1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV ending contracts with residential dealers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by energyx, Nov 12, 2018.

1. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    blueoyster likes this.
  2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Was unable to read article without a log in. I wonder if this includes Solid Signal?

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If it includes ALL residential dealers then it would include Solid Signal as far as being able to sell to residential customers. If true, then their inability to service accounts that have been converted to AT&T's system isn't a short term issue, but working as designed.

4. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    It fits in with my experience. Solid Signal was unable to see most of the details of my account when I purchased an HR24 from them. The guy said something about limited computer access. In hindsight I think that they cannot access the new att system but can still see old account info from the previous system. It seems like this confirms that they might be out of the loop permanently.

Also doesn’t that mean that ATT won’t activate owned receivers if they are sold? Sucks big time if it’s true!

blueoyster and bobvick1983 like this.
  5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Note that the article (as much can be seen) says AT&T notified "a group of dealers". It does not say that AT&T is cutting ties with ALL dealers.
    Look for more information from specific dealers on whether or not they will remain dealers in the future.

"A dealer" is their apparent source for this article, other than public information about AT&T's financial statements and speculation.

6. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It says they notified "thousands of dealers". That is either all of them, or all but a very select few - maybe they'll retain relationships with big resellers like Costco.

FYI, if you want to read articles like this that have something pop up over the top, reload the page and hit escape quickly, which will stop the page from executing the script that does the popover. You might have to try a few times. This works for me on Firefox.

NashGuy and 242424 like this.
  7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Cool, never thought to try something like that.
    Thanks

8. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Could this be the start of AT&T wanting to go all internet streaming? I wonder how soon it will be before they wont want the HR-44 and under equipment back?

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds to me like they are following in the footsteps of a lot of the station owners. If you want this station then you must also carry these other 5 that I own.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Probably should wait and see who's actually affected by this.

Rich

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They aren't going to go "all internet streaming", I wish people would quit posting something that ridiculous. If they were doing that they wouldn't be in the process of getting a new satellite ready to launch as we speak.

Won't be long before they don't want the HR44 back - they determine whether to ask for equipment back based on whether it is fully depreciated, i.e. over five years old. I'm sure some of the older HR44s are five years old now.

sigma1914 likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Don’t see any correlation with that at all. What I see is them not wanting to supply outside access to their systems as solid signal and others have now.

13. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    What if the only reason they are launching a new satellite is because going all internet streaming will take awhile? I now think 2020 was too early for AT&T's CEO to say that date for going all internet streaming. Intel's 5g modem wont be in some phone until next year. Sorry, I forgot AT&T's CEO said they would use SatelliteTV in the rural areas but what if the launching of the new satellite is so they can use that until they get 5g in the rural areas?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They are probably launching another Sat because they already paid out the nose for it and can’t cancel it without huge fees

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    No, they are launching another satellite because the rest of their satellites will keep operating until 2030 if not later, which is the actual date when they would go "all streaming".

Dish is likely to drop satellite before Directv does. They have half the satellite customers and two arcs to maintain, and are losing as many customers a quarter as Directv does despite fewer customers so the numbers don't favor them. If you want to see a satellite company go all streaming, they will do it first.

16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The contract was let AFTER they were purchased by AT&T.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "a dealer who works under a similar agreement selling DirecTV products told Business Insider that AT&T gave 30-day notices to "thousands" of longtime residential dealers, informing them that their contracts would expire in December."

Thousands being in quotes in the poorly fire walled article. I'm not ready to jump to "all" residential dealers or even assume that any specific dealer would be included unless the dealer makes an announcement.

Rich likes this.
  18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What if you are completely wrong about this "all streaming" thing that you have been pushing for the past four years? We have argued this before. DIRECTV satellite will be around a long time.

compnurd likes this.
  19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH would need to grow their other businesses to the point where they are profitable and can take over for their satellite business. At DISH satellite is the main thing and has been the main thing since DISH was Echostar selling big dishes. Their other business ventures (Sling TV and their wireless license investments) need to be bigger than satellite before they even consider shutting anything down.

At AT&T satellite is an investment ... they bought a satellite company that had passed through the hands of several other owners over the years. Satellite is not the main thing at AT&T and they could sell the satellite service as easily as they bought it (although there would be some branding issues since they are using "DIRECTV" for their other services). They could sell the assets to some company who believes they can keep the lights on. Personally I believe DIRECTV will continue to offer satellite services as long as they have commercial customers to support the system ... and let residential customers subscribe as well. There is no reason to turn away profitable customers.

tecnicoloco likes this.
  20. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    This may be a dumb question but how does OTT work from the DTV broadcast centers? Couldn't they use the same DTV satellite's in orbit for both DTV over SatelliteTV and DTV over IP? Or do they just use the DTV servers at the DTV broadcast centers for OTT? I saw the UVerseTV diagram that show their satellite's in orbit beaming the content to the UVerseTV IPTV broadcast centers using their super IP hub offices.

https://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/HowUverseIsDelivered_2-22.pdf

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018