1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV DOD saved my marriage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Chris Blount, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Ok, not really but thank heavens they have the opening ceremonies on DOD.

My wife has been away for the past week to visit relatives. She is a big olympics fan. She told me to make absolutely sure that I recorded the opening ceremonies.

Well, due to my fat fingers, I accidently deleted them. Yikes! When I told her I swear I could feel her hand reach through the phone and grab my neck.

I checked DOD this morning it looks like most of the stuff is there and in HD. There are also other events on DOD that she will also want to see.

She arrives home today so I get to break the good news to her. Wish me luck. :)

Thanks DirecTV and NBC!

2. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Just pray that AT&T dont cut a cable and you lose your DSL.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Nice thread title Chris... :lol:

4. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    You may want to break the news as quickly as you can. What if she doesn't come home?

5. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    yeah good luck with that Chris, I had to use Itunes to save my butt a few times, because of bad recordings, in my case it was with my wife and Prison Break

6. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Hopefully she'll be home today, and they're still available. Disconnect all your network gear and DirecTV equipment at the first sound of lightning. :eek2:

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Good for you Chris...now did you tell her about recording it all over the wedding video? :D

8. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    again yet another reason deleted shows should stay on hard drive for a day (or whatever u set) as a default option....this way u could always retrieve it back in situations like this.

ps. probably makes too much sense to do though.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I just checked out directv.com to see about recording that remotely (I watched it last weekend, but my wife never did). The only thing I could find listed was "Opening Ceremony", but it's only 5 minutes long.

What was yours called Chris?

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    There's the Cauldron Lightening Ceremony and the Opening Ceremony...2 different recordings...

11. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Godfather

Feb 17, 2006
    Unfortunately, the Opening Ceremonies Sights & Sounds, Parade of Nations, and Opening Speeches were all set to expire on 8/13, and the Cauldron Lighting set to expire on 8/16 (they also disappeared from the DOD list on those dates). Fortunately we noticed this and copied them to DVD before they expired. Kind of a bummer that they would set the expire date to be so early. :(

12. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Why did they set them to expire so early? They have video from Athens Olympics 4 years old that is still there.

I missed most of the opening ceremonies and was looking for them on VOD today and only found the 5 minute one and it wasn't even in HD.

Oh well, guess I am out of luck.

13. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Godfather

Feb 17, 2006
    I agree - seems kinda short-sighted. :confused:

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It might have something to do with NBC selling DVD's of the Opening Ceremonies. Now that they are offering a DVD of Michael Phelps, I suspect any VOD of his swimming events won't be available very long either.

If it helps, I still have the opening ceremonies on my DVR, I could always put it off on DVD for ya and drop it in the mail. It won't be HD but you may not have to sleep on the couch very long.

15. R8ders2K

R8ders2K Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    But where are the hd-dvd_logo1.jpg disc(s) for that matter...?

I want HD...

Attached Files:

• bd.gif
      bd.gif
      File size:
      3.5 KB
      Views: