DirecTV FedEx'd me a HR44 to replace my HR34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tivoreno, Sep 10, 2014.

1. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    I know it has been said around here for quite some time that the only way to guarantee getting an HR44 is to buy one, however, I have one data point where that was not the case:

I called and talked to retention to report seriously poor performance with my HR34 and 2 C31 clients and the rep immediately offered to replace all my equipment for free. I replied that would only be acceptable if he could guarantee me and HR44. He insisted that he could, though it required a "special form" to be approved by his sup and then sent to the warehouse. It took quite a while for all that to happen, but at the end of the call he assured me I would be receiving an HR44.

I was skeptical, but 2 days later FedEx delivered 2 new/refurbished C31 clients and a refurbished HR44. Interestingly enough, both C31s came with return shipping labels and instructions for returning them (along with threats for not doing so). The HR44 had no such documentation with it. I called and confirmed they did not want the HR34 back.

I immediately removed my 2TB drive from the HR34 and placed it into the HR44. At first boot, I checked for a software update, which it needed, and then I needed to call DirecTV to activate it, since the web site activation did not work. After all that, all my Series Links, To Do list, custom Guide lists, Recent Searches and recordings from OTA channels were still valid. Even the extended Guide Data was still there.

One final note, since my 2TB drive was full of movies recorded from various free promotions, and we knew I was going to lose them with this swap, the rep gave me 3 free months of HBO, Showtime, CINEMAX, and The Movie Channel which I am now using to "reload" that 2TB drive!!!

PS: Before you ask, I do not have the protection plan and received 3 x $19.99 credits for the 3 shipping charges.

2. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the information... I've about had it with my HR34 as well and will be calling to get my equipment replaced. So swapping the drive to the HR44 saved all your info but none of your recordings? I was under the impression that when doing that you lost everything?

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No, what he saw is correct. Only recordings via satellite are tied to the receiver.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Caution!

Swapping drives into a leased box is strictly against the TOS.

5. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    Cool - although if & when I get a new receiver I think I'm going to upgrade to a larger drive. Am I able to take the data on the old drive and clone it to the new drive so I don't have to setup all my series links, etc. again?

6. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    I was under the impression he was swapping drives by using an external drive with the eSATA port... ?

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I was originally as well, but just reread it and he says "placed it into".

Also find that they don't want the 34 back to be very interesting, and a potential error. If it wasn't owned, I'd hang onto it.

8. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    "Strictly"? Not trying to start a riot, but any evidence this has ever once been enforced? I have been a DirecTV customer since 1996, since before my 18 yr old son's first birthday. I have "free" lifetime DVR service and I've replaced every drive in every DVR I have ever had. If you care, don't do this. Obviously, I don't care. I believe we're all far more valuable to DirecTV as customers vs litigants.

To answer the question about returning the HR34, the doc included did say that if a return shipping label and instructions were not included, then they did not want the unit back. Clearly, I'll give it some time.

9. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I noticed that now, maybe tivoreno will let us know... Not sure why anyone would waste the time actually replacing the internal drive when you can just use the eSATA port though? Is there an actual advantage?

10. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    This is a good question and I did consider it. I admit my reasons are minor, but they're enough for me:
    1. Some have reported, after a power outage and/or reboot, occasionally the eSata drive was not recognized for one reason or another and the DVR boots from the internal drive. Wanted to avoid this possibility, even if remote.
    2. Internal drive was cheaper, I'm a tight-wad.
    3. I can use the 1TB drive in my PC...now I have 2 :righton:
    4. Minor consideration, but I didn't care for another device in the cabinet.

11. Blackloz

Blackloz New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I believe there is even a company advertising online that they will swap out your internal drive for one up to 6tb & copy, transfer all recordings off the old drive for you onto the new drive. It's quite expensive if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Let's leave the drive swap out TOS out of this thread.

It is against the TOS agreed to when you sign up for DIRECTV if you would like to discuss anymore please start a thread dedicated to it.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "That company" takes all responsibility for doing it.
    Should you have an issue you must return it to them, not DirecTV.

14. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    Agreed, and thank you. I didn't mean for it to go down that rat hole, but deep down, I guess I knew it would. My statements should have been ambiguous with respect to that.

Key points:
    1. I was able to get a refurbished HR44 shipped to me...YMMV
    2. I was able to retain all my settings and OTA recordings by reusing my old drive.
    3. The rep took pity on me losing all my SAT recordings and gave me HBO, Showtime, CINEMAX, and The Movie Channel, free for 3 months, to recover.
    4. I don't have the protection plan.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Thanks for posting.
    It's all too common for someone to post the bad experience than a good one.
    "It's just" human nature.

16. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    As pointed out, I also think it is very interesting that they did not attempt (yet?) to recover the HR34. Does this mean these are finally being phased out?

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    It could- or maybe just the ones ID'd as lemons. (They are not all bad, just have more than their share of bad fruit.)

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would call back DirecTV® as this receiver is still recoverable.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yeah, this one looks like it would bite you in the butt if it wasn't returned.
    "It's not like" DirecTV has ever made a mistake. :lol:

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, the HRs run better with the larger drives mounted internally. Just an opinion based on my experiences with my OWNED HRs. I only have one external 2TB HDD running at this time on a 24-100 and I can't complain about it. It's been running well for a couple years. But, all the HDDs I've lost in the last few years have been on external devices. Make of that what you will.

Rich