1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV DVR with Local HD Antenna

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by EJKrew, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 4, 2007 #1 of 14
    EJKrew

EJKrew New Member

May 4, 2007
    Hi!
    I recently switched to DirecTV from D*Net.
    The HR20 requires 2 coax inputs (D* had a diplexer of sorts merging 2 coax into one input)
    Can anyone tell me when DirecTV will have this technology available to allow
    me to route my ATSC signal through the HR20?
    Only have 2 coax outlets per room.

Thanks for your help!

2. May 4, 2007 #2 of 14
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I think you mean E* (DISH Network) instead of D*(Directv). Sometime this fall D* should have the SWiM available (single wire module).

3. May 4, 2007 #3 of 14
    EJKrew

EJKrew New Member

May 4, 2007
    Thank you, this is what I will need.

4. May 4, 2007 #4 of 14
    EdK99

EdK99 Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    That will combine the 2 sat runs but you still need to run your OTA signal in a separate run to feed the OTA input on the HR20 right?

5. May 4, 2007 #5 of 14
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It would "preferred" that you keep it seperate.
    But the SWM shoud allow you to diplex in your singal for OTA

6. May 4, 2007 #6 of 14
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    The SWM will allow diplexing of the OTA signal along with the 2 sat feeds on a single coaxial cable. You will still need to diplex the OTA signal out to the separate OTA port once the cable gets to the rear of your HR20 though.

Edit: Earl beats me yet again

7. May 6, 2007 #7 of 14
    jessemac

jessemac New Member

May 6, 2007
    I have my OTA diplexed from one of the sat cables today and it works fine. DTV installers couldn't do it so I called an independent dealer (DISH provider) and they did it for me.

8. May 6, 2007 #8 of 14
    Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    When the ka low band becomes active later this year, that will no longer work. :(

9. May 6, 2007 #9 of 14
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It is also important to note Earl's "preference" to keep it separate. There is loss through the dixplexing (certainly on the OTA side), and it may present a problem for some of the OTA signals, given the picky nature of the OTA tuner in the HR20.

If at all possible, a separate run for OTA is preferable. There is no free lunch.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As you know...there is a loss through anything added into the system, [SAT & OTA] since no "lunches are free". :)

11. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Except that, when released to the general public, who mostly have only one cable running to their equipment, it will have to be diplexed. Right?

12. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I'm part of the general public and have had a separate cable for OTA for my entire life. Actually, anyone with an HR20 (already) typically has two lines. They could go SWM for the HR20 sat and use the spare for OTA, if they like.

The important point here is that diplexing while convenient, is a compromise that one may not be happy with. I can see a whole slew of new problems coming up from this. I wish they had never offered diplexing as an option.

One would be wise, during the initial installation to run a separate line for OTA-HD, if OTA-HD is going to be important. If OTA is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    To add: if you need to use a mast mounted pre-amp, diplexing will be harder as the power inserter will need to be "up stream".
    My installer was quick to say he could diplex my OTA with my dish, without any knowledge of the Ka Lo signals or my pre-amp.

14. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm not certain that most of us in these forums can really be called the "general public" when it comes to using this equipment. :) Isn't the SWM designed to gain subscriber's from those that have cable today and don't have that extra line for OTA? If yes, than diplexing was integral to the design of the product and, while a compromise, needs to work as well as possible.

In my case, I lost enough signal with diplexing that I added an inexpensive UHF amplifier to see if I could easily boost the signal. It worked, but, IMO, the signal still needs to be improved prior to wide distribution of the SWM.

My addition of the amplifier certainly shows that you are correct, AND that D* needs to improve the way the OTA signal is handled so that the impact of diplexing is minimized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.