1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV is killing me...how do I stay?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Dave in Atlanta, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Dave in Atlanta

Dave in Atlanta Cool Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Last night I decided to price out a switch to Dish...no issues with DirecTV service or PQ, but felt the price was high, and would like a new HD DVR after three years and some jiterring issues that come and go...So:

My current service is TOTAL CHOICE (a grandfathered package) with one HD DVR (HR20-700) and an SD receiver for a room with a TV I seldom use. For this, DirecTV bills me $63 per month. Contract is fulfilled.

1) Called Dish and asked for a package comparable to my current one...

They offered America's Top 200 w/ HD service - said it would have @ 70 more channels than my current package (I don't want to play the channel numbers game - I think both teams are cheating..but Top 200 had some "must haves" that Top 120 did not) Also 3 months of Premiums, but I don't care about HBO and Showtime.

The equipment for the HD TV would be a 722 DVR with 80 hours of HD capacity. No charge for equipment or install

$53 / month for the first year, $69 / month for the second
    24 month cost = $1476

2) Called DirecTV and asked to cancel...got a rep, and explained that I though it was time to leave in order to save money. My needs were 1) lower monthly cost, and 2) new HD DVR

She offered: pretty much nothing, although she did call me a "loyal customer".

She explained that I was currently getting credits of $17 total that would expire in July, bringing my monthly cost to $80. Nothing could be done there, because I was "still under a promotion".

She did offer an upgrade for my HD DVR, because I was a loyal customer...I could upgrade at no fee or install cost, with a new 24 month commitment. But here's the kicker: She could not tell me what DVR I would receive, except that it would be "at least an HR20"...so I could sign a 2 year commitment and get the same 3 year old DVR model I have now.

That was the "loyal customer" offer to keep me from switching to Dish. Same monthly cost, going up in three months, and a new (same) DVR.

I ran the numbers, and pointed out that the monthly "regular" cost for staying 24 months was $11 per month higher than Dish (after credits expire). Her only answer was that DirecTV was higher quality and counted channels more accurately.

Total 24 month cost = $2058, or nearly $600 higher.

DirecTV rep said that was her best offer, and nothing better was available. She agreed that it was significantly more expensive than switching to Dish, but that DirecTV was higher quality and more "real" channels.

My issue: Channel counting is a game, and everybody plays it. Monthly cost should be comparable, IMHO, not 21% higher for a "loyal customer".

Finally, my question: I DON'T WANT TO SWITCH. Any suggestions for a strategy to get DirecTV to meet the offer from Dish?

2. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    In the end, you have to choose what service will provide you the entertainment you want at the price you are willing to pay. D* does not compress their signals as much as Dish. D* is getting ready to launch more than 30 new HD channels. Channel counting is useless, as long as a service provider has the channels you want. Talk to Retention Dept. But in the end, make your choice.

3. jcrandall

jcrandall Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    You're good till July at $63/mo. Just wait till it goes up to $80 then call them and see what they will do. Dish will still be there if they won't help youout.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    dish tell you whether you wil be able to get everything with 1 dish or would it need multiple dishes? can't remember how they are setup now.
    might want to keep that in mind for future too. all directv's stuff can be had with the 1 dish.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why do you want to get rid of your HR20-700? Many people prefer it.

6. Dave in Atlanta

Jan 10, 2007
    My HR20-700 is showing signs of impending disk doom...I think. Get picture and sound interruption for 10 - 20 seconds on an intermittent basis. Never live, only when watching recorded shows. Won't happen for two or three days, then will happen several times in an evening. I'm not a technician, but that sounds like a drive losing its will to live.

I have no opinion about this 3 year old model versus newer ones. Never paid attention.

7. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    Buying a UPS when the unit is first delivered is the cheapest way to avoid disk failure...

8. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Unless you wait to get an HR24 you'll be "down-graded" if you get an HR21/22/23.

If you really want I'll trade you one of my HR22s for your HR20! :D

9. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Unless the disk actually dies you have a great machine. I love my HR20-700 and wouldn't trade it for any other model. Remember that it's the only DirecTV HD DVR with built-in OTA tuner. If you record OTA locals then it saves you from having to buy an AM21, and one less unit in the entertainment center.

10. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Three things to bear in mind. First, check your line of site to the DISH birds. I was with DISH for 10 years, and when they introduced their HD, I had to have a second dish on my deck to get all of my HD channels.

Secondly, in my experience, DISH signal loss during a heavy storm occurs more often than with my DirecTV system, which almost never loses the signal.

Thirdly, DirecTV HD is less compressed and therefore nicer to look at than DISH HD.

If money is tight and the main reason for the change, I understand your decision. Technically though, I think DirecTV is the better deal...especially once D12 is up and running. :)

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Not being a Dish sub I really don't know about this other than what I read, but does Dish's quote include all the charges you will be paying? Seem to remember that if you run off that 722 to feed your SD TV, they charge something extra for that? Also, does their quote also include any HD charge (I would hope so, since that's what your conversation entailed).

One thing you might try. Do a menu reset and when the screen reads "Running Receiver Self Check" hit 'Select' and run the disk check. See if it shows any problems with the disk.

12. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Not arguing on behalf of Dish here but: for metro Atlanta you can have either of 2 single dish setups: a 1000.2 pointed at 110/119/129, or a 1000.4 pointed at 61.5/72.7/77.

I believe Dish charges 17/mo receiver fee a "duo" unit such as the 722, whether or not you have a TV2 hooked up to it. UNLESS it is the primary receiver on the account in which case it is included in the base fee. (in other words the one highest end receiver on an account is included in the base rate, all others get charged monthly depending on the type of receiver). Also, as pointed out make sure it include the monthly HD fee in the quote.

The DirecTV "offer" to "upgrade" your HR20 to simply another randomly chosen HR2x model and extend your contract is absurd. If your unit indeed fails, you are supposed to be able to get another one for like $19.99 and no contract extension. It is a leased unti after all. Protection plan is not required to replace faulty leased units, and with no contract extension either.

13. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Dish tends to be a few bucks cheaper if you have 1 receiver. But as soon as I add in any extra receivers Dish is a lot more for me.

The only exception being the HD only packages.

15. Bstacey

Bstacey Cool Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Could you cancel in June and then just sign up as a new customer?

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No.

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think the OP misunderstood the person he was talking to. They were most likely offering him an additional HD-DVR that he could use to replace his standard def receiver that he has now. That would give him 2 HD-DVRs on his account. This would require a new 2 year agreement though.

If his HR20 is having problems they will replace it for free if he has the protection plan. Otherwise he just needs to pay the $20 shipping fee. It will not need a new 2 year agreement.

As the others have said they cannot tell you what model DVR you get, unless you tell them that you use the OTA tuner. I guess there is now an option to check that OTA is being used and it allows them to make sure to send you an HR20.

18. Dave in Atlanta

Jan 10, 2007
    I took great pains to understand the rep accurately. I could ask for a tech call on my current DVR, which, given its intermittent problem, isn't likely to be worth the money, or simply re-up for two more years and get a new machine, which will possibly be the same as my old machine. And that's what she called an upgrade. No second DVR involved.

19. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Call back and try again. You may get a better offer.

20. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama