DirecTV Going all Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by calguy99, Sep 17, 2019 at 6:39 PM.

1. calguy99

calguy99 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Hi I Have a DirecTV account with multiple DVRs, one Genie and 3 mini genies at home and an HD DVR and a HD receiver at a vacation home. This week the HD receiver at the vacation home died. I contacted DirecTV and they sent an technician to install the HD receiver. Before he got to the vacation home he called. He explained that shortly DirecTV will be going all Genie and the older equipment will be decommissioned and non Genie equipment will no longer be supported.

Has anyone else had experience with this situation. It's the first I've heard of this.

Thanks.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Haven't heard anything official ...

But something may indeed be up here with the older boxes.

So you might try posting to this thread here ....

Is there a receiver shortage?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    They have been pushing the Genie 2 hard. What non-Genie devices are still in production? Are they even making the 54s right now?

Unless they come out with something else, Genie will be the only way.

4. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    HR54 & HS-17 are the latest AFAIK.

5. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are they still making the HS17?

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And AFAIK, the latest model HR54s, i.e., the ones without the e-SATA port, are still in production. And the HS17 of course. ...

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    AFAIK ...

8. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I will only upgrade to a hs17 if and only if that it will support LCC devices. Until then I will keep my hr54.

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Rule #1 of Directv: Never believe anything a tech tells you about Directv's future
    Rule #2 of Directv: Never believe anything a CSR tells you about Directv's future

Directv is still in the process of trying to get rid of nearly 20 year old SD equipment. Even if they wanted to get rid of H2x/HR2x it would take them many years, and the first step would be telling customers. It wouldn't be something a tech just happens to mention. They come up with some crazy stuff sometimes...

Now maybe they will start only allowing Genies/clients for new accounts, that I could believe since they haven't made HR24s for a long time and the only reason they still make H25s is because commercial accounts need them. But again that's not something a random tech is going to know about before anyone on dbstalk or satelliteguys.

Rich and I WANT MORE like this.
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    add to that DTV converted into ATT business with all the quirks and hurdles ...

11. calguy99

calguy99 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    So what I needed to replace is an HD25 wich would not boot up, so to speak. And what DTV was going to replace it with was a genie mini. That's when the installer called me and told me the story about only Genies being supported. But if I purchased an HD25 from a company like SolidSignal do i still have to go through Directv to get the HD25 and a new access card activated? I was also reading that the new access card is something like a Micro SD card.

12. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm curious why they sent a tech for a receiver failure. Typically they'd ship you a replacement receiver and have you ship them the broken one. What exactly did you tell them when you called?

I'd try calling them again and saying NOTHING other than "the H25 doesn't even power on". Don't tell them it is located at your vacation home, as permanently keeping receivers at two locations is a violation of their terms of service. A common violation they basically overlook, but still a violation. Let them ship it to your home, don't try to get them to ship it to a different address. Make sure they ship you a receiver, not a client - tell them you already have three clients and don't want a fourth because it would impact your ability to record on your Genie.

What it all might have come down to though was that the tech didn't have an H25 on his truck so he tried to convince you to use a client by telling you the other stuff was going away. For installers that might be true, they might not carry any H2x/HR2x on their trucks anymore except when they know for sure they'll need it from the work order. Just like they stopped carrying SD hardware a few years earlier. They probably don't carry legacy LNBs or SWM switches either if they do only residential installs, because those would hardly ever be used anymore. They'd rather carry more of what they'll use, than stuff they might go weeks or even months without needing.

studechip likes this.
  13. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I’d be willing to bet DIRECTV going to All Genie is untrue.

14. calguy99

calguy99 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    I just called DTV and a guy from billing answered. I explained what happened and that my H 25-500 stopped working. He told me that he was sending me a genie minnie and that it was compatible with my HR 24 500 and there would be no charge. I told him that someone else from DTV told me a different story and he sort of laughed. I think he may be wrong. We'll see what happens when I get it.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Do you have a Genie where this mini will be located? If not, it won't work.

I think both of the people you talked with lack training.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    He's wrong ...

The Genie Mini only works with a Genie 1 or 2 to act as the server for it.

It will not work with an HR24 DVR ...

Callback and cancel and insist on another H25 receiver. ...

17. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    The client definitely will not work at the vacation home with the 24. I’d call them back and tell them to ship replacement H25 because you don’t want to lose a tuner by going with a client.

18. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yep, tell them you already have three minis and don't want a fourth because it takes too many tuners away from your Genie. Insist they replace it with another receiver.

While he's correct the client will work "with" the HR24 as far as being able to co-exist and work with each other, it can't operate when the HR24 is the only other receiver. It is a slave to a Genie, it can't slave to an HR24.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah, with the hope the CSR doesn't have a list of the sub's equipment up on the computer screen ...

But yes, it's a real shame we have to actually advise the OP to lie to cut through all the CSR scripted crap to get immediate results.

But with the sad shape AT&T/DIRECTV customer service is in nowadays, it doesn't leave us much choice ...

Rich and BigRedFan like this.
  20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    While I agree customer service is lacking, the main reason the OP has to lie is because he has equipment at two locations under one account.

If he had truthfully listed his vacation equipment at a second location, the system would not allow them to even send a client.