Directv Locals Question?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jlvideo, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlvideo

jlvideo AllStar

Apr 6, 2002
    I was wondering as i've following and reading some of your comments/questions on locals. And my question is for those who don't or can't get locals maybe ever.

Can a person switch directv receivers withsome one else or uses someone else's to get their locals without having the phone line plugged in? I have a some friends/relatives in mpls and since we lost the kmsp-9(as they switched from upn to fox). I'd like to get their programming and others to watch.

I know it's not a right thing to do or even ask,but i'm sure someone has done this. So any comments or feedback would be helpful. I'll miss kmsp's new,minn wild hockey,minn state high school tournamnets. Since we have fox out of duluth. They won't allow kmsp-9(new fox) to be on cable as they are. Thanks alot.

2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Since you don't say where you are, it depends if you fall within the Minn/SP spot beam. If you do, should work fine. As far as the phone line, if it's NOT the persons only receiver on the account, you might possibly have a problem with the phone line issue - some people do & some don't.

3. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
  4. jlvideo

jlvideo AllStar

Apr 6, 2002
    I live about 3 hours north of Minneapolis,but my locals would be Duluth,MN/Superior,WI and they won't be on for a long time. I have heard.

I wondered since directv has no spot beams,could a switch of directv receivers from a friend of mine in mpls allow me to get their locals without using the phone line,of course? I know there's probably others using fake addresses or receivers to get other channels. I'm just asking for comments or can it be done?

5. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    The phone line has NOTHING to do with getting locals. Directv does not check where the receiver calls out from because they do not care.

To get Minneapolis locals where you are, you need good signal strength readings on transponders 12 and 20. Check it against this chart -

http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html

If you get a good signal on these 2 transponders, you can "move" to Minneapolis yourself using an address somewhere in that DMA and be done with it. Call Directv, "move" and confirm that they are working. After you hang up go online and change your MAILING address back to your real address so you get your bill every month.

If you cannot get a decent signal level on tp 12 and 20, you cannot see the channels and using someone else's receiver will do you no good anyway.

6. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Uh, why does he have to go through an extra step - just call D*, "move" to the new address BUT tell them to continue sending the bill to the existing address & he's all done. I've done this several times with NO problems whatsoever. (just did my parents last month in 1 step)

7. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Even though nobody is stealing service, this type of activity is unethical and dishonest and should not be discussed here. Furthermore discussion of this type does violate a couple of our forum rules.

This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.