DirecTV employees say AT&T's handling of the merger bred dysfunction

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jeret, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Mar 7, 2019 #1 of 34
    jeret

jeret Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. Mar 7, 2019 #2 of 34
    BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett AllStar

Nov 14, 2007
    You need a subscription to access the article.

3. Mar 7, 2019 #3 of 34
    Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Yep, copy and paste or something please

4. Mar 7, 2019 #4 of 34
    msglsmo

msglsmo Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Kansas City, MO
    Turn on reader mode to bypass the subscription requirement.

5. Mar 8, 2019 #5 of 34
    BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks for posting ! It's all much worse than we thought.... Damn depressing !

6. Mar 8, 2019 #6 of 34
    dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    It’s good journalism when everything you read is right on target with our own experiences.

I always figured that the sat division was the part they wanted to do away with
    As for the overseas CSRs working blindly that becomes clear after just one phone call.

BigRedFan likes this.
  7. Mar 8, 2019 #7 of 34
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Copyright laws do not permit posting articles from other sites. Fair use allows the posting of brief quotes - not long passages or the complete article.

Microphone likes this.
  8. Mar 8, 2019 #8 of 34
    grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    This reinforces my worst fears when ATT took over. I agree that the future of sat based TV is on the decline but then again, ATT has made absolutely no efforts in my opinion to keep the ship afloat. At least in the near term, many thought that ATT would take the opportunity to shore up their failing U-Verse service with the power of the DirecTV subscriber base but instead have done just the opposite. Not only are they attempting to shoehorn a functional DirecTV business model into their failing U-Verse support model, but all by themselves, blew holes in the hull of that ship, forcing many to leave much sooner than they otherwise would have and only accelerated it's demise. Really sad.

BigRedFan likes this.
  9. Mar 8, 2019 #9 of 34
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Every Merger breeds dysfunction.. This article is pointless

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    How does AVS Forums get away with it?

compnurd and BigRedFan like this.
  11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Ask a mod on their site. How their site is run is not a topic for DBSTalk.

12. BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Yes, big mergers are usually a big mess but what AT&T has done to DirecTV is beyond shameful. Basically not caring how quickly they whittle down the DTV loyal customer base to zero with the "higher purpose" of moving to a new business model.

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    What does that mean?

14. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Article cites the possibility of a D* Dish tie up which I think is likely just like XM and Sirius merged.

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Why should they care? They are a business... Corporations are not people

16. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    A business that doesn't care about customers usually winds up not having customers.

ericknolls, PCampbell and BigRedFan like this.
  17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unfortunately the general opinion that AT&T is bad, everything AT&T touches will be ruined and all mergers ruin the smaller company are reinforced by this article. It is easy to believe things that one already suspects are happening. I do get the "slam your employer on the way out the door" vibe from these reports. I'm not sure what value such reports have - do the former employees expect AT&T to read the article and change their culture? Or is it just a chance for frustrated employees to vent anonymously?

I do agree that there is an issue when a new owner with a new culture buys a successful business then ends the internal processes that made the business a success.

18. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    If anyone wants to read, copy the link of the article, visit this site: Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Add an "/" after outline.com then paste the original link, then remove the "s" from the https in the outline.com section, you can read most paywalled articles that way.

APB101 likes this.
  19. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    My thoughts are in line with what you wrote, as you read the pile on, it makes you think the truth lies somewhere down the middle. For example, the section on the Directv group losing the money and infrastructure to innovate new ideas and products. OK AT&T feels they can do this better, does anybody here disagree, what has Directv innovated in the past ten years, of course they've done a few good things, the Genie is a decent product but before ATT arrived did anyone here believe that Directv was breaking new ground on products.

Even in the article someone admits that the Directv innovation group did not have many victories.

20. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Its weird, because that's how they started out. All reports were that after the merger if you called to sign up for TV they'd sell you Directv, and you could only get Uverse TV if you asked for it or lived somewhere where Directv wasn't an option. So Uverse TV's subscriber totals plunged and Directv's surged.

Recently it has been the opposite, Uverse TV's subscriber numbers are actually increasing, while Directv's are plunging. The only thing I can think of is that originally it cost them a lot more to have Uverse TV subscribers, because of the $14/month/customer disparity in content costs. After a couple years of renegotiating contracts, that disparity would have shrunk a lot, to the point where maybe the higher install costs for Directv because of the need for an installer visit caused them to start steering customers towards Uverse TV again.