DirecTV for iPad, no locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bmcleod, Sep 30, 2019.

1. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I know this issue has been covered, but I’d like to know if it’s fixable or I should just give up.

When I switched to DTV a little over a year ago, I could use the DirecTV for iPad App to watch ALL of the stations I could get through my Client / TV (except 4K). Specifically this included all my local stations: NBC, PBS, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW? A few months ago I stopped getting everything except CBS, then they came back for a little while, but have been gone since.

I thought they’d show back up eventually but when they didn’t I started searching here, I found a thread that said it was because location services weren’t working, and it thought you were somewhere else. Seemed reasonable, I’m usually identified by my ISP about 30 miles away, but then why did it work in the first place, I checked that location services were on for the App. I sort of forgot about it until I was in L.A. a couple weeks ago and I could get all the locals down there.

Today I called DTV and asked about it and was told that my locals probably didn’t want me streaming’s without using their App. That was after they tried to tell me it was a contract problem ... five networks, all at once?

So, does anyone know what the story is? Is it likely that I should only be able to get my local CBS, or can this be fixed? I’m in the Sacramento CA market and can get the locals OTA and via DTV. I’m not looking for a workaround, I know how to use the individual apps, I find the DTV App more convenient. Thanks.

Edit: Though I doubt it matters, I’m on ver. 5.16.004

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. Oct 1, 2019 #2 of 12
    bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I guess I can no longer watch CNBC and MSNBC either. Even though they appear in the guide, if I click on them nothing happens, same if I show the info and try to play from there. This has changed in the last week or so.

3. Oct 1, 2019 #3 of 12
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I don’t watch live TV on my iPad, but since you are reporting an issue, I thought I would check it out. I launched the DTV iPad app and selected the Today Show on NBC broadcast by my local station. I was able to bring up the live feed with no issues. Sorry that this doesn’t shed any light on why it isn’t working for you. BTW, the video quality of the live stream was not very good, so I would not be inclined to watch live programming this way.

bmcleod likes this.
  4. Oct 1, 2019 #4 of 12
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    I'm experiencing something similar. While at home and on the same network as my HR44, my ipad will list all local channels as available for live streaming in the guide. Once I select any local station other then NBC, the guide freezes, then refreshes the list excluding all locals except NBC. I have successfully watched live sports on ABC and FOX using their stand alone app.

5. Oct 1, 2019 #5 of 12
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    My wife noticed this last week as well.

6. Oct 1, 2019 #6 of 12
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    I agree the DirecTv live stream video quality is horrible. The stand alone apps are much better.

7. Oct 2, 2019 #7 of 12
    bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Just tried CNBC & MSNBC on the iPad and they’re both working tonight. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still however, no locals except CBS. :worried:

8. Oct 5, 2019 #8 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Are you on the same Network at home as your DIRECTV recovers are?

9. Oct 5, 2019 #9 of 12
    bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Yes, I have an HS17 (and the C61K clients) on the same network, the only exception was when I was out of town and saw the local LA stations.

10. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    So I just tried turning off my WiFi and running the DirecTV App over cellular (not on my network), and I get the same thing, only CBS.

11. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Well I’d hoped someone would know the scoop here, called the local AT&T store where the manger is pretty sharp, but they don’t use the app. Might try ‘the big store’ next time I’m out.

12. jcrandall

jcrandall Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    Likely the agreement with CBS in your area allows for out of home streaming, the other local channel agreements do not. I'm not sure, but it may be simliar to how the Now service has fewer locals than the satellite.

Now to really rain on the parade. The Nomad device, which was replaced by a software upgrade to the Genie device, allowed for out-of-home (an in-home) streaming for all channels on your box, especially including locals. It worked much like a sling box, technology that Dish has in their receiver. It wasn't perfect, but it was functional. DirecTV removed it with no explanation a year or two ago. My assumption is it was confusing and clunky (though did work) and it was easier to eliminate it than to improve it (or address the tech support inquiries prior to improving it).

Their online streaming player still uses Flash. That says a lot about the focus on improving online streaming.