1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV Inc., Reaches Agreements with State Attorneys General

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ndole, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P7240028

What is this agreement about?
    The specific issues identified in the Attorneys General agreements address DIRECTV's advertising and promotions, customer communications, service and agreements.
    We are pleased that more than 99 percent of our customers are extremely happy with DIRECTV's service. But in a business where we serve more than 19 million customers and take more than 120 million phone calls a year, we recognize that we don't get it right every single time. We are moving forward with a continued dedication to delivering exceptional customer service as we strive to revolutionize home entertainment across all platforms.

How did it come about?
    DIRECTV was contacted by a few states with some issues they wanted to address. We then welcomed the participation of as many states as possible to ensure that all of our customers are treated the same way. We were happy to formalize these improvements

What does this mean for me?
    You won't notice much of a change since DIRECTV was already in the process of implementing the majority of these improvements when contacted by some of the states. As a national company we were happy to formalize these improvements in agreement with Attorneys General across all 50 states and D.C. We will, of course, continue to monitor the overall customer experience to ensure that we are serving the customer with best-in-class products and service.

Will this change DIRECTV's advertising and promotions?
    Advertising and promotions will include more prominent placement of information pertaining to specific offer details. Benefits and obligations will be made even clearer than they were previously.

If I have an unresolved issue along these lines what can I do?
    Customers can forward any issues to their local state Attorneys General office who will in turn process them in association with DIRECTV for resolution.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Dec. 14, 2010 — DIRECTV, Inc., announced today that it has reached agreements with state Attorneys General in all 50 states regarding the company's advertising, customer service, and third-party retailer policies for its U.S.-based residential operations.
    "DIRECTV has worked hand-in-hand with the Attorneys General to formalize many of the customer improvements we have made over the past few years and are pleased to have come to this agreement," said Mike White, chairman, president and CEO of DIRECTV. "DIRECTV is committed to always operating with the highest standards of integrity and will move forward with continued dedication to providing the best video experience possible for our customers."
    The agreements formalize many of the improved advertising, customer service, and third-party retailer policies and practices DIRECTV had already implemented to better inform and serve its customers.
    For more information about the settlement go to www.directv.com/ag.

Media Inquiries: 1-855-773-4732

2. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Would that government officials would look out for people that pay their bills and read their contracts, rather than extort "payments" from companies that will be passed on to those people.

3. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    Are you out of your mind? That would mean people would have to start being responsible for their own actions.:lol:

There is no doubt companies use some small print in their advertising & contracting, but the fact is it is in print. Anyone with the reading comprehension of a 12 year old ought to be able to avoid the type of problems in this suit. There is ample proof of that when 99+% of the people somehow understand what they are getting into, and are not duped.

4. ivoaraujo

ivoaraujo Legend

Aug 27, 2007
  5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    There's a whole lotta truth in what you said there.

Unfortunately, today's society seems to have erased the word "accountability" from their dictionary.

6. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    Another case of being absolutely wrong. In this case it was demonstrated many times that the customer was never informed and had no reasonable method to know what DirecTV was doing. It's a very simple case of DirecTV using deceptive and fraudulent business practices. Even when presented with overwhelming evidence on a case-by-case method DirecTV regularly and repeatedly refused to follow the law.

I hope you can get this clear in your mind that it was DirecTV that violated the law, not the consumer.

BTW, you probably wrote your above message using a computer and thus have agreed to maybe a hundred different license agreements. I doubt you have the first clue as to what they say or what you have agreed upon. You don't know what rights you have "signed away" when you really didn't sign anything, but according to you everyone should know. You probably don't know what license you agree upon when you buy a DVD and open box. You probably don't know what license you agree to when you use your cell phone (about 26 agreements per phone on average). So unlike your comment above I doubt you know even 1% about the license agreements you've already consented to. The only good thing about most of those license agreements is that they didn't have hidden fees and contract extensions like DirecTV did.

This is just the first round. There are many other issues facing DirecTV that will cost much more that are yet to be settled.

Hopefully this will open some eyes at DirecTV and they will decide to change their ways and simply be honest with customers and potential customers.

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    This now falls into the "water over the dam" category...even the AG's would take that position.

Lessons learned and paid for.

Now other providers will need to address their own comparable situations.

8. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    :nono:Forget reading or understanding what is in the small print, DirecTV will ASK you to confirm your choice/decision about every change made to an account or creation of one. Be it an upgrade or a new order, on the phone or off the web page, you will be asked to confirm your choice after it is explained to you as if you were a 2 year old. So yes, it really is about accountability, the "I did'nt know" effect is just a cop out 1% tries to use on the other 99%

9. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002

I'd love to see Time Warner meeting the same standards DirecTV is expected to adhere to. Trying to get the cost for service after the promotional period is over is just about impossible in the Raleigh area.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They sure do. I added a HR to our out of contract account a few months ago knowing it would start a new 24 months...No biggie, we're staying. The activation CSR told me at least 5 times that it would start a new 24 months. I was polite & agreed each time.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    How true...my brother reads stuff in his local paper in another state on that topic with TWC from time to time...

Dish also will have its hands full when their turn comes up.

12. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    From another web discussion:
    Making this a more public policy seems significant to me. Wonder if it will affect Protection Plan sales for subscribers who don't still own some equipment?

13. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Does this mean they will actually fix the "system glitch" that "accidently" extended contracts when defective equipment was replaced and went on for years.

14. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    You obviously didn't look at the cases or you would know you are in error.

15. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I am familiar w/ the cases, but my response is to the generalization of the lack in accountability by a select few not the advertising practices of D*

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The local (Seattle) media is playing this up (as indicated by the links in post 2 of this thread). This is a VERY Comcast friendly area and I would not expect media here to have anything nice to say about any satellite service.

As to the entire discussion regarding consumer versus business, the consumer is almost always at the disadvantage. You either accept the terms specified by the business, or you choose not to do business with them. Business (in general) will take advantage of this to the greatest extent they are able to. DirecTV is certainly no more "guilty" of this than any other business. True also is that most consumers make no effort to read or understand the terms they agree to, and only complain after the fact if they get charged in accordance with that agreement.

Finally, I don't really think it is always altruistic consumer protection that causes some states/agencies to pursue cases like this. There is certainly political benefit for the attorney's general who succeed in a case like this.

17. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Ain't that the truth.

Stupid isn't an excuse for anything.

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  19. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    I see that alot of people on this thread feel sorry for poor old DTV. DTV got caught with there hand in the cookie jar ripping people off. I just wish the fine had been a lot lot more. Say around $ 500 million. DTV has been tricking and being dishonest with there customers for years. Good for the Washington State AG's office. Now perhaps some of these companies operating with this so called fine print will own up and make it LARGE enough for the piblic to read. Unsavory practices seem to catch to some of the companies some of the time.