DirecTV Contract Conundrum

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mirak, Dec 28, 2019.

1. mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I’ve been a DTV customer for over 5 years. Other than the not-insignificant hassle of resetting the pricing each year, I’ve been very pleased with the service.

This past year, I had been getting the Choice package plus 50mbps internet with one Genie for about $95/mo. $100 is my threshhold - anything more and I’m ready to chuck it and stream.

Then last month, my promos expired and my price shot up to $150. I called a few times - played the typical “game” - and now they’ve got me down to $78/mo for the next year - which is a pretty sweet deal for all that I mentioned above.

There’s just one wrinkle: I’ve added a TV and now I want a second Genie mini. And that’s only an extra 5-6 bucks a month which is no big deal, BUT they are insisting on a 2yr contract commitment!

So is that 2yr contract commitment just for the price of the extra mini, or for all my services? I assume the latter, in which case I can’t possibly commit to a 2yr contract when my pricing is only good for the first year. After that, they’d have me by the short hairs, so to speak.

Anybody know a way around this? The advantage of streaming service is I don’t have to hassle with receivers at all, but the DTV deal I’ve currently got is a way better price than what standalone internet plus a couple streaming services would cost.

It all seems so ridiculous: I’m offering to pay DTV more money for that second Genie and stay with their service, but they won’t give it to me without a 2yr commitment. Hell, I’d even give them a 2yr commitment if they gave me a 2yr price commitment!

Thoughts?

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If they provide a receiver, you are locked in for 2 years. A way around is this is if you have have a Directv Ready/RVU TV. They aren't too popular any more but that doesn't need a receiver.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I dont think they will activate a RVU TV Anymore They also havent been made in 2 years i think

4. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    A possible idea is to install an HDMI powered splitter to feed 2 TV's from 1 box. The same channel must be viewed from each TV. I'm using this setup .

carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had a couple D* installers in my home a couple weeks ago. They had no idea RVU was dead. Had to take them to the newer sets to prove my point.

Rich

6. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Another alternative, use a splitter and an HDMI over Ethernet extender. I've had very good results with those. As before, you're viewing the same channel.

7. mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Ok. This is a brilliant but obvious idea. Unfortunately the TVs are on two different levels so it’s not an ideal setup for channel surfing, but as long as the hdmi can work over WiFi without significant degradation in quality, that’s a decent workaround. I’ll look into splitters on Amazon but let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well another though... how many TVs do you have? Put a streaming box on the least used one and just use apps to watch tv on that one.

carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this.
  9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There are no "HDMI over ethernet" extenders, they are HDMI over cat5/cat6 wiring extenders. You can't run it wirelessly, it will only work wired.

Rich likes this.
  10. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Just get the additional mini if you ask them nicely they might supply it for free. So big deal an additional 2 year commitment. I had a new 2 year commitment last year when I upgraded to a Genie for free. This year I called them after 1 year and they renewed my discount for an additional year. The ETF (Early Termination Fee) was only $10 / month but they gave me a $45 / month discount so I am way ahead even if I had to cancel and pay the ETF.

11. mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Huh. So that’s even easier. I think I can get a DirecTV app on my new LG OLED. So can I use that to stream all the channels I get? Can I use it playback stuff from my DVR?

12. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Do you think you will leaving in 2 years? --The Price goes up every year anyway - How often and who is viewing the other TV? all that depends on your use alone.

Get the receiver - 2 years will be by you before you know it

Rich likes this.
  13. mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    If I commit to two years, then what reason would DTV have to negotiate my price when my promos expire in one year? I have all the leverage now because I can walk.

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You cant As Stated several times RVU is no longer supported

2018 was the last LG Model Year that supported the app You also cant download it anymore

15. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I think you would be better off cancelling at the end of your commitment. Obviously the chance that they might not renew your discount for the second year of a two year commitment is a risk you cannot or will not accept, even though many posters including myself have mentioned that they have been able to renew the discount while still under contract. I would suggest switching to a streaming service other than ATT where there is not a commitment.

armchair, Rich and compnurd like this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try that. They will tell you to hit the road. You have no leverage.

Rich

gio12, MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    That is the situation I am in now. The first year of my contract they gave me a $50 per month discount. Would not renew it for the second year and after calling multiple times I finally was able to get a $20 per month discount for the second year. However it seems others here can call while they still have multiple discounts on their account still get more discounts. No rhyme or reason to the way they hand out discounts.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Agreed. There is no “leverage” anymore

Rich likes this.
  19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Same thing I went thru and ended up with the same discount. They have a plan, might be the usual goofy plan, who knows?

Rich

20. mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Not sure what we’re even talking about anymore, but obviously there is leverage. I’m getting 50mbps Internet, 100+ channels, and a DVR for around $75 a month. You’d think I’d have gotten that pricing if I was still under contract?

I don’t have a problem with contracts, btw, just contracts that lock me in for longer than my price commitment. I’ll commit just as far as DTV will. Fair is fair.