1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV for Android App v4.9.101 Issues & Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dod1450, Dec 20, 2016.

1. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    New droid version

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Still can't get either my Samsung S7 or my tablet to register with mobile DVR, they were both working a few weeks ago. And to add insult to injury, my phone won't even stay streaming. After a couple of minutes streaming live TV, I get the message "directv has stopped".
    What a mess...!

3. gemery

gemery Mentor

Apr 10, 2007
    This app seems to drain my battery as well as my daughter's battery..... Why does it want to stay awake

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I am having issues with this version now. Unable to list my playlist when I am not at home. When I am at home I see my playlist.

5. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I am about to uninstall this app. It has used 7% of my battery since I last fully charged my device. It tells me it has used 281 MB of Data since Oct. 6, 2016, and of that 110 MB was used in the last 3 hours. I'm out of my home, and have been for the last 3 hours, and cannot see my playlist. And the really interesting thing, considering all the battery and data the app is using, is that I haven't been using the app. It's been doing this on it's own in the background. Oh, yeah, I also get the message occasionally that "Unfortunately, the DirecTV App has stopped working." Really, I wasn't using it. Could it just stay stopped until I actually want it? Obviously not, there is no setting to turn it off. Anybody have any answers? I see other people having these issues on the ATT site, but no answers. I'm not an ATT customer, and I don't need another account I have to keep track of.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Go into your Application Manager, highlight the app, force it to shut down, clear the cache.

If you want to really kill it (but not uninstall), clear the data: all settings for the app will be gone.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you are using iOS you can disable background by going to the Settings app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't think you noticed, this is the thread for the Android app.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You are correct, I did not noticed. Opps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mreaves53

mreaves53 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Odenville, Al
    Lately I can not see all of my playlist. It doesn't matter if I am on my home network or away.

Any suggestions?

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Call Directv and complain. Its affecting Android users everywhere. Maybe they will eventually listen that out of home doesn't work

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I think I solved the battery drain problem. Go to Applications/Application Manager/Directv/Data usage, and turn on "Restrict background data". Having done this last night and charged overnight at 11 this morning the app has used 0% battery. Playlist still isn't working, it can't find my DVR, but with the background data restricted it streams just fine.

13. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I also had called and the person said there are no problems with other customers. You know they are such good BSers. What kind of database are they using that prevents this and other problems not being visible to the other tech support folks?

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I can see all my HR44 playlists at home. I don't use streaming, so I haven't check to see whether I have a current playlist available while on a WiFi network away from home.

What Genie DVR do you have?
    EDIT: I see in a previous post, you mentioned that you have an HR44. Correct?

15. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    Well I see I have a new for my Android, 4.9.403. I am now able to see my playlist from outside of my home network.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Glad to hear it. I'm hoping that this update will fix the issue of the App stopping while playing. But the Update Notes just says "Bug Fixes".

I also noticed that there is a "DIRECTV" and "DIRECTV for Tablets". The Tablet version, also updated 1/13/2017, is only version 4.9.402.

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    As stated in the other thread you started, it doesn't work as you described for those that responded. Perhaps you are seeing On Demand and not realizing its not your own DVR playlist.

18. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I am seeing my playlist for I have recorded programs via my am21 OTA box that are not available via my satellite.

19. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    What Android phone or Tablet?
    What O/S version?

Can you please provide a screenshot of the page that shows which DVR/Genie you are connected to. Its in the settings. It would show the connection to a specific Genie either by name or receiver number. (you can blank out the number if uncomfortable)

Thus far you are the only one that seems to have this fixed so many of us would like to it see it in action or as best we can with a photo. Thanks

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I uninstalled my DIRECTV App (android) and installed the DIRECTV for Tablet app. I hadn't seen that tablet app before in the Play Store and since I had the DIRECTV app installed, all the notifications I received about updates were for that app. Which did say things like 'download to phone', 'watch on phone.'

The Tablet app seems to work much better. It hasn't crashed yet and it doesn't pop-up while using other apps telling me it failed.

Tomorrow I'll watch some shows that I've recorded and saved to the tablet and maybe I'll try some OOH streaming.