DirecTV in Nursing Homes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mccoady, Mar 20, 2019.

1. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    My wife is in a small town nursing home and until the last few days they got their cable from the local tv provider which was affiliated with Cox Cable. They switched to DirecTV and I have no idea how this is all set up. Just as I was leaving the day they were switching over... the maintenance guy came in with either an iPad or some other electronic device to program the Samsung tv.

The remote that was used for local cable continues to work with DirecTV. That remote is a bare bones (has some sort of coating to easily wipe off and clean) with no button for bringing up the Guide which is desperately needed.

The jury's still out whether the maintenance guy knows anything so thought I'd ask you guys. If I take over one of my extra DirecTV remotes will it work with that system? Could it be programmed to do that?

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    there may be no directv box at the tv

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The VA hospital I use for my medical needs has DIRECTV in all the waiting areas but there are no servers or clients located where the TVs are.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Most institutional installs use a headend system, where they provide a limited number of channels that are distributed via QAM like a tiny self contained cable TV system. The tuner on the TV switches channels. They probably don't provide a guide, other than giving you a sheet showing you which channel numbers correspond to what, so if you want to see whats on at a given time you either have to flip thru channels or look at an online guide.

5. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok thanks that’s what I was afraid of.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Is there a Guide channel? I was just in a hotel that uses DIRECTV as described above, but their channel 11 on that system was a Guide channel.

7. powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960 Cool Member

Jun 10, 2008

8. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Well I didn’t know in DirecTV setups for hotels & nursing homes that there could be a dedicated guide channel so I will have to investigate. Everything is still in flux with their package so might take a few days to sort out.

9. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    You have a Comm system.... A headend MDU type setup where there is a room with maybe about 30 receivers in it each is set to a different channel and all plugged into a big switching mechanism that puts the channel of each receiver on a Catv channel..... Barebones cheap and they aren't supposed to be installed anymore.

10. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Thanks maybe that’s why my wife said they were told they could switch channels in and out which I hadn’t heard of DirecTV doing but then I’m not up on the latest.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Here is a good start, including screen shots of the "DIRECTV Residential Experience" interface.
    DIRECTV For Senior Living & Retirement Homes

More on the headend equipment can be found here: COM3000 Solution

The "residential experience" interface is optional. With no box at the TV the answer to your initial question would remain "no". Your home remote won't work.

Without more information from your wife or the maintenance man it is hard to say exactly what they have installed. Have you been able to take another look at the channel lineup or get a channel count?

12. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    No guess we're in a holding pattern everything works at a snails pace at this nursing home. When they first switched from local cable to DirecTV they got the most basic package according to the administrator... she appears to be in her middle twenties and doesn't know a lot.

She told me she didn't know what to get but was ok with a better package if we could all agree on one. She floated around some sheets with different packages and had thought they had agreed on one but have heard nothing since.

I'll report if/when I know more.

13. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok here’s what I found out they have a basic package consisting of 33 channels and are able to change out and substitute for any channels. They are in the process of changing out some channels now for others that clients preferred. Apparently there is no Guide channel so that means using DirecTV’s online guide or their app.

If my wife uses the DirecTV app Guide on her iPad will there be a way for it to only show the channels she gets?

14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    She can add those channels to the favorites on the app and only display them, but it would display them with DirecTV's channel numbers and not the numbers the nursing home is using.

Also unless you have your own residential DirecTV account that she can login with, you won't be able to use the app since installations like this don't come with accounts for individual users.

15. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    So are you saying she could login into the app using our home DirecTV account but that just none of the channel numbers will reflect what the nursing home is using? If so that certainly won’t be much of a guide.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You'd have to put together a document (Word or Excel) mapping the DIRECTV channels to the Nursing home system.

Not a very good solution.