrong until we start seeing that everything is in place for the credits. Hopefully they are applied quick, like within 3 days or something.

I am not too worried about it, I just would hate to watch 10 movies and find out something wasn't right. I am sure they would send us all HR24s to make up for it though :)

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    None of the 12 movies in my Q have downloaded. Earlier, looking in the all category of 1096, Wolfman had a green check mark next to it, which I assume it meant it was ready to watch.

I downloaded tonight's CE and now the checkmark is gone, I have no movies to watch yet.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    All Ive gotten so far is Avatar, which I hadnt seen before, and would probably be the only movie in the list that I would have considered paying for. Other than that one, which appeared yesterday, nothing else has shown up.

12. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    The opaque titles usually indicates that the title has not downloaded yet but that was for the on demand stuff. Not sure how it applies here.

13. DanER40

DanER40 Legend

Oct 25, 2007
    If we are expected to pay and then wait for reinbursement I can't do it. I am on disability and my wife who was laid off just got back to only part time.

Can I get an answer on this? Will we pay and get credited the following month or longer than that? Not that I don't trust D*, mix ups happen and I can't waste money even though I would like to be a part of the trial.

I did watch The Wolfman tonight and all went perfectly.

14. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've noticed those ever since channel 1096 returned after being down for a day. I thought the new CE would clear that up but no dice.

This looks like something else. It's not just the title, it's the whole "poster" and you can barley see it through the white-out.

15. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    This morning, after last night's CE download, Crazy Heart still shows in my Playlist, but no longer appears with a green Q on page 1096. Interestingly, Avatar does show a green Q on 1096, despite being downloaded on last week's CE just like Crazy Heart.

Another inconsistency: Avatar shows in my Playlist with a green Q and the ($) symbol as expected. However, after selecting Crazy Heart this morning, I got an immediate purchase confirmation dialog; after about 20 seconds I canceled out and went back to the Playlist. The green Q changed to a blue (K) (keep until I delete) symbol. I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense from a consistency standpoint.

Finally, last week I added The Wolfman to my Queue. It appeared in my Queue list from the Manage Recordings list. This morning it is no longer listed in my Queue, though it still appears to be available to watch instantly from the Directv reserved portion of the disk.

16. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I realize all of our personal situations are different, but maybe this trial isn't for everyone. I have done several different trials for several differnt types of products and services for several years now, along w/ many of the more veteran participants of DBStalk/CE. I don't have any concerns w/ not getting the credits.

Please keep in mind the mods ARE NOT getting their information from front line CSR's and the like. For every field trial, any information that has ever been passed along it is always correct and accurate. I feel 100% comfortable that is not going to be an issue when it comes to the credits. I'm confident the credits will come quickly and accurate.

With respect, maybe some should reconsider partcipating in this particular trial and wait for something down the line they feel more comfortable with.

Just sayin' :)

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well said. If you're not comfortable, let a moderator know. No hard feelings.

18. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Still no downloads here. I've set all 3 devices up to download various movies but haven't gotten anything.

I do see 1096 on everything now.

19. afulkerson

afulkerson MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

Jan 14, 2007
    After fridays download I queued up movies on both of my HR24-500. As of this morning nothing has downloaded on any of my receivers. MyHR20-100 has had movies queued up since last week and still nothing.

20. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I'm not getting any new downloads either, but I did save some money on my car insurance yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.