Directv in Two Homes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kenx2, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenx2

Kenx2 New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Hi;

As a result of work, I now have two homes, one east coast where I already have Directv and the new second home on the west coast. Can I buy a new Directv HD receiver (Maybe Directivo HD) for the new place with a dish then set it up as a another receiver on my existing account?

I do not mind having the local east coast channels while viewing on the west coast if that is the case.

I do not want to set up a whole new account and pay twice for the service I will use only one at a time. Will this work?

Thank you,
    Ken

2. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    hey ken, first of all welcome to Dbs, second, I dont think you are going to get the east coast channels on teh west coast and vice versa, directv uses spotbeams, which means, here in ohio I wont be in the same "beam" as lets say montana, your best bet, is to let them know when you are going to be at which house, and they can then activate your reciever to get the proper channels, they have no problem with this, as we have property in WV (same spot beam) and we tell them when we are down there and we get the wv locals turned on, I was down there 7 hours one time, and they had no problem swtiching it around--hope this helps any other questions let us know!

3. digitalbroadcast

digitalbroadcast AllStar

Sep 11, 2004
    You have to have 2 accounts. If not, you're violating the Customer Agreement and are subject to disconnection. Also, having local channels from the east coast on the west coast without a waiver (if they're not on the spot beam) is against the law.

The proper alternative: Set up two accounts, and suspend one or the other while you're going to be away from it. You can suspend an account at any time without accruing charges for up to 9 months at a time.

4. lee120

lee120 Legend

Dec 2, 2002
    how is directv going to know? what they don't know don't harm them and to the op yes you can do that but do not plug the unit in to the phone line!!!

5. Kenx2

Kenx2 New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I will end up having Directivo at both locations so I would hate to turn off the signal at one or the other.

I don't care about local channels out west as I plan on getting HDef. Will I receive everything other than local channels while out west?

I get the point about the user agreement, morally I do not see this as wrong as I will not steal the service, I will pay the additional box fee. I would be willing to pay a small extra fee for the second location plus a local channel fee as they are different from what I get back east. I will also buy the equipment at full price as it is not new service.

My other option is going with cable out west... I don't have to lay out the cash for equipment, I rent the box, the monthly rates are a little cheaper, they even provide an HD PVR if I choose. I would prefer to stay with Directv, they have been good business relationship.

6. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    huh??? you cant take a reciever you own, to two houses you own, and let them know that I am going to be here for the weekend, pick up your reciever and go, we do it all the time, and guess what we dont violate anything, now, if he had two houses and was renting out to people at the other house, and recievers were both active then yes that would be illeagal. Dont open up two accounts, just take your tivo with you, and activate it for whatever addy. you are going to be at. Its not Illeagal, I wouldnt do it if it was. also when I say let them know what house you are going to be at, that will turn on the locals for that area.

7. digitalbroadcast

digitalbroadcast AllStar

Sep 11, 2004
    To clarify: You can have 2 locations on one account, but they cannot be active at the same time. To quote directly from DirecTV's CSR guide, "Receivers for primary home and second home should not be active at the same time. If customers want them active at the same time, set up a separate account for the second home."

So, yes, you're right. But, technically, what he was saying is that he wanted to have his Tivo running at his other house, while he was using service at the other location, which is what I was getting at.

8. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Of course he can only watch TV at his current location, so only one receiver will be in use at a time. He could of course record movies on the Tivo west coast while on the east coast and then watch them when he gets there. But these would simply be movies he would have watched on the east coast if he hadn't had to go out of town.

In other words, go for it Ken. Pay an additional receiver fee and don't hook it up to a phone line. Enjoy.

9. Kenx2

Kenx2 New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Hey Thanks!

On the phone line issue, I suspect that a HD Directivo would be a bad idea as it connects to a phone line for the Tivo data?

10. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Actually, once you make an initial call to establish the Tivo service on the box and load the current software, you don't need a phone line anymore (except if you want to activate future software updates). The Tivo service and guide data function independently of the phone line.

You will of course have a nag screen periodically that encourages you to call-in, but it can be cleared without problem.

11. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    gotcha now, alittle slow on the uptake sometimes, went through and reread, I was cornfused there for a second I thought you were saying its illeagel to take recievers to your vacation home and such....thanks DB for clearing it up!

James (stuart628)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.