DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV Internet + TV Service

3K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  peds48 
#1 ·
Is there any discussion on DBSTalk about the DirecTV internet service? My DSL line is giving me fits, and I think it may be time to think about satellite internet. Where would I find this discussion?

Thanks!

Dave

#2 ·
IMHO, satellite internet service should only be a choice if you have no other options. a 10 gig cap is enough for me not to even think about considering satellite internet service.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 ·
peds48 said:
IMHO, satellite internet service should only be a choice if you have no other options. a 10 gig cap is enough for me not to even think about considering satellite internet service.

25 GB either, I use around 150 GB per month in our house. Satellite internet is a rip off. I feel bad for customers that have no choice.

#4 ·
mrdbdigital said:
Is there any discussion on DBSTalk about the DirecTV internet service? My DSL line is giving me fits, and I think it may be time to think about satellite internet. Where would I find this discussion?

Thanks!

Dave
I suggest you call your DSL provider before you regret your move to satellite. :up:

#5 ·
I suggest you call your DSL provider before you regret your move to satellite. :up:

I would first move to another neighborhood if necessary where better internet services are available. Yes, satellite internet service is that bad.

Reactions: damondlt
#6 ·
But it does work. If you just need it for browsing or checking emails and you have no other option, it's really not bad. 12 megs down is actually better than what many DSL customers are getting.

#10 ·
Is there 3G or 4G wireless service available in your area? 4G is actually pretty good for most people's needs, and 3G might even be acceptable. That would certainly be better than satellite internet. I just took a look around the various forums here and did not see anything specific to that topic, and a quick search did not turn up anything either. You can look at www.hughesnet.com for information specific to satellite internet.

#11 ·
But it does work. If you just need it for browsing or checking emails and you have no other option, it's really not bad. 12 megs down is actually better than what many DSL customers are getting.

But why be limited? I want to be able to use the "interwebs" to its full potential

#14 ·
Satellite internet has come a long way, yeah there are caps but you can get as many as 40GB with Hughesnet. 15 down and 2 up is not that bad and the latency has improved greatly. Some of you may be talking of the days of old Hughesnet and old Wildblue. Majority of people do not use 100 GB monthly I have read somewhere that the average household uses between 15-18 GB monthly.

#16 ·
west99999 said:
Satellite internet has come a long way, yeah there are caps but you can get as many as 40GB with Hughesnet. 15 down and 2 up is not that bad and the latency has improved greatly. Some of you may be talking of the days of old Hughesnet and old Wildblue. Majority of people do not use 100 GB monthly I have read somewhere that the average household uses between 15-18 GB monthly.
If you have On Demand with Directv, you will burn through 40 GB per month easy if your not careful. Our kids stream Netflix once or twice a week, and on demand 2 or 3 times a week. 40 GB is not much. We have a 250 GB cap with our cable provider. This was my usage since January. And I don't do much!

History

Downstream Total
  • June, 2013 46.254 GB
  • May, 2013 40.527 GB
  • April, 2013 24.165 GB
  • March, 2013 130.991 GB
  • February, 2013 151.306 GB
  • January, 2013 91.559 GB

#17 ·
peds48 said:
But why be limited? I want to be able to use the "interwebs" to its full potential
I agree 100%. It's a trend these days to charge for data and I can only imagine, with satelite internet, it's based on the bandwidth. Otherwise they may try to be more competitive. Exede also charges $9.99/mo for their modem and it's not even a modem/router combo, so you still need a wifi router if you want the capabilities.

#18 ·
Of which Wildblue is not too bad considering they give you unlimited nights b/w 12-5am

there is a reason why the chose those time frames, because most folks are sleeping at that time. lol

#19 ·
Nobody wants to be limited but in some areas, sat. internet is the only option as cable/dsl has not came yet.

and exactly what I said, satellite internet is only good for those who have no other options

#21 ·

according to the link below, the US uses an average of 52GB per month, and this number keeps rising as more cloud services and streaming service becomes available

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/07/report-u-s-internet-data-usage-up-120-percent/

#22 ·
#23 ·
Since we are limited when we are "on the go" (cellphones), My home internet is the least place I want to feel limited as well

#24 ·
peds48 said:
Since we are limited when we are "on the go" (cellphones), My home internet is the least place I want to feel limited as well
Well if I'm going to pay $120 a month for satellite internet, they sure as hell are not going to tell me I'm only aloud 40GB. :rolling:
Satellite internet is the biggest racket out there in the communications world.

$130 for 25GB
http://www.wildblue.com/options/availability-results?availabilityZip=18445

#25 ·
Their overhead(per customer) is much higher than DSL/cable providers, so it's no surprise they cost more. Not to mention marketing to customers with no other option.

#26 ·
. Not to mention marketing to customers with no other option.

Not sure what kind of marketing you are referring to. Here in NY we have a set of islands that used to be served by Verizon DSL until Sandy destroyed their infrastructure there, they have decided to "let it go" and provide a wireless option instead for phone and internet. HugesNet have made a killing over there with their advertisements "all over the place" (ferry, radio, brochures, posters) and exede has done nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.