DIRECTV "Customer Service" Experience

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by badgerdave, Jul 16, 2020.

1. badgerdave

badgerdave Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    So this spring my apple tree finally grew large enough to block my satellite dish. I'm evaluating what I really want to do (as moving the dish means actually getting it up on a really high roof). I decide to use the Covid summer to save a little money and try some of the streaming options.

I call DTV on May 25, telling them my dish is blocked and I'd like to suspend the service for a while in order to figure out what I would like to do. No problem, we can suspend your service for up to six months, and charge you $7.99 a month to keep the account active. Not once to they offer to send someone out to move the dish and keep me going, which I thought was odd but whatever.

So they send keep sending me a bill for the full amount of the month (through 6/11) because they always bill ahead. I wait until I get the bill that actually reflects service through 5/25 (can't remember when that actually came, I do know on 6/18 they were still trying to collect the whole amount. Sometime after 6/18, I get the correct bill which I pay on 7/3.

Today I get a bill for $232, for a partial month from 7/3-7/11 and then from 7/12-8/11. I call and ask for them to help me out, why am I getting a bill for services that should have been suspended since 5/25. After 41 extremely confusing minutes, the lady comes back and says we can't suspend your service until your account is current (first time I'd hear that and difficult to pay the right amount when they keep asking for more than I owe and it takes them a month to process the correct final bill), so the account wasn't suspended and I owe them the $232. Basically "it's your fault sir".

I ask to talk to someone in customer loyalty (I've been with them this go around since 2003). I get bumped up to someone who I explain things to, he genuflects about how sorry he is, and after another 25 minutes and talks with his supervisor tell me that the best they can do is knock $100 off the $232 bill (for TV I'm not using and actually can't receive a signal for), but "don't worry, because we bill ahead the amount left is what you will have to pay when you come back for the first month of service". Huh??

I know they are hemorrhaging customers, but is this really what it is these days with these guys? Does this seem completely screwed up to anyone else? Anyone else experience anything like this?

2. brett1198

brett1198 Cool Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Premier package customer for 16 years. Had a second account at another house I owned that my mother lived in. After two year promotion was up, she decided it wasn't worth the money, so I made sure It cancelled on the exact 2 year anniversary date. A month later I get a bill for $0.01. I laughed and figured no problem, I'll just call and get it taken care of. 3 days later after numerous calls to and from different levels of support and supervisors, they felt they needed to have my penny, but luckily for me, I could pay it at the nearest corporate owned att store which was only 15 miles away. I paid with my amex, figured it would cost them more in fees than just wiping out the penny I owed them. Can't wait to bring this up to them after Sunday Ticket is over next year when I will decide if I'm leaving or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    So I called to cancel my service today and was told that they could not shut it off until the end of the billing cycle which would be 3 weeks from now. Is this something new or should I spin the customer service roulette wheel again tomorrow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    They probably can shut it off immediately, but you will be paying until the end of the billing cycle. It's a change they made a few months or so ago.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They made a change a couple of years ago

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Tempus fugit.

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Depends on your state. I'm in California and they are not allowed to do that. They still have to pro-rate.

krel and studechip like this.
  8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I made a few bucks on that Latin phrase. A lot of people think that means "the storm passes".

Rich

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I first saw it on a clock.

10. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I didn't know that. I thought it was a nationwide thing.

11. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    It is nationwide but California and New York have laws that dictate they pro-rate.

studechip likes this.
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My grandfather clock has it on the face too. I did take Latin for a couple of years. Snoozed thru it. I have won several bar bets on that phrase.

Rich

studechip likes this.
  13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A lot of people are wrong. I know what tempus fugit means ... and why it is related to a clock.

14. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Especially a clock you throw out a window.

Rich likes this.
  15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And just FYI. DIRECTV isn't going to install the dish "really high" on your roof. OSHA requires that they use approved fall protection if they leave the ladder, so DIRECTV decided to implement no installations by them that require the installer to leave their ladder.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Rich likes this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    To people that never had to endure Latin classes it seems to mean, "the storm passes", or words to that effect. In a bar, late at night, that's an easy 20 dollar bet.

Rich

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "In a bar, late at night," ... a good way to lose $20 for most people. No formal Latin training here - I just know things. It would make more sense if tempus fugit meant something close to the storm passes. I guess people get hung up on the tempest and forget about the actual words.

18. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I'd think those folks would think it meant "screw the tempest" ... :rolleyes:

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Rounding back to the original topic ...
    Answers received from "Customer Service" often seem like they came from someone overserved at a bar. :D

Eva likes this.
  20. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i'm in CA and they do prorate. i know that CA passed a law stating providers still have to prorate. the only smart thing CA has doneo_O