1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV customer service after install/protection plan question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JDubbs413, May 20, 2017.

1. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    I just re-activated my service yesterday after several years. Glad to have the service itself back! However odd customer service issues seem to still exist. Like waking up on install day to a text saying the install time had been moved? Called and got that resolved wasn't a big deal and the installer arrived during original window. But I also wanted the original protection plan for 7.99. Rep said I wouldn't pay for it the first month but then for next 12 months it would be 7.99. So I have auto bill on and my first bill came out already (day 2). Never heard of a company taking money out of your account before statement can even be viewed. But again not a big deal, ultimately amount should be same right? Gotta be paid sometime. I noticed I was charged 7.99 for the protection plan. Not a big deal since I am actually an old customer figured it just continued even though rep said otherwise. Easy to be confused. But it said "upgrade to protection premier (19.99) will occur 6/19". Uhh what? I never agreed to premier and it wasn't even discussed. So i called in and had to tell the rep three times that it says "Protection Plan Premier" before he finally accepted it and said he fixed it and added a credit. Problem solved right?

Nope. I get on my account online and now I am on the highest plan that is like 24.99 or something would have to look at exact number. I call back and first thing the rep says is "sure looks like you have called in a lot last two days". I have called in twice. And really shouldn't be making this call now. But I tried as politely as I could to explain the situation and he ultimately has truly resolved the issue. Has anyone else had anything like this? Did a rep do this on purpose? Or is this a common mistake? Not too impressed with the customer service after day two. But satellite service itself is flawless!

2. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Your account was reactivated so your billing cycle picked up from your original activation date not a "new" one, for instance if your billing cycle used to be from the 5th of the month to the 4th of next month, it would bill you from today until June 4th, instead of billing from today to June 18th as it would for a brand new account, the 24.99 is fir the protection plan premier with accidental damage, THAT was a rep wanting to get brownie points and SHOULDN'T have happened without your consent, the protection plan premier for 19.99 was also for brownie points from the install tech and also shouldn't have been done without your consent, more than likely the protection plan premier was "checked " on the work order so when you signed it, it signed you up for the 19.99 one, the reason you were already charged 7.99 for the basic, is because you already had it from before, so you didn't get the 30 day grace period to cancel it before being charged, it's not one month " free" as some idiot csr's offer it as.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    It's a 30 day no claim period I meant to say

4. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Ah, great explanation thanks! Yeah installer had it all on his phone and all I saw were the signature boxes. I should have reviewed it.

5. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    You're welcome

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    This sounds similar to Wells Fargo offering incentives for getting people to open accounts, which resulted in them creating accounts the customer didn't ask for. Here it is making them upgrade people to more expensive services they don't want.

When will companies learn that this sort of crap only pisses off customers and all the bad publicity only hurts them in the long run?

jimmie57 likes this.
  7. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    The worst part wasn't even calling back to correct the first CSR's mistake, but when the rep that actually finally fixed the problem said "looks like you've called in a lot the last couple days" as if I was somehow at fault. I only called in once after the initial because I wanted to and that was to upgrade to an even more expensive package. Shame on me lol.

8. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Companies will never understand that it pisses customers off and causes deception by employees because they don't care about that, all they care about is profits

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Pissing off customers isn't good for profits. Maybe it is in the short run, because customers are stuck and won't want to pay the ETF, but those are the sort of tactics that get a company on people's "will never do business with ever again" list that will hurt profits in the long run. Next time they switch they'll consider Dish and cable but not Directv.

That's one thing if your company only sells satellite TV, since most people have only 2-4 companies to choose from for TV - or had before streaming. But when a company sells satellite TV, streaming TV, cell phone service, wired internet and soon fixed wireless internet, that's a lot of businesses unhappy customers will "never do business with ever again".

Laxguy likes this.
  10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There was an uproar when AT&T purchased DIRECTV with people claiming that they would never give AT&T their money. I am sure that some people left when the sale was completed. It doesn't seem to have affected their overall subscriber levels. As you note, the smaller the list of suppliers the more likely that one will have to accept a "less than perfect" company to get the services that they want -- or simply go without.

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I have not noticed any difference