DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official 2020 Thread)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by James Long, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jan 1, 2020 #1 of 23
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Please use this thread to discuss your feelings about upcoming national HD channels.

This thread will not be as tightly moderated as the rest of the site, but here's the tradeoff...in exchange for being able to rant a bit more, you can be assured that absolutely no one at DIRECTV will be using this thread for reference.

You can ask for all the new HD you want, but DIRECTV's marketing department knows that the 100-150 contributors to this thread are only a small part of the over 20 million U.S subscribers (37+ million world wide).

*Please remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
    *Please do not "bump" this thread.
    *Other threads that do nothing but anticipate HD channels for which there is no information will be closed.
    *This is not a DIRECTV vs. Dish thread, there are other threads for that.

2. Jan 1, 2020 #2 of 23
    bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    I'll start it off, I'd like to see all the Starz stations in HD

longhorn23 likes this.
  3. Jan 2, 2020 #3 of 23
    techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Now that AT&T owns Cinemax I want them to add OuterMax HD on the unused channel 518 :D Not fair U-Verse TV has it but not DirecTV.

longhorn23 likes this.
  4. Jan 2, 2020 #4 of 23
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've been asking for DIRECTV to add OuterMax since Christ was a Corporal. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

5. Jan 2, 2020 #5 of 23
    chino

chino Member

Jul 11, 2017
    If you have on demand on can see all of cinemax movie you don’t need to have outermax to see does movies

6. Jan 2, 2020 #6 of 23
    oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic Member

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    I think it's more likely at this point that Cinemax stops existing altogether than OuterMax HD comes to DirecTV.

7. Jan 2, 2020 #7 of 23
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sportsman channel already. It’s available on AT&T’s streaming side.

APB101 likes this.
  8. Jan 3, 2020 #8 of 23
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Happy New Year 2020!

The best prediction I had, in 2019 (it may have happened just before, like in late-2018), was that AT&T’s DirecTV would end up adding Epix.

A motivator was that Comcast added Epix systemwide at some point in 2018. So, given that Comcast is that other Top-2 U.S. provider of cable-television subscriptions, I sensed AT&T was not going to be able to avoid launching Epix on DirecTV. (If I remember correctly—AT&T was already carrying Epix on U–verse.) And, so, Epix was added to DirecTV on May 19, 2019.

My main focus, in these “HD Channel Anticipation” threads, tend to be on programmers currently carried by AT&T’s DirecTV in standard definition which may get upgraded to high definition.

I don’t know, at this point, if there is much intention by AT&T. We may still be in a period in which, contractually, there is considerable cost, per subscriber, for a cable-television provider to carry a given programmer in HD. If that is still the case, perhaps this is a turn-off to AT&T. If that is so, it may explain why the likes of Logo, Discovery Life, Nicktoons, TeenNick, UP, TVG, Sportsman Channel, and premium-movie programmers—and I’m not mentioning those which are part of the public-interest category—have not been upgraded to HD. (That cable-television providers nowadays want to not add but reduce their overall spending on carried programmers.)

I won’t bother, on this date of January 3, 2020, with a list of what one may anticipate getting added this year in HD.

9. Jan 3, 2020 #9 of 23
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Directv also pushed back the SD turn off as well.

Now when will the cubs channel show and will be it on channel 664 or 666

10. wolverines1

wolverines1 New Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Am I mistaken or is AT&T trying to let go of DirecTV or is that an old story!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That wasn't because they wanted to, but because they found they had some contracts that required them to continue offering it beyond the planned EOY 2019 shutdown.

Not that they specifically had to offer 'SD', but the customers in question (aircraft and oil rigs, there may have been others as well) probably depend on Ku. Aircraft because installing a built-in flat beam steering antenna in an aircraft would not be cheap, and one that works for multiple locations at once and Ka would be even more expensive and require a very expensive refit. Oil rigs because offshore rigs probably depend on the greater coverage of Ku "spilling over" into the Gulf of Mexico.

If they went MPEG4 SD on 101 they could probably meet these customers needs (replacing any MPEG2 SD receivers would be simple) but that isn't their desired end goal so it made sense just to leave MPEG2 SD in place longer than originally planned, and slow down the transition.

12. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Another reason for the push-back is most likely supply. They don't want to deplete their stock of Genies (HR44/54) and wired Genie Minis too quickly which could cause bad effects to new subs and existing subs needing replacements.

13. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    No, the reason was solely those contracts. They had a full schedule worked out which would have had about half the MPEG2 SD DMAs shut down by the middle of last summer, and everything including MPEG2 SD national channels was going to be shut down by the end of last year. I was sent one of the internal documents from that.

Given Directv's large subscriber losses in the past couple years, they would have recovered plenty of Genies and clients, so they were never in any danger of depleting their stock. And they knew about that MPEG2 SD schedule years in advance, so they had time to plan. If anything their problem now might be lack of space to store all those Genies...

14. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
  15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The FSN stuff is filler. How often would something live on FSN conflict with a Cubs game? I don't expect there to be a great need for an overflow with only one major team.

SamC likes this.
  16. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    well if they can pick off some of the FSN stuff that CSN CHI / NBCSN CHI may still have some rights to or that they did not pick up. The cubs channel also gives an in for the Stadium network to run events in HD and / or not on an free OTA channel. also can be used to spite Comcast.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/08/26/sinclair-ceo-see-massive-opportunity-with.html

17. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    So DirecTV is getting rid of El Rey and Fusion on January 23 per the on screen guide and almost everyone's prices are going to go up starting next month per a paper included with my latest bill. Another great start to the year!:unamused:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  18. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Here is something to consider: There will be eleven more months in 2020.

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Don't be so sure...whatever happens in the election in November, half the country is going to predict the end of the world :D

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    This is not a political forum, so I'll keep my predictions and preferences to myself.

This could be an interesting year for DIRECTV. One of the ways that they can have the same lineup on AT&T TV and DIRECTV is to drop the channels that are not on both. It is a negative way of looking at the problem, but the concept of all of AT&T's services having the same lineup by adding channels on one service and not the others has not panned out.

Dishdude714 likes this.