DirecTV Genie (HR44-500) Error 923

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lschwarcz, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Jul 4, 2020 #1 of 45
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

My DirecTV Genie HR44-500 this morning gave me an error 923. It says the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. I'm using an external drive and wonder if this error could be referring to the internal drive or if it really thinks my external drive has failed. Given what I've seen from the quality of their hardware and software this wouldn't surprise me. After all, they essentially give the DVRs away for free with a 2-year commitment so they really can't spend too much on them.

What's odd is that I'm using an external enclosure with a WD Black 2TB drive that's only 5 months old. From what I've read these are supposed to be much more reliable than the drives they use internally.

So my questions are:
    1. Could this error be referring to my internal drive and that my external drive, with my recordings, is actually fine?
    2. Could the issue be the enclosure and not the drive itself?
    What's really frustrating is that we'll be moving out of state in about a year. When we move I was going to look into other TV providers. I've been so frustrated with DirecTV and the poor quality software and hardware that I really can't see sticking with them after the move. I figured it would be a good time to start fresh with someone else who must be better. After all, it wouldn't take much for another TV provider to be better than this.

What's also very sad is that if they only gave us some way to make a backup of our drives then that would avoid this whole issue. But that's out of the question from them. I guess it would be too nice to the customers and they would never do something like that!

Thanks in advance for any help and for putting up with my ranting too :mad:.

Larry.

2. Jul 4, 2020 #2 of 45
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Have you tried booting up without the external drive?

lschwarcz likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2020 #3 of 45
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Hmmm. I'm a little embarrassed to say, no. Let me try that now.

Thanks!
    Larry.

4. Jul 4, 2020 #4 of 45
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The answer seems simple enough to me. Have you tried removing the external drive and see if the issue persists?

lschwarcz likes this.
  5. Jul 4, 2020 #5 of 45
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Missed it by THAT much! (apologies to Maxwell Smart)

compnurd and lschwarcz like this.
  6. Jul 4, 2020 #6 of 45
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    OK, I just tried your logical suggestion and guess what? I still get the failed hard drive.

So it seems that even if you're using an external drive, you still need to have a working internal drive.

And, as I recall, if you're using an external drive, you still have to have an internal drive or it won't boot.

So it seems that my external is OK (fingers crossed) and I just need to replace my internal with a drive that works.

What's also sad (I seem to have a lot of "sad" today :() is that I really doubt DirecTV would supply a replacement internal drive since they don't want us opening up these boxes (yes, I've had this one open before).

I guess my next step is to find the cheapest internal drive I can find and swap it with the broken internal one. I actually have a couple of drives I'm not using but I don't want to waste my perfectly good 1TB or 4TB drives inside a DirecTV DVR just to make it think the drive is working!

I did see this trick on another forum (sorry, I don't have the original authors name):

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

1 Reboot DVR via Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
    2 When they see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    3 You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    4 Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Surface Test​

I would also guess that even if this helped, it would just be a temporary solution.

Again, I'm still going to drop DirecTV when we move. It's just too much of a pain to deal with their frequent bugs and then the inevitable loss of recorded shows.

Thanks again!
    Larry.

7. Jul 4, 2020 #7 of 45
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    I just tried do to that surface test but it's not in the diagnostics menu on my HR44.

Does anyone know if there is some type of extensive drive test/repair facility available? I'd like to try that before having to order a new internal drive.

Thanks again!
    Larry.

8. Jul 4, 2020 #8 of 45
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Does anyone know if there's a minimum capacity for the internal drive? I found a WD 250GB drive for $20. If that'll work to at least have a working internal drive I can replace with that. Cheap enough solution. And, when I move and dump DirecTV I'll remove my own drive and put back in their defective POS drive :).

Thanks once again!
    Larry.

9. Jul 4, 2020 #9 of 45
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I don’t know but I would do 500 to be safe

lschwarcz likes this.
  10. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    My Brother-in-law has a 500GB he's not using. I'll get that put in and see if that does it.

Thanks everyone!
    Larry.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Try just disconnecting the internal drive. Leave it in there, just unplug it, see if that works.

lschwarcz likes this.
  12. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    I think I tried that long ago when I added the external drive. I believe that the DVR must have a connected internal drive to work even if it's using an external drive.

Thanks,
    Larry.

13. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Am I correct that when using an external drive, nothing gets stored on the internal drive? All content, settings, preferences, guide data, series to record, everything is on the external drive. Is this correct?

Thanks again!
    Larry.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Uh, why not just put the external internal? That fixes all the problem.

lschwarcz likes this.
  15. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    I just tried chatting with DirecTV tech support. Here's what he said:

Carlos C : Due to the fact even you have rebooted it and the issue still persists, a receiver replacement is needed. And allow me to explain to you the external hard drives are not compatible with the DIRECTV receivers, no worries! i will help you to replace that box ​

I asked to be transferred to a tech who know about using an external drive. He transferred me to his supervisor who also didn't know anything about it.

OK. it's 6PM on the 4th of July holiday. So maybe they have the techs working who can solve the common issues, not ones like this. But to just assume I need to replace my DVR because they don't know about it is a poor reply.

Just one more reason why I'm becoming more and more disappointed with DirecTV and will likely switch to something else. UGH!

Thanks,
    Larry.

16. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Yea, that would but I like the idea that my external is external. When some other part of the DVR takes a dump (and it will eventually like most DirecTV DVRs) I won't have to tear it open to recover my drive.

And in theory, I could power down the DVR and make a duplicate of the external drive as a backup. Of course, that would only work if my own drive failed and needed to replace it on the same DVR. Of course, I'd need another drive to act as the backup and actually take the time to do it, which I have not ;).

Thanks,
    Larry.

17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    DTV support uses the standard operating procedure to replace the DVR no matter what is wrong. I've never heard of them replacing a hard drive or sending a new hard drive out. It is always replace the receiver. I doubt you will be able to talk to anyone that will tell you different.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I hear ya, I used to think the same. Then I just put it inside. And much happier these days.

Less heat and less power and it’s not that hard to open these DVRs up.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You are correct. There was a time when you could take out the internal drive and use only an external drive but that was "fixed".

Rich

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have one HR24 that has a bad drive mounted internally and an SSD mounted externally. Works well. After reading everything you've written I have to agree with the CSR, I would get a replacement for the HR.

Rich