Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mike Bertelson, Mar 24, 2012.
I can't stand a stretched picture.
We really don't know what those 12 channels are for. Plus, they can remove/shuffle some PPV stuff around as well and free up some space.
And are we really 100% sure that DirecTV doesn't have another inactive transponder? From an energy point of view, and the life of satellites, it makes sense to leave transponders "dormant" if they are not used at all, there maybe more sleeping transponders that can be awakened.
The Transponder Awakes. Coming in 3D to a theater near you, Summer 2013.
Now that we see D12 TP9 & TP10, every licensed transponder now shows something.
My belief is that the frequencies for D12 TP9 and TP10 have always been used, they've just not visible to us as to what for. We're also still not clear of the exact purpose, but leaning towards them not being used for regular linear HD until we at least figure out what "VC" means.
Also, with the possible enabling of a 6th slot on each transponder, we may be fine until the next satellite, but we also need to keep aware of the issues with D10 and the possible need to be a little more cautious with bandwidth, though I haven't seen any update on D10 in a while.
Victor Charlie? Various Channels? LOL
Well it's pretty obvious, it means Vancouver Canucks. Each channel will have a different camera angle of their games. :lol:
Already plenty of space for that. There's already 8 hardly-used RSN floater channels (651/651-1, 652/652-1, 657/657-1, 658/658-1, 675/675-1, 680/680-1, 685/685-1, 695/695-1), as well as the former spot of now defunct The Mtn (616/616-1), so no need to give them "new" channels. Just turn one of them into full-time for the national feed. That is of course if D* actually signs a carriage agreement for them.
24 -7 hd channel mav tv,,id.chiller
Ditto - that's my situation as well.
We're taking that possibility seriously? I've seen it mentioned upstream, but I haven't actually taken it seriously. But, as the quote from 1776 goes, "When a gentleman proposes it, attention must be paid."
What would it do to image quality?
Quality should be the same.
As posted in the other thread:"Goldman says the EN8190 represents a 20-25% improvement in bit-rate efficiency over the company's previous MPEG-4 4:2:0 model, enough for a DTH operator to add one more HD channel per satellite transponder. Tandberg was demonstrating the EN8190 delivering six HD channels in 30 Mbps of bandwidth using its statistical multiplexing technology."
Sixto you said n3D went off the air in the other thread? Maybe that slot will turnover to new HD?
I can't watch any of the 3D stuff anyway so that would be fine with me if n3D folded.
There's a message in the guide that says to stay tuned for special events. So it looks like it's gone to a part time channel.
And I can watch 3D do not happy that we lost a 3D channel.
Does more HD mean 1 or possibly more than 1 ?? Hopefully, the latter. Would like to see H2, HLN, TCM, FMC, TV LAND.
It certainly appears to have freed up a slot for now.
Summary of this thread with regards to new HD:
According to SatelliteRacer:
- New HD is coming before the end of the year.
- Some will be pleased, others will wish for different options.
- No mention was made on what type of HD it was (Basic, Premium, Sports)
- New HD is chosen on a variety of factors, taking appeal/demand and finances into account.
- No hints on any channel names.
Findings of Sixto:
- 12 new slots on 2 transponders were made visible.
- Its previous usage nor future usage is unknown.
- It is being speculated that these 12 slots are to be used for new channel additions.
- 2x new Los Angeles RSN before October.
- 1x PAC12 HD channel in August.
- 6 Part-time HD channels for local PAC12 team, per DirecTV CEO.
- EPIX, per DirecTV CEO.
Other Information from this thread:
- All Encore channels will go HD at some point later this year or next year, it is not know whether DirecTV will carry them.
- 3 Encore channels are HD, DirecTV carries 1.
- Al Jazeera is launching two sports, mostly soccer related channels called BeIN. It is not know DirecTV will carry them.
- EUFA cup broadcast rights have changed hands, it is not yet know how this will influence DirecTV's decissions.
- The Olympics will be 95%+ in HD, if not 100%. Olympics will not be used as leverage in any deal, even though some people keep bringing it up.
We may see at least 3 new HD additions before the end of the year, all being sports. Additionally, there appear to be at least 12 slots available to put HD channels in.
Personal opinion to the above: As SatelliteRacer carefully chose to use the words "some may like it, others may wish for different options", I am thinking we are done for Basic HD additions this year, or maybe there will be a single one later, one that not many people here have been requesting, and thus falling into the "i wish for different options" category.
I think we're mostly going to see sports related additions.
Encore is technically a set of basic channels as well, as they come with the choice packages. No clue what will happen there, but I am thinking there is a chance we may see the other 2 HD channels currently live, but not the whole kit and caboodle.
It is very likely that we will see 3 new HD channels within the next few months:
- 2x Los Angeles Regional Sports Network, nationwide for those with Sports Package.
- 1x PAC12 HD channel, nationwide for those with Sports Package.
Personally I don't think we'll see any "basic" type HD until those have been launched.
You might just want to say that the remaining Encore channels will go HD at some point. This year or next year would simply be a guess...
Nice job on the summary.
So if you live in those areas you won't be able to watch your teams? :eek2:
I hope not, but I think you're right.
I just wish there wasn't so much "secrecy" about it.