1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Installers; What Form Of Bribery Will Make You Try More Difficult LOS Jobs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JayPSU, Sep 28, 2010.

1. JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    So tomorrow the Directv installers are coming out to HOPEFULLY install Directv service here. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a Philadelphia sports fan living in Columbus, Ohio, I wouldn't bother with Directv. BUT.... So anyway, in this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184447 I detailed my LOS issues. I have heard that Directv installers don't like to do borderline jobs because they are afraid of not getting paid. So, what would you need from a customer to TRY getting LOS on a borderline case? A smiling face, a check, promising you won't bother them if you have intermittent signal issues on bad weather days/windy days? What does it take?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Hire a local dealer that does installs rather than using D*. Volume of installs is more important than an individual install to D*.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Prepare yourself to show them it will work. As mentioned in your other thread, if you have a smart phone and downloaded the app from dishpointer, that shows the SAT location from your location, "if you do have a clear LOS" it should help convince them. If you don't, then there isn't any form of a bribe that will help.

4. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Don't forget that if you lose LOS within 2 years the company that did the install gets a huge back charge.

DTV asks for 10 years of line of site. Really we can only guarantee 2.

Any job without 10 degrees of clearance is an automatic QC failure.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    As the other folks have pointed out, DirecTV's HSP techs work in a brutal system that heaps all the responsibility on them for very little reward. It's very easy to do 4-5 hours of work and install $40+ of materials and then not be able to complete a job, or get backcharged for the whole thing (and more) via the QC process. Techs quickly learn that if LOS isn't a certainty, then it's best to leave as quickly as possible and cut your losses.

As recommended, you need a local dealer who can do a job that works but wouldn't pass an internal QC. That's most likely your best avenue of success.

But keep in mind too that these rules are designed to protect the customer. What do you plan to do if you do get installed and those trees cut off half your channels next spring? If the answer is "cancel", then you have the answer why folks don't want to do your install. A retailer will be charged back if you cancel within a year.

Bottom line: satellite isn't for everyone. If you really want it, your best bet is to address the trees.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Poulan makes a nice chainsaw. :)

7. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    That's the decision too many folks are not willing to make. Which do you want more, your trees? or Directv?

Installers didn't plant those trees there, it's not their fault that you don't have adequate los. And furthermore, it's not their responsibility to address them.

8. JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    Unfortunately the trees in question are on my neighbor's property, so it doesn't really matter. I honestly believe that if the installer puts the dish on the front, left, corner part of my roof, it will be in a position where it's close to clearing the tree line, and definitely between the tree gap. Is it possible for an installer to do a pole mount on the roof? If so, it can easily clear the tree line.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Use this web site: http://www.satellite-calculations.com/SUNcalc/SUNcalc.htm

Plug in your location, and the location of the 3 Directv satellites 99,101,103. Calculate each one, write down the time it gives you, go out on the date(s) it gives you (should be this weekend), and see if you have sunshine where you want to put the dish. The sun will be directly behind the satellites starting this weekend (depending on latitude).

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Wishing does not make it so!

However...if you think a pole mount on the roof will work there is a good chance, plane geometry being what it is, that a pole mount in the back yard will also work.

As others have pointed out, you are not going to plead an HSP tech into working all day for FREE and then experiencing other back charges for not being as productive is some wonk would like. These guys are going to politely disengage and hit the road.

Know that the Directv demonstration for a functional dish is to drop or shake one leaf in front of the LOS and see the signal go away. The big handshake and hearty thank you will not get the signal working. Start out with..."I would like to buy one of your off duty work hours to come here and do a site survey. I would like to spend sixty dollars to get an evaluation of this property and suggestions where a dish will work."

Or you could just schedule an installation and see what happens.

Joe

11. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    the work order get's me to your house with my compass and inclo.

if it's questionable, 50 get's me up a ladder with an 18" dish, my meter, and a couple lags, if it doesn't work, you get to deal with the mast i leave behind.

If it goes in, you get your 50 back.

12. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009
    That's the worst idea ever. For you and the customer.

As a HSP, and as it's been said before, if it's questionable I won't do it. It's not worth me getting written up and or fired so you can watch football.

Having said that, I agree with joe, find a tech and see if you can persuade him to help you "off the clock". Or see if you can find an independent who would be willing to do it.

13. JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    OF course...12:35pm and haven't heard a thing from an installer. My window was 8:00am - 12:00pm.

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The day is young,

At some point.....long before dark...you want to call and reschedule. Installations are hard enough without having to guess where the trees are after dark. If a tech does show up at least have him take a look at a the Line of Sight (LOS) situation.

If you reschedule someone else could show up on the new date. Or a supervisor could show up to confirm the No Line of Sight (NLOS).

Report how it goes,

Joe

15. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Hate hearing that. It's a shame that techs are too lazy to make a simple phone call.

I'm a tech and you have at the most 4 jobs per time window. Take 10 minutes to call everyone ahead of time and let them know what number in line they are. It's impossible to give a very good eta, but if you leave the customer your number they can call you for an update. Doesn't bother me one bit.

30 minutes after the timeslot and still heard nothing, I would call D* and get an on time guarantee credit. Goes against the tech but he's not doing what he's supposed to be doing.

16. JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    At this point I may just go with Dish Network. I mean it was already iffy whether I could get LOS with Directv, I can still get NHL CI with Dish, and for baseball I can just stay with MLB.tv. NFL ST is getting wayyyy too expensive so after this "free" year I'd have a tough time convincing the wife it's worth it. Dish may be the easier way to go.

17. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    If you can't get it with D* you won't with Dish. Their birds are lower in the sky.

About 5 degrees lower.

18. JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    I meant with with their eastern arc sats. Those are located to the left of all of my closest trees, and slightly higher in the sky (2 1/2 dgrees higher).

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That could do it,

Take a look at Dishpointer.com. The DISH eastern arc is at 61 degrees west longitude......about forty degrees to the left of the Directv 101......never knew the elevations but they are EZ to find.

Examine the money and channel guide. If the channel guide or programming pack contents suits you you could be set.

DISH pulls the same **** with their techs. DISH cable runs are compatible with Directv (and cable) so shop around.

Good luck,

Joe

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    One of the reasons I do not do MASTEC (or Directv installs) is a day I received eleven AM jobs at around 11:00AM. My response was...all these are over one hour away and even if I can contact all these people I will be late for all of them. Jobs rejected, do them yourself.

I was told to do my best and the office would fix all. I was back charged for each one because I failed to give anyone an exact ETA. When I pointed out that an ESTIMATED time of arrival is not an exact time I was told...It is what it is!

On Time Guarantee...crap!

Joe