1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV iOS app and mirroring (doesn’t work)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Oct 25, 2018.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I am trying to catch up on three seasons of a show that has been running on the Audience channel. For some strange reason, some of the on-demand episodes can be downloaded to DVR, and others can only be viewed using the DirecTV app on my iPad. When I started viewing one of the episodes only available on the iPad, I invoked screen mirroring through my AppleTV 4K in order to view the show on the TV display. Almost immediately, while displaying “Optimizing Video quality”, the DTV app crashed.

I tried several things, including deleting and re-downloading the DTV app, and trying a different on-demand program, but every time I tried to use screen mirroring, the app crashed.

Is this a known issue that others have experienced?

2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Darn, am I the only one (stupid enough) to be using the DTV iPad app? When I use the app, I constantly get the "How are you liking the app?" pop-up, and I always reply that it is a big, steaming POS. Lot of good that is doing...

3. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    The DirecTV (satellite) app is coded specifically to block airplay, casting, or HDMI output from mobile devices.

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I guess that would explain it. Too bad that the DTV support rep I talked to couldn’t explain it so clearly. I wonder why they do this? It is not a DRM issue.

5. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    They want you to lease another receiver. $7 per month x millions of second and third TV's x millions of customers = lots of money.

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    No, you are mistaken. The shows I was trying to watch are only available on the iPad app. Another DVR would no be the answer.

7. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Furthermore, if DTV’s intent is to not allow Airplay, why doesn’t the app simply issue a pop-up saying “Airplay is not allowed on the DTV app”? Simply crashing the app is pretty rude, although consistent with the overall quality of DTV programming.

8. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Mobile application development is definitely not one of the brighter points of today’s ATT/DirecTV.

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    They are all DirecTV programs and so you would be liable for the additional TV programming charge.

10. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    What are you talking about? Additional charges for what? I am talking about using AirPlay to display an episode of a program that I am licensed to be viewing. On the same TV for which I am already incurring a monthly charge. ???

11. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The phone does not know you are already paying a monthly charge for the TV. As far as the DirecTV app is concerned, you are connecting your phone via streaming to a TV and that is not allowed.

12. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Well, you are entitled to your opinion, and I appreciate you expressing it. But I still am not happy that DTV has restricted downloading to the DVR selective episodes of the program I am entitled to view, making them only available on the iOS device, and forbidding casting it to the display. As a paying DTV customer, they should not be concerned that I might be streaming to a device not on my paid device list. If your explanation is the reason why AirPlay doesn’t work, that is petty of DTV.

13. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    None of us like this limitation. But DirecTV doesn't appear to have any plans to change this.

14. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I understand AirPlay is not available, and I agree that this is unlikely to change. But what I cannot understand is why certain episodes of the show I am trying to watch, "You Me Her", seasons 1-3 on Audience network, are only available for viewing on the DTV app. Here is the episode list, and where they can be viewed. Can anyone make any sense why it seems like they have cherry-picked some episodes to be viewable on DVR, and some only on the app? I don't see any reason or logic. Perhaps my mistake is assuming there is logic in anything DTV does.

Episodes.PNG

15. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Where are you looking for these episodes on your DVR? I see every episode available on 1239 Audience on Demand, just scroll down to "You Me Her" and all 10 episodes for each season are listed under "S1", "S2" and "S3"

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  16. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I am selecting “Info” on one of the episodes I already have recorded, and then selecting “All Seasons”, which shows S1, S2, and S3. When I open S2, it only shows episodes 8,9, and 10 available for recording. When I go to channel 1239, I see all ten episodes. WTF is wrong here? Why would my approach not produce the same results? I hate to have to be a detective to find on-demand programming.

But thanks for suggesting this approach, which I will remember to try next time. Is there a place to see a listing of all the on-demand channels?

Edit: Never mind, found a complete list: List of DirecTV channels (United States)

17. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    That list isn't up to date and has some other errors. If you want a seperate up to date list check the On Demand Channels in the Hybrid tab in Gary's transponder maps which is updated weekly, or press the guide button on your remote and browse the 1000s

18. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Noted. But that still doesn't explain why the "All Seasons" approach does not result in the same list of shows. Shouldn't it?

19. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I would say that you are only streaming to your phone, and then using an auxiliary monitor (via AirPlay), hardly any type of license violation (will they prevent the HDMI adapter from working as well, which is logically the same thing?). I’ve only just started to use the iOS App and have much to learn about it, too bad DTV has such primitive view of streaming technology.

It might be worth complaining to Apple that DTV is defeating a valued feature of iOS, they might have a little more sway in convincing them to change.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    JerryMeeker likes this.
  20. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Thank you for expressing an opinion that matches mine. As you may have seen in a previous post, had I looked directly in the On-Demand channel I would have found the content I was looking for, and would never have had to resort to using the iPad and AirPlay. Regardless, denying using AirPlay is a heavy-handed decision by DTV, and certainly not customer-friendly. I could report this to Apple, but not sure if they would be receptive.

bmcleod likes this.