1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Extra Pack Offer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Ken S, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Today I was on the DirecTV website and under services they have HD Extra listed as 0.00/3 months free. So, I assume they're adding an additional three months of free service on for anyone that signs up before 12/15?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I got an email the other day reminding me about the HD Extra Pack and saying that if I don't add it by 12/15, I lose those channels after 12/14.

They currently give you 3 free months from the date you add the package.

3. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    I haven't gotten any kind of notification about it but I have a HR10-250 so I'm not sure I'm exempt or not.

4. jdeitchler

jdeitchler Mentor

Oct 10, 2005
    An interesting point you bring up. If you had only a HR10-250, is it justifiable paying the new additional service charge for HDNet service that your box can only receive?

5. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Actually, I received a notice from DirecTv the other day saying that if you sign up for the HD Extra Pak before February, then you get 3 months for free. So, if you sign up December 15th (when the current free preview ends) you will get an additional 3 months free before they start charging you the $4.99.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    This thread is about the specific offer on the DirecTV website which is indicating that if you sign up for HDExtra TODAY you get 3 months free.
    The thread you're pointing to seems to be discussing a myriad of issues involving HD fees and DirecTV.

I guess that wasn't clear.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Well it seems to have evolved into the same topic.

9. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I didn't see anything in the email about a minimum term. So you might as well sign up and get the 3 free months and then cancel. I have never watched any of those channels so I'm certainly not paying for them.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    HDNet and HDNet movies were free and then "became" the 9.95 HD package, long before there were any MPEG-4 channels.
    Paying extra to have what I already pay for doesn't seems right. "New" channels I can see, but channels that were already "in the package", should stay, or at least be "grandfathered" into what I'm paying for until I change my programing package.

11. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    Only the one, "HDNet Movies" is going on the new pack. I do agree with you, though.

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DIRECTV Customer Agreement

13. mattw

mattw Legend

Sep 28, 2006
  14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So is that "today's" or a copy from four years ago?
    "I hear" that HDNet will stay, so they can drop what they want.
    My "real" question is why are they calling my programing package "obsolete"? It has gone up in price, and "I think" changed names, but never been called "obsolete" before.
    I just went to the D website to try to find out prices and packages.
    I couldn't find the cost of all of the packages to compare. Channels in each, yes, but not the cost of each.

To further add:
    I understand they have the right to raise my bill [duh] and can't be held responsible for programing they no longer offer.
    This seems to be more of a shell game. Now you see it and now you don't. Free previews are one thing, while moving channels from one package to another is something else. This is where if you make no changes to your package, your channels [if they're still offered by DirecTV] should stay until you do make changes to your package.

15. jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    thier web site is so slow now.
    I am going to add it but drop my my sports pack

16. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah, they should have left the existing channels as $9.95 and said $5 to receive all the new channels they have added since September. That way you only pay for the "NEW" ones and the old ones are grandfathered.

17. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    Just called D* and verified. Signed up and the CSR gave me Showtime free for 3 months. I LOVE haggling with CSRs!!

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK .. as veryoldschool pointed out, the content from this thread is very similar to the path we are on in the other thread .. so, for simplicity, let's keep the discussion over there for now ..

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=109314

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.