1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv customer service is crap since AT&T

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mikegold, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Nov 5, 2018 #1 of 27
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Had an upgrade installation appt for today, 8am-12pm. Received an email from Directv last night confirming.

By noon, no one had shown up and not a word from anyone on status or delay.

I called and was told someone would call within half an hour to give me an update. They also gave me a $20 credit. Woo hoo!

Never got a call. Called them back at 2:00 and was told that the tech had been dispatched and would be showing up. At 3:30, no updates, no calls, no tech.

Called again and basically got no helpful information. Couldn’t tell me if anyone would be showing up today, couldn’t give me any reason why I sat at home the whole day waiting for an appointment that they confirmed.

I don’t remember it ever being this bad and amateurish in the old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Nov 5, 2018 #2 of 27
    Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    Wow. I'm regretting taking on another 2 year contract for equipment upgrades and deal. I don't watch as much reg TV as I used to.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. Nov 5, 2018 #3 of 27
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Seriously considering cancelling and trying YouTube TV or some other streaming.

4. Nov 5, 2018 #4 of 27
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Nothing about that is new. Was always a problem with directv

ericknolls likes this.
  5. Nov 6, 2018 #5 of 27
    ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    *No shows happen with all service providers. It is not specific to DIRECTV*

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

6. Nov 6, 2018 #6 of 27
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If / when you get a tech out, see if he is truly an AT&T tech or there is another small posted name on his truck / van. DirecTV and ATT both use lots of sub contractors. The communication between you, them and them between each other leaves a lot to be desired. My upgrade was a sub and the orders to him were not what was discussed and I had on paper. We had to get on the phone to get it fixed.

7. Nov 6, 2018 #7 of 27
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got an email yesterday with my monthly bill. It went up $27 a month for no reason that I could see. Made the call to ATT Retention and got a woman who sounded like she had a mouthful of food. She tried to help but I could not understand her. Gave up and started playing roulette. Next guy spoke English well but didn't know what to do. Got sent to accounting and all I got there was a rambling explanation of why the bill was correct. Gave up on that guy too. Finally got Jose in Retention. Took a bit of time but he finally got it straightened out. Glad that happened, I was getting angrier with each call and was truly preparing to cancel...Jose saved the day.

Bad calls, but as bad as dealing with the D* CSRs? Not sure how to answer that question but I've called ATT Retention a few times and nobody sounds like they are reading from a script, I have not been asked to reboot any HRs. I think we have to give them time to get their stuff together.

Rich

8. Nov 6, 2018 #8 of 27
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    No show NO CALL. Never had this with another provider.

9. Nov 6, 2018 #9 of 27
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    I’ve found it to be worse since the AT&T takeover.

10. mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    At about 7PM, finally got a rep who told me that my appointment didn’t happen due to “equipment shortages”

Couldn’t explain why they never called, why they sent a confirmation the night before, another confirmation at 10am on day of appointment if they knew there was an “equipment shortage.”

11. horace clark

horace clark New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    What equipment are you upgrading to. Could it be a hr54?

12. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Remember folks installers and customer service people at end of phone are not high paying experienced jobs. Hopefully, you get a good installer but even then I'd rather have great technical person rather than great customer service. All companies are like that these days.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    That's really no excuse. I've worked with TSRs at Apple and Microsoft and both have CSRs who are both knowledgeable and respectful. DirecTV used to be like that, back when they stopped cheaping out on CSRs and had their retention centers in the US and Canada. No offense to companies that farm out their Customer Service overseas, but you get what you pay for. On top of that it's often difficult to understand what they are saying and for them to understand you if English isn't their first language. I've worked CS in a few jobs and rule one for me was always be respectful and follow up if something changes like in the OPs complaint.

I've called AT&T's CSRs since they took over DirecTV and it always feels like their first job is to sell you mobile service and their second job is to actually look at your issue. I want whatever my issue is to be fixed, I don't want mobile service and I don't want to be a captive audience to a sales pitch. I too feel that service in SO many respects has gone downhill since AT&T took over.

AngryManMLS and mikegold like this.
  14. mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Was supposed to be a Genie 2 and five 4K minis.

15. mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Could be the greatest technically adept installer. If he never shows up, it doesn’t matter.

16. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    your dealing with toddlers on the other end of the line

17. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I, in the last month, tried dealing with Apple support people - 3 including a "senior" technical support person. They all had no idea what they were doing. I got the reboot, run this, run that script stuff. I eventually figured out and fixed the problem myself. Yes, I've dealt with great Apple people at the Apple store but on the phone or via chat they are just as good or bad as all other call center people these days - my opinion based upon my experience.

18. LDighera

LDighera Cool Member

Oct 16, 2007
    AT&T is capable of FUBAR without a doubt. I was an AT&T Value Added Reseller in the '80s, and I always found AT&T support lacking.

Today, I tried to upgrade to 4K, and the service representative (SR), located in the Philippines with English as a second language, said she'd have to call me back (ostensibly after she was schooled in how to accomplish the upgrade). One of the reasons I stuck with DirecTV since 2004 was the remarkably professional telephone support they used to provide.

I'm already paying for cable Internet, so it's beginning to look like I'm going to be switching to streaming video programming before long.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call this number and see if you get better results.
    877-999-1083

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been calling that number with mixed results. Have gotten what I wanted but it took time and roulette.

Rich