Directv HD Extra Pack

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by loveshockey, Jan 19, 2017.

1. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    Attempting to remove this pack online as I just got charged after my three free months are up
    and this time I get a "Sorry, this channel could not be removed online. Please call customer service at 1-800-DIRECTV." message.

I hope they haven't put an end to the free cancel and re-add for three months song and dance!!

2. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Do you have a grandfathered package? That will make you need to call, unless things have changed very recently. I just did it all online less than 2 weeks ago. People who have this issue say that you can then re-add it for free online immediately if you do call.

3. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Happened to me also. I called, canceled, then re-added a week or so later with the free for 3 signup.

4. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just say say cancel had extra pack at the voice prompt. You don't have to talk to anyone. Then just add it back for free online

5. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I have Grandfathered Premier and just did the online cancel/renew a couple weeks ago too.....no issues. But with AT&T and everything changing, anything's possible......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I just dropped and added it back online after this thread reminded me to check and see if my 3 free months had run out. No problem doing it all online with the current Preferred XTRA package.

7. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    I have Choice. I just tried to drop HD Extra Pack on-line and it errored out with the ""Sorry, this channel could not be removed online...." message. Called and use voice prompts to cancel. Not as convenient as canceling on-line, but not a big deal either.

8. Bradman

Bradman Mentor

Aug 8, 2011
    Tried to cancel online the other day, got the error. Logged in the next day and was able to do the cancel/reorder thing online just like always.

9. Feb 1, 2017 #9 of 33
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Amazing ....

After all this time DIRECTV and now ATT/DIRECTV still have not fully fixed this old "cancel-then-re-add" loophole trick for the HD Extra pack.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

10. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    If they wanted to fix it, they would have.

makaiguy likes this.
  11. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Absolutely. Since it potentially costs them revenue, you KNOW they'd have fixed it if they wanted to.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But this begs the question ...

Why wouldn't the bean counters at DIRECTV or AT&T/DIRECTV not want to plug such an obvious longtime hole in their revenue stream from the HD Extra pk.?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

13. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Perhaps because they know the package is not viable if people actually had to pay for it. The strategy could be to take in whatever gravy they can from those few who pay for it while keeping open the possibility of actually charging for it if they can add to the package and make it more desirable in the future.

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    And for me, they'd be right. I would never pay $5 for those channels. They still get a couple of bucks from me every now and then when I forget to rinse and repeat.

15. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    And there you go. I usually add it for the summer months since there's less going on as far as tv goes. Every few years I forget to cancel it.

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    They did fix it. After years of getting it for free it's now listed as $4.99 and no free trial.

17. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    If that's the case, they definitely fixed getting more revenue from some of us who are late on the 3 month typical routine, since I will NEVER pay a penny extra for those channels! Less revenue there means across the board programming increases so all subs end up paying more on future price increases to subsidize those channels.

Being someone with Premier package since 1998, it is fricking insane that we, of all tiered customers, would have to pay extra for these channels...and there's only a few of them worthwhile out of all of them. My 90 day is up on June 15th, we'll see where things are at, at that time. You'd think that the small block of HD channels with no SD duplicates would offset the number of SD channels without HD duplicates that DirecTV has!

By the way....it was never a 'loophole' as some here claim. It was a reward or 'perk' for those who went through the trouble...that info from some of the higher ups from the past, not the current "DirecTV".

18. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    My mom really enjoys Hallmark Movies & Mystery, but she says it's not worth the extra $4.99 per month. But asks me to keep checking every now and then to see if it's free.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

19. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    It's in the Entertainment Package

20. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    You're thinking of channel 312. Channel 565 is in the HDEP tier.