DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-18 Thread)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by James Long, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 1, 2018 #1 of 251
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Please use this thread to discuss your feelings about upcoming national HD channels.

This thread will not be as tightly moderated as the rest of the site, but here's the tradeoff...in exchange for being able to rant a bit more, you can be assured that absolutely no one at DIRECTV will be using this thread for reference.

You can ask for all the new HD you want, but DIRECTV's marketing department knows that the 100-150 contributors to this thread are only a small part of the over 20 million U.S subscribers (37+ million world wide).

*Please remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
    *Please do not "bump" this thread.
    *Other threads that do nothing but anticipate HD channels for which there is no information will be closed.
    *This is not a DIRECTV vs. Dish thread, there are other threads for that.

If you have any questions as to what belongs in this thread or an individual channel thread please read the latest DIRECTV Programming Forum Rules (Link).

Khaetra likes this.
  2. Jan 1, 2018 #2 of 251
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Happy New Year!

I'll take a few dozen premium movie channels please.

3. Jan 1, 2018 #3 of 251
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    OuterMax HD would be nice.

APB101 likes this.
  4. Jan 1, 2018 #4 of 251
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    The rest of the missing HD channels would be nice. :)

Honestly though not much left.

Missing HD channels
    240 Home Shopping Network HD
    261 Discovery Life HD
    272 Logo HD
    291 Disney Channel West HD
    293 Baby First HD
    297 Cartoon Network West HD
    298 Boomerang HD
    300 Nickelodeon West HD
    302 Nicktoons HD
    303 Teen Nick HD
    306 ION West HD
    313 Jewelry TV HD
    315 QVC 2 HD
    330 BET Her HD
    338 UP HD
    349 Newsmax HD
    350 C-Span HD
    351 C-Span 2 HD
    352 NASA HD
    354 Dog TV HD
    357 CNBC World HD
    364 Inspiration Network HD
    369 Daystar HD
    370 Eternal World TV Network HD
    372 Trinity Broadcasting Network HD
    374 Brigham Young University HD
    508 HBO Family West HD
    521 MovieMax HD
    5?? OuterMax HD
    536 Starz Encore West HD
    537 Starz Encore Classic HD
    538 Starz Encore Westerns HD
    539 Starz Encore Suspence HD
    540 Starz Encore Black HD
    542 Starz Encore Family HD
    554 The Movie Channel West HD
    556 Flix HD
    602 TVG HD
    6?? TVG 2 HD
    605 Sportsman Channel HD

APB101 likes this.
  5. Jan 1, 2018 #5 of 251
    Pete-Repete

Pete-Repete New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    FETV Channel 343.

6. Jan 1, 2018 #6 of 251
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    CSPAN-3 also available in HD.

7. Jan 1, 2018 #7 of 251
    theloudhouse5

theloudhouse5 Member

Nov 20, 2017
    You mean channel 323

8. Jan 1, 2018 #8 of 251
    theloudhouse5

theloudhouse5 Member

Nov 20, 2017
    I would like nicktoons teenick and discovery life
    Nicktoons should be here because its hd feed launched around same time as nick Jr channel hd and nick Jr hd is on directv
    Teenick launched an hd feed in september 2016 about a year ago
    Not sure.about Discovey life

APB101 likes this.
  9. Jan 1, 2018 #9 of 251
    boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    We need it period first of all

10. Jan 1, 2018 #10 of 251
    Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    How is Investigation Discovery doing well in the ratings? It's sort of an also-ran channel with a bunch of re-runs of murder mysteries that turn into the same thing over and over again after a while.

Pay TV needs a serious channel purge. It's a tragedy of the commons. Not only are channels like ESPN charging WAY too much for their channels, but there are too many channels that couldn't survive on their own outside of a massive bundle that have come along for the ride, and the combination of these two factors means that there is no incentive for the popular channels to charge reasonable rates or for the obscure ones to just close their doors and go away, and the result is the massive package bloat and resultant cord cutting that we see today.

We need a massive purge of pay tv channels, but there is no mechanism for this to happen except for massive cord cutting and destabilization of the entire industry. MVPDs have little incentive to go in and prune out 50 or 100 or 150 junk channels because each one has a tiny niche of customers who would complain very vocally and switch providers if they get rid of them.

True a la carte would be the ultimate market-based way to weed out lousy channels. My prediction is that, out of the 220 or so HD channels in existence on US cable/satellite/IPTV systems today, at least 150, and possibly upwards of 200 would fail under such a system, and we'd be better off for it.

In a decade, I don't think we will have giant TV bundles like we do today. I'm not sure what pay TV is going to look like then, I don't think it will be true a la carte, as almost no one has a financial interest in doing that, but we may end up with more topical or genre-based packages or bundles, or packages or bundles by the content owner, either way keeping some bloat in the system, but also creating more of a market of types, and exposing how inefficient and expensive the pay tv system is.

11. Jan 1, 2018 #11 of 251
    Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I don't know the numbers but it's one of my favorite channels. It's pretty much exclusively original programming (except Dateline, 20/20 and 48 Hours) and I've even bought season passes of some of their shows on iTunes so I don't have to skip through commercials. I also read CrimeFeed - Investigation Discovery's True Crime Blog every day.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  12. Jan 1, 2018 #12 of 251
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They don't have a HD feed to add, and considering how low budget they're being run I highly doubt they went back and got the original film masters for their shows and are only showing hand me down copies that have been in rotation since the 70s and 80s.

As mentioned in last quarter's thread, it's regularly in the top 10 and has gotten upgraded to expanded basic on many cable providers in recent years. It's not just an "also ran" channel anymore, they have a lot of first run content now and became one of Discovery's flagship brands internationally.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  13. Jan 1, 2018 #13 of 251
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Here's a fuller list:

Channels with HD feeds currently carried in SD or only part time HD:
    240 HSN
    261 Discovery Life
    272 Logo
    302 Nicktoons
    303 TeenNick
    315 QVC2
    316 Evine Live
    330 BET Her
    338 UP
    537 Starz Encore Classic
    538 Starz Encore Westerns
    539 Starz Encore Suspense
    540 Starz Encore Black
    542 Starz Encore Family
    556 Flix
    602 TVG
    603 The Cowboy Channel
    605 Sportsman Channel
    621 Fox Soccer Plus
    660 Fox Sports Ohio
    661 Fox Sports Cincinnati

West Coast feeds that are currently SD only:
    291 Disney Channel West
    297 Cartoon Network West
    300 Nickelodeon West
    306 Ion West
    403 Univision West
    508 HBO Family West
    536 Starz Encore West
    554 The Movie Channel West

DNS feeds that are currently SD only nationally:
    394 WDCW (CW Washington, DC)
    395 KTLA (CW Los Angeles)

Channels paying to be carried that have HD feeds available:
    226 Shop LC
    234 WOW
    263 GetIt
    310 Go4It
    313 Jewelry Television
    318 Beauty iQ
    321 RT America
    344 SBN
    349 Newsmax
    364 INSP

Spanish channels with HD feeds currently carried in SD:
    412 Multimedios
    413 Discovery en Espanol
    415 Videorola
    420 Atreseries
    426 Starz Encore Español
    430 HOLA TV
    436 Discovery Familia
    437 TV Chile
    441 Azteca
    442 Estrella TV
    443 History en Espanol
    446 Canal 22 Internacional
    449 Cine Sony
    450 Viendo Movies
    453 FOROtv
    458 Antena 3
    462 Cine Mexicano
    468 GolTV
    469 TyC Sports

P/I Channels that have HD feeds available:
    293 BabyFirst
    350 C-SPAN
    351 C-SPAN2
    352 NASA TV
    363 GEB
    365 God TV
    369 Daystar
    370 EWTN
    371 Hillsong
    372 TBN
    374 BYU
    376 CTN
    379 UplifTV
    380 Impact
    388 JBS
    461 HITN

Channels with HD feeds not carried at all by DirecTV:
    The Blaze
    Catholic TV
    Classic Arts Showcase
    C-SPAN3
    DuckTV HD
    EWTN Espanol
    FidoTV
    Fight Network
    FNTSY
    Hallmark Drama
    Havoc
    HSN2
    Hustler HD
    i24
    Music Choice Play
    Newsy
    NHK World
    Outside Television
    PixL
    Ride TV
    TCT HD
    Teleformula
    Telehit
    Toku
    TV Asia
    TV Japan
    TVG 2
    Willow Cricket
    World Fishing Network
    Youtoo America
    Z Living
    Cars.TV
    ES.TV
    MyDestination.TV
    Pets.TV
    Recipe.TV
    OuterMax
    Showtime Family Zone
    MoviePlex
    IndiePlex
    RetroPlex

Channels not carried that are currently in some kind of dispute:
    NBC Sports Northwest
    NBC Sports Philadelphia
    NBC Sports Philadelphia +
    Pac-12 Network (+6 Regional feeds)
    Spectrum SportsNet LA (Dodgers)
    Epix
    Epix 2
    Epix Hits
    Epix Drive-In

Channels with no HD feed that could potentially launch HD feeds within the next few years:
    Boomerang
    Telemundo (Only the feeds for OTA affiliates are HD, the national feed distributed to cable and sat providers is currently SD only)
    Fox College Sports Atlantic
    Fox College Sports Central
    Fox College Sports Pacific
    CNN International (Only the European feed is distributed in HD, the North American feed is currently SD only)
    Military History
    Lifetime Real Women

HD content available on demand
    Available to stream in HD via their TV Everywhere platform or app (i.e. Discovery Go, Fox Sports Go, etc)
    VOD currently in test mode

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Khaetra likes this.
  14. Jan 1, 2018 #14 of 251
    Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    All of those should have been added years ago. Yeah we know it's all about contracts, money, and ratings so you don't need to waste your time explaining it to us (again).

15. Jan 1, 2018 #15 of 251
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Considering that many of them didn't even launch HD feeds until last year (and some others didn't even exist yet), even if contracts weren't an issue it would have been kind of hard to have added all of them years ago. ;)

16. Jan 1, 2018 #16 of 251
    Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    My mistake I meant on day one that the HD feed existed. Contracts can always be amended or renewed early.

17. Jan 1, 2018 #17 of 251
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    CSN Northwest, the old CSN Houston, and Sportsnet LA would beg to differ. The NHL Network also didn't arrive on day 1. (Not to mention that Versus dispute after they jacked their rates after they got the NHL)

The closest example I can think of was FS1, and in that case DirecTV was one of the holdouts. The ONLY reason we got that day 1 instead of a bare bones version of Speed like Fox originally planned for anyone who didn't renegotiate was because national sports rights tend to come with minimum distribution clauses and the combo of Dish, DirecTV and Time Warner Cable and several others would have left them under that so they caved and let the remaining providers get FS1 at the Speed rates.

18. Jan 1, 2018 #18 of 251
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Happy New Year, Everyone!

HD anticipation for 2018?

I will mention a few, which were listed by TheRatPatrol, but this is not a prediction. It is guessing.

240 Home Shopping Network HD
    302 Nicktoons HD
    338 UP HD

605 Sportsman Channel HD

theloudhouse5 and KyL416 like this.
  19. Jan 1, 2018 #19 of 251
    Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Well that's because one side is being greedy and/or the other side is being cheap, right? That's the excuses I always read. It's just like a fender bender, it's always the other person's fault? You're obviously a DirecTV employee so I already know what your answer is going to be.

20. Jan 1, 2018 #20 of 251
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    For the record I'm not a DirecTV employee.

And the he said/she said doesn't apply in all those cases.

CSN Northwest is mostly a money thing, and there's multiple articles about the Trailblazers being unhappy with Comcast about the situation.

CSN Houston was basically the Astro's owner's fault and their setup of all 3 partners having equal right to refusal instead of majority rule. They actually had deals in place with DirecTV and some others that the network management along with the Rockets and Comcast agreed to, but it all fell through once Jim Crane demanded even more money before the deals were finalized. Eventually the stalemate between the owners led to the bankruptcy and Root/AT&T/DirecTV acquiring the assets and TV rights.

Sportsnet LA is a well known mess. Time Warner Cable made a rediculous bid for the Dodgers rights that included a team specific RSN so they chose them instead of reupping with FSN Prime Ticket. Now Time Warner Cable is dead, the management responsible for that deal got a golden parachute, and now it's Charter's problem. To this day no one else has picked up the channel except Charter adding it to their systems after they acquired Time Warner Cable. And since the deal promised a team specific RSN they can't just put those games on the existing Sportsnet channel that has the Lakers games. So that situation is screwed until the Dodgers decide enough is enough and agree to change the terms of their deal with Spectrum.

FS1 isn't he said she said either, there's multiple articles documenting this since up until the week of the launch Fox was demanding the remaining providers renegotiate mid-term if they wanted FS1 or else get a bare bones version of Speed until it was renewal time. (To the point where the schedule for that version of Speed was already being distributed, it was nothing but repeat programming from the Speed library on a loop) Only the providers who had their Fox contract renewed after the channel was announced were going to get it. It wasn't until a few days prior that they caved and honored the pricing set in the existing Speed contracts for the remaining providers, otherwise they would have either lost some of those rights or would have had to put those sports on other channels in the interim.

It's not just these channels, we didn't get the Lakers channels on day one either. And go back further SNY didn't get added until a week into the Mets season, MASN was in time for the first game of the regular season, I'm not 100% sure about Sports Time Ohio, while YES was day 1. They also never carried Cox Sports Telelvision, which had the rights to the then New Orleans Hornets up until 2012. Extend that to NCAA, they still don't have Pac-12, the now defunct Mtn didn't arrive until the CBS renewal several years after they launched, and Longhorn didn't arrive until the Disney/ESPN renewal several years later. So no, DirecTV doesn't always bend backwards for new sports channels.

Not to mention with those minimum distribution clauses in most national rights deals, it will be nearly impossible for a brand new channel to launch with national MLB, NFL, NHL or NBA rights unless they rebrand an existing channel. (i.e. say several years from now Discovery wants to leverage Eurosport to make a worldwide rights deal for a league and rebrand something like Destination America into a sports channel for the US rights)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.