DIRECTV Cinema Field Trial, Week 3 (6/11) - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Cinema Field Trial (private)' started by Greg Alsobrook, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Feel free to discuss all aspects of the new DIRECTV cinema implementation here. Offer your feedback, suggestions, and constructive criticism. Thanks. :)

2. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    Still waiting for the first movie to download. It's has been a week.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Still waiting on my HR24. :(

But I'll be grabbing this week's CE on my other HR's tonight...

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I'm still seeing the whited out "Top Picks" on 1096, same as before. I wonder if that's a broadcast problem or a firmware problem? Be nice if it could be fixed before the next CE.

5. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    Just finished watching Edge of Darkness no issues to report, video and audio were perfect and trickplay worked great.

6. CorkyMuldoon

CorkyMuldoon Godfather

Oct 6, 2006
    Got to watch The Wolfman week before last. A number of assets in the queue, but nothing available in the list (yet).

7. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    I'm not sure if the recording not showing is an issue or by design. IMO I think it's a design decision (Don't display recording until complete). This movie is 1 hour and 57 minutes and if it was recorded at 9:00 would complete at 10:57.

8. CorkyMuldoon

CorkyMuldoon Godfather

Oct 6, 2006
    Cleared my queue and added Edge of Darkness and found it to be immediately available.

Went through the watch/buy steps, confirmed, was thanked by my TV screen, but nothing happened.

Reading the description again, it says I won't be charged until I tune to the PPV channel to watch it. Attempting to tune *9981 or hitting play in the asset menu don't do anything.

Long and short - this is clugy!

9. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Well, finally have a movie available on my HR24-500. Shutter Island shows as immediately available. Nothing else has downloaded on either box since last weekend, I don't believe.

10. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Watched Shutter Island last night. There were two pixellation events that lasted less than a second. PQ is quite excellent.

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Sure hope I get something to report soon. Watched Edge of Darkness with no issues.

Don't want to ruin the ending:
    It was a decent movie too, it is nice to see people stand up for what is right and see everyone who deserved to get shot get shot.

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
  13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    After I have purchased it, they are showing up via MRV but I have no idea they are there until then unless I look on the DVR. It could be because the client is an H, not an HR.

14. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    None of the three movies are purchased yet. I want to wait until my family can watch them with me. However, it's not very convenient if I have to go to a particular DVR/TV to watch it.

Mike

15. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I'm seeing the same thing. I assumed it was because they are 1080p.

16. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I can't even see them in the playlist....but, I have both the HR21 & the HR24 on the same TV and it is 1080p so it shouldn't make a difference.

Mike

17. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Same here Mike.

I can click on the green check marked movies, but they are not showing as downloaded to my DVR.

I saw a message of something stating that it was in downloaded to my drive.

18. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Once you purchase the movie, you can view it via MRV. You can't see it before you do that.

I think it's a PITA, I should be able to see what's available on any DVR via MRV. That's one of the reasons for subscribing to it.

19. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    VOLUME, or lack of it.

Once again I went from a movie selection to live TV, and once again I was concerned I might blow a speaker.

I don't know if its due to compression or what.... but this is going to be a no-go in most homes. The volume level on Edge Of Darkness was low enough that I had to basically "crank it". Although the sound was great, its still just too low of a volume level during playback. If someone like me, forgets to turn down the volume they may be in for a heck of a surprise when going back to live.

20. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Watched Shutter Island and the Wolfman over the weekend with no issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.