1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV Full Transponder Maps Data of 12/28/08

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Gary Toma, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    The attachments to this post cover all DIRECTV Channels and Transponders, both CONUS (Continental US or National beams) and LIL (Local Into Local or Spot beams).

Three PDF documents provide the data for DIRECTV Satellites at the 73, 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119 West positions, formatted in three ways:

1. A full listing in Network Number sequence
    2. A full listing in Channel Name sequence
    3. A full listing in Channel Number sequence
    Three supplemental documents are also provided:

• A Transponder and Network Number Networklist reference sheet. This information is particularly useful in understanding the LIL data.
    • A Network Decoder map showing the satellites and transponders graphically as they appear on your receiver.
    • And for those of you who prefer to work with the data in Excel, a file rollyourown.xls is provided.

All documents are fully unprotected so you may copy and use the data as you wish.

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    GREAT work again.
    Thank you

Doctor j

3. Jan 2, 2009 #3 of 24
    doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Looks like the HD test channel placeholders are gone for many markets.
    Birmingham and Nashville do not appear:confused::confused:

Doctor j

4. Jan 3, 2009 #4 of 24
    doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Reviewing the lists from 11-3-08 and 12-30-08 ther appears to be approximately 150 less LIL channels listed.
    Mostly TEST channels on D-11.
    Anyone with ideas where they went??

Doctor j

5. Jan 3, 2009 #5 of 24
    Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Sorry - I haven't heard any good insights on why the 'test' entries in the transponder maps were removed. Hopefully, it is just a matter of housekeeping for the folks who create this data.

Pay attention to the "Networklist" docs, they too are evolving. This latest dump added Network 602, Huntsville, AL.

Also, the 2008/2009 DMA Ranks are out; I need to check the 'Networklist' for possible updates. Some DMA's may have moved about the ranks in this newest list.

6. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    How often do you plan on updating these lists?

7. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    I think our past record is something on the order of an update every four to six weeks.

Is there some factor that should be driving us to a more frequent schedule? There are of course, daily -even hourly- changes taking place. What are your thoughts?

8. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I would be interested in full update just before or just after any new LIL market releases.

Doctor j

9. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I'd love to see updates when new markets or individual channels are added for HD LiL, whether they are live or not.

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Corrections for your list... unless otherwise noted, it's for Sacramento, CA

SA3 - KCRA 3 (NBC)
    SA6 - KVIE 6 (PBS)
    SA10 - KXTV 10 (ABC)
    SA13 - KOVR 13 (CBS)
    SA15 - KOFY-20 - San Francisco, CA (TV Azteca)
    SA19 - KUVS-19 (Univision)
    SA29 - KSPX-29 (iON)
    SA31 - KMAX-29 (CW)
    SA40 - KTXL-40 (Fox)
    SA58 - KQCA-58 (MyTV)
    SA64 - KTFK-64 (Telefutura)

SA15 is interesting. The online channel guide on my DirecTiVO reads "Sacramento KTNC 42 (Virtual)", and apparently was to reuse the San Francisco feed. But, KTNC is now part of the San Francisco DMA instead of the Sacramento DMA, with the station located in Concord, which is between San Francisco and Sacramento.

11. babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Unless there are major changes taking place - ie: blocks of channels (markets) moving about - which would necessitate an immediate update, I think your planned update schedule is fine.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just a note of correction;

On the "network_decoder_v11.pdf" and other pdf files which state similarly, you list the satellite at 72.5 degrees as "DIRECTV-1." It's actually "DIRECTV-1R" which you have incorrectly listed in the core group at 101 degrees. "DIRECTV-1" is located at 91 degrees for use by the Canadian Telesat Co. for providing BSS services into Canada.

DIRECTV-1 has also reached EOL and DirecTV has submitted a Special Temporary Authority (STA) to the FCC to de-orbit the satellite beginning on 2/2/09 if granted here.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=-159178

Otherwise, very good work;

Thanks a much. :)

13. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I wish the FCC wouldn't use the term "de-orbit" in connection with these sats.

From the document you linked:

A much better term is "graveyard orbit" - it'll be up there pretty much forever. "De-orbit" means, to any satellite or spacecraft engineer, to lower perigee sufficient to enter the atmosphere of the body orbited, or impact its surface.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah;

That word bothered me also. “Graveyard” or DirecTV’s choice of “Disposal” orbit would be better and more correct. But I think that is just the bureaucratic nature of official government bodies when they create these sorts of formal application procedures involving various scientific and technical issues. They do not always use technically accurate terminology. And worse, I notice it seems once they adopt a term or phrase, right or wrong, it becomes written in stone and hard to change if at all.

But that’s government for you…:rolleyes:

15. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Well, it is obvious I need to do some homework. The attachment - a beautiful bit of artwork - was used at the beginning of a DIRECTV Director's meeting in February, 2006. Notice the satellite names on this overhead.

These folks neglected to notice that the sat names and locations were wrong?

No offense intended --- please help me get this darn thing accurate!!

Thanks,
    gct

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sure;

I will definitely help with any and all corrective information I come across. And there is definitely no implied criticism here. As I certainly realize this is hard work sorting all this out. And considering that not only is DirecTV of absolutely no assistance in this endeavour, but to complicate matters they are constantly moving things around with up there with the satellites and transponder mappings.

It was actually “Sixto” who corrected me on another thread when I cited the info. about "DIRECTV-1" listed at 72.5 from the PDF, and I was just passing it along here.

17. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Nice work as always. Just looked over my DMA (#15 right now, Minneapolis-St. Paul) and all looks in order. Not much has changed here for quite awhile though besides adding our PBS station in HD ;)

18. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Just curious to know if WGAL (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA) has changed transponders on 103W within the past few weeks. I had D* here last week to replace an faulty LNB and also to tweak my dish aiming and, afterwards, just about all of the signals on 99c and 103c were up into the mid to upper 90s after the tweak except for transponder 15 on 103s. This one went down to the 70s, although transponder 16 on 103s is now at 99 or 100. Everywhere I see it listed, our HD locals are on transponder 15 of 103s.

19. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Could you do a map formatted in Transponder Number sequence?

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I am constantly surprised and impressed by the hard work that some folks here put into assembling these kinds of lists/reports.

Thanks to those of you who share this interesting information with those of us who lack the resources, time, and talent to do so. :)