1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

directv.com or local installer??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by zimm0who0net, Dec 27, 2011.

1. zimm0who0net

zimm0who0net Legend

Aug 27, 2002
    I'm in Tucson and looking to do a brand new DirecTV install. Are there any benefits or drawbacks to using one of the many local "Satellite TV" installation guys (or the guy at Best Buy) vs. just going with DirecTV directly on their web site. I have no direct experience (or even indirect experience) with any of the local satellite guys so I certainly couldn't pick one out other than randomly looking through the yellow pages.

2. beestea

beestea AllStar

Dec 13, 2006
    It probably varies from area to area, but in my experience the DirecTV contracted installers do an excellent job. I don't really see an advantage to going with a 3rd party.

3. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Deals may vary slightly, so you might want to check both places. Also, local dealers may be able to promise you specific models, if that is important to you.

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I've always found that Directv Installs are the way to go and if not happy they will back up their service and I have not had a problem (one exception) with Directv and that one exception was handled and it was Free because of his incompetence but mostly I have had quality installers.

5. zimm0who0net

zimm0who0net Legend

Aug 27, 2002
    Thanks. Honestly I have not seen any difference in the deals so far, but I have not really looked around. Seems that everyone is offering the same thing.

One quick question. When i sign up online it appears that it always selects a bunch of Premium channels. I guess that's fine because they're free for 3 months, but I don't really watch those channels so I don't really want to pay for them. Looking at the fine print it appears that I could get stuck with a whopping $480 fee if I turn them off after 3 months. (fine print says that downgrading or disconnecting your programming triggers the fee). Do they really kill you if you decide to turn off the HBO/Starz/Cinemax/Showtime before 24 months?

6. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    when i signed up i got the choice ultimate package... few days after the install i decided that all i was gaining was a few movie channels witch i don't watch so i downgraded to choice XTRA and did not get any "Fees" for doing so..

I memory serves me well i remember being told once that DTV puts that in the fine print to try to insure that you stay the whole 2 yr commitment, as long as u keep at least the choice package or greater you should be okay..

as far as hbo, stars, and all the other ones... i told the rep when i signed up that i didn't want them cause i don't watch them... i was told enjoy them for 3 months and call us then to cancel. from what the rep was saying (might be BS) by taking that off early, the computer screws up the new customer discounts.

7. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Go with a retailer.....

They will have BRAND NEW equipment, HR34 available for $99, and even if the retailer screws up the job, directv will still come and fix it for free and charge back the retailer.....so the retailers usually have pretty good guys. I dont have any charge backs, and I always give a cell number you can call for your personal installer.

They will also get you setup for your RV or ice shack or whatever else you need than corporate wont do for you.

Or, check sams club, menards, or walmart, they have another $10 off a month offer on top of the current promo that NO ONE can match.....Not sure about their installers yet though.....they just got the contracts this year to work in these clubs.

8. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    In my area (I can't speak for markets other than the two that I work in), the retailers that Sams, Menards, Walmart, and Best Buy hire are an absolute JOKE. Do NOT under and circumstances let one of these chuckleheads anywhere near your house with a drill (if they even have one of their own).

I'm glad you posted this jodean, because just now I'm getting home from re-installing one of these Best Buy abominations. Here are some photo's. Keep in mind that this is one of the better jobs I've seen from a retailer.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I alluded to above, this idiot didn't even have a drill. He gave the customer a hard time about her husband not owning a drill (husband wasn't home at the time of installation) and asked her where he could buy one and return it after he completed the job :confused:

This is not an isolated incidence. I cringe whenever I get a service order without previous activity information (meaning that our HSP didn't do the installation). All of my coworkers would give you the same advice.

9. zimm0who0net

zimm0who0net Legend

Aug 27, 2002
    Wait, did he really run the cable through an open basement window which now cannot be closed?

10. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    ndole,, taking a look at the 'after' looks nice, BUT taking a closer look at the ground, why did you leave the paint on the cable? That's cot a connection, just looks that way.

YOU FAIL........

11. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    I too have had to rebuild dozens, if not not near 100 by now of the best buy, sams, cosco, walmart installs done by the local hacks they have doing them.

It comes down to this...

Directv provides X amt of sales spiff to the dealers that make a sale. by and large every dealer is going to have the same amt. If you have one dealer that is providing a VASTLY larger spiff to the customer, *$200 - $300 gift cards, free tv's ect* that money must be coming from somewhere. From what i have seen, it's because they are also claiming to have 'installers' that will do their own install and they use some/most of the install money to sweeten the deal to the victim/customer they lured in resulting in vastly underpaid, untrained, and under motivated installers.

now, that being said.

I have also followed behind some installs from small AV specialty companies that did wonderful installs. Those installs are usually quite complex, and quite costly. Not all dealers are hacks.

when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it.

If your going to go buy a stock, off the lot ford, do you go to sams car lot, or do you go to a ford dealership?

12. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    You know, you don't have to scrape off any more paint than the split bolt is going to bond to.

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It's a crawlspace, but yes.

14. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    See, told ya

If for some reason you get some jackass installer, O&O will come fix it anyway, plus you get the great discount.....

For the most post the pics above wont happen. Whoever installed that got backcharged more than he got paid for the job itself. Even an idiot cant make money that way.....

Anyway, not sure who did this above noted install.....because Best Buy has O&O install their jobs.......

I dont think they guys at Sams club are retailers.....not from how he described it to me, and he was the owner

15. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007

Yup, you can have someone come out and hack up your install, causing you days/weeks of heartache and grief, and unknown damage to your house...

OR

you can just call Directv and have the authorized installers in the area come out and do it right the first time.

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Best Buy has their own sales company. They contract a retailer.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sometimes I just can't let these go by without a comment.

"So the best thing to do is...."

Have some untrained, uncertified, hack come out and do a crappy install, because you can save a few bucks, "And then" call DirecTV to complain and get a trained & certified installer out to correct the mess.

Now I wonder who it is that cleans up Jodean's work, because he has stated his isn't certified, his "training" has always been questionable, and he thinks he knows more than the O&Os.

"Sometimes" it just might be better to keep your mouth shut instead of showing your weaknesses. :nono:

18. zimm0who0net

zimm0who0net Legend

Aug 27, 2002
    Can I get the referral discount if I use a local installer?

19. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    NO

20. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Yes