1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV formally asks for access to Comcast Sportsnet Philly

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by snewo, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snewo

snewo AllStar

Sep 30, 2006
  2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, C* seems to say they'll withhold CSN until D* stops their exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket carriage agreement.

Same thing they've been saying for 10 years :(

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks like Comcast has a few tricks up it's sleeve to prevent competition to cable TV in it's home market.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Comcast is sooooo stupid.

DirecTV has an exclusive NFL ST carriage agreement because DirecTV *pays for it*. Comcast has had the chance to get Sunday Ticket in the past and has always passed on the chance to bid on it. Their loss.

The big difference also is that DirecTV does not own Sunday Ticket. The NFL does, thus the NFL can package up their games and sell them however they want. There is no monopoly on the part of DirecTV. Now *if* DirecTV actually owned the NFL then they would have to comply with the FCC regs. But they don't.

Comcast on the other hand actually owns the channel in question and that is the root of the problem.

I just love all the crying Comcast does on ST when they could have had it themselves years ago. What a bunch of babies and now they lost Uncle Spector's hold on the FCC so now they have to play fair. Waaaaaaah. :)

5. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    I wonder how much $$$ Arlen got from Comcast to allow this loophole to exist? But now that he's finally gone, we may actually have a chance.

6. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    It will be interesting to see how quickly the FCC will move to resolve the complaint. My guess is Comcast will stall until the FCC is ready to vote on the NBCU purchase, so I don't think we'll see CSN Philadelphia before the end of the year at best.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of all those who've been without their RSN for years.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006

Interesting. So they are holding out from D* because of NFLST, which has already been covered as to why it's a bogus arguement.

But, just for fun, let's say it's a vaild arguement. If so, what's E* holding back that comcast wants. Well, lets see, theres the...uh....hmmm...ah...oh nothing. So much for that arguement. :lol:

8. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    RobertE - Correct.

If CSN were on D*, I figure C* would lose at least 15% of their subscriptions in Philly.

(however, most Philly folks are convinced you lose your D* picture every time it rains)

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You do in Arkansas :)

10. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    I've been really shocked that all the Phils broadcasts are on EI this year, AND the post game show in it's entirety. The other night it went past the post game show into Sports Night, and stayed on as I dozed off. That didn't happen last year.

11. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    Swell.. You can see it in Florida, but we can't see it in metro-Philly.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I always wonder at Comcast stupidity. Gee, they are being told by the gummit that they have to play nice, so instead of talking a bit and making it just difficult at the negogiating table, they are saying they will NOT talk to DirecTV. So, how do they convince the gummit they are dealing in good faith? Morons.

13. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    tonyd - Come on, you know the answer... Comcast is above the government due to Senator Arlen and his buddies. They just don't care about the law. They'll just pay to have it changed.

Can't say I blame them. Why else would somebody spend $18M of their own money to run for a Senate seat that pays, what, about $160K per year?

Thomas Jefferson is turning in his grave.

14. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    That is a kick in the mid section alright. I know it's going to happen. I hope it's soon for all of us. Yep, real soon.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Spector could not save them from the inevitable and Spector is done now anyway.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.