1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Epix HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skaman74, Feb 27, 2012.

1. skaman74

skaman74 AllStar

Feb 17, 2012
    Any word on why DTV doesn't have Epix movie channels?

2. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Most providers don't have EPIX.

Time Warner, Cablevision, Comcast, AT&T UVerse, Cable One, DIRECTV, US Cable, etc, etc do not carry EPIX.

3. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
  4. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    Then it would seem even that much better for that statement to read...
    Most providers OTHER THAN DIRECTV don't have EPIX.

The reasoning given in that linked statement is pure BS too. People were dropping premium movie packages with DirecTV because at the time of that statement DirecTV had some of the most pitiful premium movie offerings in the industry.:nono2: HD or otherwise.

Wonder what the "take" rates are for them now? I'll bet they are better than they were in 2009.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    And Epix is expanding beyond just movies. They've started covering some boxing and I fully expect them to have an original or two. I'd like to see it added.

6. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    At what price? Verizon charges $9.99 for two EPIX channels.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Didn't Epix just lose Lions Gate to Starz?

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  9. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    DISH offers 4 EPIX channels for $7 so I guess the price would depend on how good a deal DirecTV could negotiate.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The issue isn't who else doesn't offer it. DIRECTV subscribers shouldn't have to suffer because of what the other guys aren't doing.

If DIRECTV wants to set themselves apart in areas other than sports, getting HD channels that most other providers don't carry is a great place to start. If I read the recent financial documentation correctly, DIRECTV benefited pretty nicely by adding more HD movie channels last year.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Doubts very much if DirecTV customers think they're suffering because Epix isn't available. :sure:

12. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I doubt they are going to add it. More choice is always nice, but I doubt we are missing that much. If you really want to get it though, vote with your pocketbook and go to a provider that carries it.

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    You are a Dish sub. Don't you have enough to be disappointed with?

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    And yet you have dish which has less HD movies than directv.

15. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    I would love Epix as much as many of you, there was once a time when I've suggested that the Epix channels should be included with the HD Extra Pack.

With that said, I've since backed down of my stance because D* made alternate plans for most of the D12 bandwidth, thereby limiting a number of new HD to an unspecified amount with the actual number depending on who you ask.

Knowing D* like I do, I am real certain that they will only add a set of channels that would bridge the gap between overall consumer appeal and internal finances. As we've seen the last several months, circumstances appear to change by the Quarter. Hence all the delay in new HD.

16. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    I have all the premiums with Dish and honestly in my opinion the Epix channels breath a bit of fresh air in an other wise stale list of movie channels.
    They have alot of great variety and get some movies sooner then the other guys (i could have sworn i saw true grit on epix 2 the same week it came out on blu ray).

Its a really nice set of channels in my opinion. I dont think there worth leaving the company your fond of for but there definitely worth requesting.

17. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    That is what I thought too. Until I had Epix for a couple of months. Epix is the worst of the worst when it comes to playing the same old movies over and over and over and over again. Epix gives new meaning to repeats. :lol:

You are lucky to get one or 2 new movies a month and the boxing is the stuff HBO and Showtime does not want.

18. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    You have a point in regards to the repeats but then again these are movies that you otherwise wont see on the other premiums.
    im a big 80's movie fan so epix does that really well for me lol.

19. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Yes, true. But as I pointed out, after a couple of months of Epix you are exposed to everything they have. They have very little new content.

I had Epix free for a year, but after 2 months it was pretty worthless as I had seen everything I wanted to see. Very little new content.

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    And Dish has it in their HD Platinum or whatever package with a bunch of other channels and includes Blockbuster for $10. IMO, D* could put that into the HD Extras package and possibly make that have more value.