DirecTV in RV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by StangLuver, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sep 1, 2014 #1 of 20
    StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I am currently not a DirecTV subscriber but am considering adding it to my RV. I do not want DirecTV in my home so the options of taking a receiver from my home when I go camping are not an option. Unless...the cheapest option is to have a single receiver DirecTV account for my home simply for taking it in my RV. What are my options here? I only really need a single receiver, would want HD (don't need a DVR but might consider one), and would want to get NFL Sunday Ticket. I would love to not have to pay for the service during the winter when we are not camping...not sure if this is even possible but I have heard people talk about suspending the account.

2. Sep 1, 2014 #2 of 20
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You can only suspend an account for six months once a year. . . so you could pay August - Feb and get football including the SuperBowl.

I'd get Directv to install a Receiver or DVR at home and then duplicate that with a Slimline dish and SWiM-3 LNB from eBay or SolidSignal.

Get good at setting up the dish!

3. Sep 1, 2014 #3 of 20
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Having the system installed in your home would be cheaper and may allow you access to programming that wouldn't otherwise be available on an RV account. From there you buy a tripod and learn the intricacies of pointing a "Slimline" dish (well before you travel).

Camping World or similar can install a mobile DIRECTV system (though not in-motion) on your rig.

Depending on how often you move when on the road, the mobile setup may be worth the extra money but it comes at a pretty hefty price.

Ask around at the campgrounds and see what your fellow campers recommend.

Know also that if you sign up for DIRECTV and suspend for six months out of the year, you'll be engaged in a programming commitment for four years (the clock only counts down while you're actively subscribed).

4. Sep 1, 2014 #4 of 20
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    One specific advantage of an RV account is you get national network feeds (ABC, NBC, CBS) out of either Los Angeles or New York (depending on where you call home). These are referred to as Distant Network Stations, or DNS. If you do not have DNS, then you will only get your local stations when you are within relatively close proximity to your home location (100 or so miles give or take), and elsewhere you will not get the major network stations.

If you take your RV to an area and stay there for a period of time, you can call DirecTV and change your service address so as to get the local stations for that market. But if you are moving more frequently, then DNS is the way to go.

Another option to consider is to get an AM21, which is an off-air tuner that supplements a DirecTV DVR and allows you to get local stations with a regular TV antenna (as long as you are within range of the stations tower).

5. Sep 1, 2014 #5 of 20
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Note that a well respected installer would not install the service in your RV with a residential account. Now if you have installed permanently in your house and then move it to the RV, that is another story. DirecTV® polices states that a DirecTV® system with a residential account can’t be install if the mobile unit has wheels. For this you would need an specify RV account

6. Sep 2, 2014 #6 of 20
    StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    What are the differences between a RV account and the conventional residential account?

7. Sep 2, 2014 #7 of 20
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Ummm, the obvious. Residential is for home use, and RV is for RV use. RV use comes with DNS, residential does not

8. Sep 2, 2014 #8 of 20
    StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The obvious did not escape me...was more interested in the less obvious like the DNS. If DNS is the only difference, not sure it matters whether or not I go with the RV route. I would likely suspend my account between Jan - July and only have it active during the NFL season months because the only real reason I am considering doing this is for NFL Ticket. If I am not camping on a given weekend during the season, I would have the receiver in my house so I could watch a game inside. If I am camping on a weekend during the season, I would bring the receiver (and a Dish) along so I can watch the game while I am camping. Outside of the NFL games...I don't really need DirecTV.

9. Sep 2, 2014 #9 of 20
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That changes things quite a bit. Because originally you said this

10. StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Yeah...guess you are correct...but I would only be using DirecTV inside to watch a game. I have cable TV in my house with lots of TiVo's and would not trade that for DirecTV. The only thing I want DirecTV for is the NFL Ticket.

11. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    You could do it, would be expensive paying for cable, tivo and directv but it's possible. Also if you normally use a dvr than you will be disappointed if you go with a standard receiver, i did this at first for tailgating, not being able a pause or rewind your sports is a sad thing....

12. StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Yeah, thought of that...and will likely go with a DVR for my single receiver. The cost is what it is. I hate having to do it this way but I want to see my football games and this is the cheapest way to do it. I used to have DirecTV for years in my home but I finally got my fill of their ridiculous prices and restrictive hardware so I shifted to Cable and TiVo's. The only time I have regretted that move is during football season. I have kept DirecTV in my vacation rental so I have been able to continue to get my NFL games via NFL Ticket Max and viewing the games via the Internet from my home. It is very expensive to do it that way though (I have 4 TVs/Receivers) so it started me thinking about having just a single receiver for the camper and getting rid of DirecTV at my vacation rental (regular cable TV is included in my HOA dues for free). Costs me about $2000 per year to have DirecTV and NFL Ticket Max at my vacation rental...I think I could save about $1000 off of that to have just a single receiver for my camper if I kept it active year round but I am also considering only keeping it active during football season which should get my annual bill down to around $650 a year.

13. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    LOL! Its funny how people see things differently, the Directv DVR and Genie do soo much more than the Tivo, of course the Tivo's I used were Premere models, the new models may have added some new features. My family wouldn't know what to do without Whole home DVR, Tivo's implementation at the time just wasn't as good, of course that may have changed. But I do see the Tivo's appeal, as many people don't like change and its GUI is very user friendly and simple. To me Tivo is the iphone of the DVR world.... And I actually prefer an iphone just what I am used to i guess... but my wifes android sure does a lot more.

14. StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Yeah, times have changed...:). Todays TiVo's with their mini's make having multiple TV's MUCH more cost effective than DirecTV and their Genie. And TiVo's are open for things like copying content off and streaming personally owned content via your in-home network. I only pay cable for 1 drop into my house to my Roamio that can record 6 things at one time. Then I bought all of my Mini's with lifetime subscription so no reoccurring cost to TiVo and not reoccurring jack fee to the cable company. And I own the equipment and am free to resell it on eBay if I want...recouping most of my cost. This setup to me is a DirecTV killer because you cannot duplicate it with their Genie/Mini setup.

15. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    I understand your point of view, though the idea of actually owning the dvr doesn't appeal to me much.. as you pointed out, it will be obsolete in a few years anyways. All my old directv leased DVR'S (hr20, hr22) i was allowed to keep anyways when upgrading as they are obsolete. .. so I was able to sell one Craigslist anyways, took the 500 HDD out of the other. They are even letting customers keep the latest HR24-100 DVR'S now. All my equipment was free no up front cost, even the genie(just got it a few months ago).

I totally a agree with you though about the genie minis, should get a reduced price at least but there is absolutely none. That's why I have none, My 1 genie and 4 HD DVR'S are just as cheap and I get 13 tuners for the same price as a genie and 4 minis... still share one massive playlist.
    I haven't had a chance to use a Roamio.... will have to find someone that has one, we had Tivo for many years back in the day, everytime i use one it brings back memories of my dad recording the news to watch later..lol... :)

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Since you used to have Directv at home, presumably you still have the dish? If you get a RV account for Directv there's nothing stopping you from bringing that receiver into your house and hooking it up to your dish if you're home some weekend instead of out and about with your DVR. Sounds like that would be the easier solution, unless RV accounts are more expensive than residential for some reason.

17. StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Yes I do (still have the Dish) and that is a perspective I have not thought of yet...thanks.

18. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    RV account could be a few dollars a month more, cost for the DNS feeds. But you don't have to have them (most people want them though).

19. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    If you do go RV account I would try and get DNS that way if a game is nationally televised(big games usually are) on one of the BIG 4 you could still watch it anywhere without an antenna.

20. StangLuver

StangLuver New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Another great point I had not thought of