DirecTV Genie HR54 External Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JKPhoto, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1 of 72
    JKPhoto

JKPhoto New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    East...
    I have had an HR44 and now an HR54 Genie in my home. I have attempted to install an external hard drive to each of them without success. The unit will recognize the drive, even format it, but the system slows to a crawl for any action (change channel/ MENU/ GUIDE/ LIST etc) and then has constant FREEZES that last from 1 sec to 1 minute.

I have tried the following enclosures ...

1) http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProRaid-HUR3-SU3S3-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B00KCEAXJW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

2) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1151007-REG/cineraid_cr_h458_usb_3_0_esata.html

3) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182316

I have attempted to connect these in RAID 0/1/5/10 all with the same results. #3 is a single drive enclosure which I have read on this site is working for someone on the HR54, but it is doing the same crawl/freeze as the RAID enclosures on my unit.

I recently connected it, and then reset the entire unit to factory defaults, but to no avail ... same results.

I have to be doing something fundamentally wrong. Not sure what it is. I have formatted the drives before installing them into the enclosure (exFAT on a MAC using Disk Utility) and the HR44/ HR54 sees them and "Formats External Drive"

The drive is active ... I can record to it. But as an example it will take a minute or two before the recording begins. If I then stop the recording it will take a couple of minutes before it stops and deletes the file. Meanwhile I cannot change the channel on the set or bring up the guide etc.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Joe

2. Apr 9, 2016 #2 of 72
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You don't need to format the external drive. The DVR will take care of that.

Be sure to give it a couple of days to "settle down" after connecting/initializing the external drive. Lots of background task can make things seem slow for a while.

3. Apr 9, 2016 #3 of 72
    JKPhoto

JKPhoto New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    East...
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think it normal that it feels un-usable for a few days? I cannot even change channels in less than a minute or so.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    JK, you're miss recent lengthily discussion of the "logic" - it's normal for setup DVR (or like in your, change HDD, regardless if it internal or external).
    I'm sure it's not normal, but many procured it is :( so be in same boat as DTV

5. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Using a RAID just sounds weird to me, i dont know if having a RAID setup will cause this but i would start there first. Try a standard hard drive without RAID, recommend WB My Passport 1TB

6. JKPhoto

JKPhoto New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    East...
    I have tried a non-RAID enclosure (#3 in my list) ... but as soon as I connect any external drive (the RAID enclosures act exactly the same as the single drive enclosure) the same things happen and the system freezes etc. Bottom line is it does not seem to be a RAID vs non-RAID, it seems that no external drive works properly. I was getting the same issues on the HR44 receiver as well.

I have not had the patience to let it sit in the system for a day or two as it really prevents us from watching TV at all as you cannot really even bring up the Guide and Page up and down to search for programs to watch - it is that S-L-O-W.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The HR54 has serious problems with RAID. I had 1 RAID1 setup working but that took me a lot of trial and error. I wound up just putting a 6TB drive inside my HR54.

As far as performance it shouldn't take a hit like you're explaining, not even within the first 24 hours. There's no "settle" time when adding an external drive. If anything adding a new drive should improve performance because there are no recordings to index, and so on.

My guess is that in the case of your single drive setup the HR54 just doesn't like that enclosure.

8. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Does the HDD have usb 2.0 or 3.0? Just suggestions to look at and try......the joys of troubleshooting.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    USB doesn't work for external drives on any HR series. As a Tech you should know that. :)

10. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Techs don't support external HDD that people hook up to their box. Same thing with sound system.

Tech only support DTV hardware and system.

I don't know much about hooking up external HDD, just thought I could help troubleshoot and in return I get some smart-ass remark....

11. JKPhoto

JKPhoto New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    East...
    I had read on here that the last drive in my list was working for someone. Is it that variable from unit to unit?

How do you open up the HR54? Do you have to break the tabs on the plastic cover?

12. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    never open a HR54, only a HR24 that was owned.

you will have to break the void sticker, do you lease the receiver? The HR24 case just pops right off....no screws. You probably will just need a flat head and work it around the case and the base.

13. JKPhoto

JKPhoto New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    East...
    Thanks DTV_Tech ...

I do not own the HR54 but do own the HR24. I think I will put in a 1 or 2TB drive.

I assume when I take out the existing drive I can copy everything onto the new drive before installing and retain all current series info and recordings?

1 person likes this.
  14. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Kinda, you won't be able to transfer the data by plugging it into a computer You will have to a sector by sector copy of the hdd...

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You might want to check your six o'clock.

Changing hard drives isn't anywhere as simple as you're suggesting if they're different sizes AND you want to save the recordings.

Please only post suggestions you HAVE ACTUALLY DONE with success.

Swapping a drive and having the DVR reformat the new drive is "easy".

16. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    yeah its best you get the exact same HDD. You can PM if you like...i can guide you through step by step on doing the copy.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think you must take one major point to YOUR account/memory: you came to the site six (or more) year LATE and missed a LOT of real facts/info (particularly "how-to-copy-DVR-HDD").

So, take a deep breath, hold your posting, spend some time for research/search/reading here.

18. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    What you talking about? Its not rocket science to clone a HDD, I've done DOJ backups for the government and forensics backups for litigations.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    oooh, sure - you are THE expert !!!

Please take my advice - start learning new things HERE !

[You got demonstrated enough misconceptions catches by members here]

20. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    unlike some people around here....I already admitted i dont know everything. It even in my signature for the love of GOD. please stop being bitter.