1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv D12-100 ever getting new software?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jasondm4, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jasondm4

jasondm4 Mentor

Mar 4, 2010
    League City, TX
    Its been a long long time since my D12-100 has received any new software. Have they stopped supporting the receiver all together? I think its been over a year now.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Of course I'm just taking an educated guess, but I would suspect very little new development on the SD receiver front. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if you see a concerted effort to begin eliminating the SD MPEG2 receivers in the next 12-18 months so they can move forward with newer tech. Having to maintain all that mpeg2 bandwidth for legacy boxes has got to be a burden to future mpeg4 and beyond development.

3. Jan 1, 2012 #3 of 19
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    What is it that you're thinking they could add?

4. Jan 1, 2012 #4 of 19
    jasondm4

jasondm4 Mentor

Mar 4, 2010
    League City, TX
    Well the thing that bothers me the most is ever since the new button layout wirlth the gui on hd recievers I have to remember how to use both boxes since their so different now. I think the least they could do is have the layout the same.

5. Jan 1, 2012 #5 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just watch www.redh.com/dtv and you'll know when the new FW is come.

6. Jan 2, 2012 #6 of 19
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's not true at all. Software is still being updated for the SD receivers and DVR's. While new features aren't being added, bug fixes and improved user interfaces are still in the works.

I can't give specifics here but you might want to visit the Cutting Edge forum here on DBSTALK.COM where you may even decide to join the fun.

As far as ELIMINATING the MPEG2 receivers anytime soon, DirecTV hasn't even begun an upgrade program for the LEGACY SD receivers (Hughes, RCA, Sony, etc.) much less upgrade the DirecTV-branded SD receivers. Not only that, every day new DirecTV customers are being installed with SD-only equipment. It will be YEARS and YEARS before all the MPEG2 boxes are gone.

7. Jan 2, 2012 #7 of 19
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Correct. The IRD manufacturers are making new standard IRD's every day.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #8 of 19
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I've been a member of the CE group since the very 1st week. But I also have absolutely zero use for any SD crap anymore. I want it all gone, its a boat anchor to D*'s development. I doubt that they will update the SD GUI to match the HD GUI, if its even possible. Friggin waste of time and effort.

9. Jan 3, 2012 #9 of 19
    crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    You may want it all gone but those of us who are stuck in the SD world are happy that it's still being supported.

10. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    So if I understand you Dishnetwork with their HD and Mpeg4 Eastern arc locations is ahead of DirecTv in the Mpeg4 changeover?

From my understanding DirecTV HD gets Mpeg4 and a few selected SD locals.

It makes sense to me to give everyone, New subs and STB replacements Mpeg4 boxes even for SD to make the changeover easier later. Not to mention SL3 or Sl5 dishes. Little incremental cost up front for big savings later.

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    !rolling

Every day, thousands (at least) of people subsidize that cost already by upgrading to MPEG4 at their own convenience.

It's apparent that you don't have any experience dealing with publicly traded companies :lol:
    Nobody absorbs incremental costs, eating shareholder profits, for outyear gains. The guy in charge now may have machinations of some sort of long term plan. But when it comes to the money, it's a quarter by quarter (and often month by month) business.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In fact... you might even say that DIRECTV's recent focus on HD receiver development was an incentive to get people to upgrade on their own :)

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I probably worded my response a little strongly. They will continue to support it, but I really don't see them spending much time or effort to rollout new features or GUI's to their dwindling SD hardware base. There's really very little if any ROI to be gained, business wise it makes no sense at all.

14. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    I would agree with that. I wouldn't see any major changes to the units, perhaps bugfixes but certainly not the GUI revision. I can live with that. I'm pleased at how stable my R15 is and certainly am not unhappy with the feature set. Now if I could just convince my neighbor to take out a couple of trees..... :sure:

15. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Where are you getting those numbers? Judging from one of the non-MPEG4 LiL markets that I work in, the percentage of SD gear out in the field is quite sizable. It's hardly dwindling.

16. Valve1138

Valve1138 Legend

Apr 26, 2008
    And not get a DirecTivo

17. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    One thing I always thought was interesting about that site, it lists the size of the software download.

0x04D9 takes about 15.8 MB while 0x057B (The HD GUI) takes about 16.1 MB. So there was not a large size difference when the HD GUI rolled out. (For a laugh, check the size of the THR22-100 download).

I just wish I knew how much of the old HD IRD’s download was GUI-related.

You have to wonder just how much memory the SD IRD’s have, because their downloads do not go over 3.4 MB. The largest R15/R16 download is 4.4 MB.

!rolling

I remember a few years back when I saw an Investors Day presentation that said all SD IRD’s would be phased out. That has (obviously) not happened.

Personally, I think that the SD IRD’s are going to be limited to bug fixes from here on out. Maybe a few UI changes, but not on par with what we see on the HD IRD’s.

18. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The new "HD GUI" gives me an incentive to replace my R22 with an R15!!!

19. beforesixbeers

beforesixbeers Cool Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ok, the "legacy" swaps that do go out, are for OE receivers that don't have receiver id numbers. Normally free, and installed by customer request.