DirecTV Lost 11 Year Customer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by fosterfamily, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 21, 2011 #1 of 211
    fosterfamily

fosterfamily New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Long time lurker but first post. This has been a very helpful forum in the past.

This is simply a post indicating my disappointment in DirecTV to resolve a very simple customer expectation. In the end, it cost them two accounts.

DirecTV just lost my account after 11+ years of service. Reason:

After encouraging my parents to move to DirecTV, the installer - a "Tier 1" installer dispatched by DirecTV installed HR21 and H21 equipment to their home last week. Since then, DirecTV was unable to replace these boxes with H24 units.

Notes:

1. In my new location, I have had HR24 and H24 boxes since September along with other neighbors. Thus we know that they are available.
    2. The HR21 unit installed was immediately and horribly noisy. This was replaced a day or two later with an HR24. Thus we know the installer has the new equipment.
    3. My parents, nearly 80, have all HD TVs in their home but were otherwise assuming that they were getting the advertised equipment which is the same equipment that they have used at my home since September 2010.
    4. My parents have 5 units in their home. 1 HR24, 4 H21s. Thus, they should be considered a GREAT new customer from an billing perspective!

Customer service was unable to resolve for the same reasons stated elsewhere in this forum:

1. "Cannot guarantee equipment models" = false advertising
    2. "Equipment is at the discretion of the installer" = age discrimination
    3. "You can spend $100 to get new hardware" = wait, we should spend $400 MORE money to get the install done correctly that the installer COULD have done originally

At this point, both my contract and my parents contracts will incur penalties which I will try to dispute for at least the newly installed (< 1 week) service.

Perhaps this is too principled for some, but I refuse to simple accept DirecTV's position and inability to resolve a simple problem with a simple solution.

Very disappointed and now shopping my Plan B.

2. Mar 21, 2011 #2 of 211
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Just a point of clarification .. I don't believe that DIRECTV advertises anywhere that you will receive an HR24 and/or an H24 as part of your install. They only advertise an HD DVR and/or an HD receiver. The advertising really isn't false in any way .. BUT .. it doesn't mean you have to like the policy. I'm just saying that it's not false advertising.

Age discrimination? :scratchin
    I don't think so .. probably has more to do with what was on the truck that day than who it was being installed for.

And as for "getting it done correctly" .. If you want to guarantee the latest receiver (HR24, H24, etc.) then you have to do what has been suggested on DBSTalk many many times .. You have to buy it from a retailer. So for 4, yes, it would be $400 but you would have gotten what you wanted. Besides, that $400 (even if you did it today, BTW) is probably less than the early termination fee that you are going to pay.

3. Mar 21, 2011 #3 of 211
    fosterfamily

fosterfamily New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    thanks for your comments.

1. Advertising. I also see the fine print about "models may vary" (see it now) in the advertising. However, you must admit that everything in print and online leads you to believe that you will be receiving H24 boxes. In fact, online it lists H24 by name and only refers to "All other models" on the spec page. Coupled with my parents reference installs: mine and neighbors of many months ago, would assume that they would get latest equipment. False advertising or misleading - FINE line. Bad, bad on DirecTVs part.

2. Age. I don't buy "on the truck". The same installer came back the next day to replace the faulty HR21 with an HR24. More likely trying to pawn off old equipment on unsuspecting old people.

3. My install was done without buying equipment separately. 6 months ago. Using the equivalent process, they would expect the same result.

Yep, paying cancellation fee. Already submitted claim to BBB, state Attorney General, Credit Card, and then looking at further options. It will end up costing both my time and DirecTV's time to resolve this.

Simply disappointed.

4. Mar 21, 2011 #4 of 211
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm sorry, but "principled"?

They had a noisy HR21 and it was replaced immediately, right?

So what, they got H21's and not H24's. Big deal.

If they (and you and everyone you know) is willing to bail and eat ETF's, because you'd rather have H24's instead of H21's, then it's probably a good thing. I sense it will just be more future grief for D* to retain you.

5. Mar 21, 2011 #5 of 211
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right. On the screen where I can buy a DVR, it shows an HR24, but right under that it says that while an HR24 is pictured, actual model may vary.

6. Mar 21, 2011 #6 of 211
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    1. They're all DVR's with very similar capabilities. Some have a bit larger HD and some are a bit faster, but they accomplish the same task.
    2. Old, young, doesn't matter. They get what's available.
    3. Instead of feeling that your folks got taken (which they didn't), perhaps you should just feel fortunate. Maybe you should have had the same result they did, but you lucked out (IYO).

IMO, you're making a lot out of nothing. You didn't even state what the problem was with the H21's. Was there a problem?

7. Mar 21, 2011 #7 of 211
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Everyone thinks they're special :rolleyes:

Other than a little bit of speed difference and disk space, there's virtually no difference in the end user experience between IRD's of the same type.

This is the way it is for EVERYONE.

..Wait.. Nevermind. You're right, they're just out to get you.

8. Mar 21, 2011 #8 of 211
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I feel so sorry you are just learning to read, hope you enjoy the ETF!!!!!!!!

9. Mar 21, 2011 #9 of 211
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There is a bigger difference with 20s, both in what it can do that the others can't (without an AM21), and vice versa. But that's the main thing, to DirecTV they all are equivalent.

10. Mar 21, 2011 #10 of 211
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    :wave: I'm sure you'll be missed.

11. Mar 21, 2011 #11 of 211
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    There was false advertising. There was no age discrimination. They did nothing wrong. A sense of entitlement gone wild.

12. Mar 21, 2011 #12 of 211
    erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    +1.

I added a room to my D* account three weeks ago and received an HR22. Not as sexy and (reportedly) not as fast as the HR24, but the hard drive is HUGE compared to my HR20 and HR21.

Works great for me. YMMV...

13. Mar 21, 2011 #13 of 211
    fosterfamily

fosterfamily New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Calm down fanboys. I was simply trying to extend the DirecTV family and DirecTV was unable to deliver on the right equipment. It would have been a very simple fix for them to make and ended up costing them 2 customers.

Reasons for wanting the H24 v. H21 = size, menu performance, DECA boxes. A couple of these are for countertop TVs and the slimmer package and lack of DECA box makes for a better footprint. I may be discriminating but there is a difference as you are all aware.

ETF. Right, it might be a business model to collect these fees for dissatisfied customers but in 11 years, I've never complained thus I am very low maintenance and would be considered a "keeper" in any other business.

14. Mar 21, 2011 #14 of 211
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Haha :lol: Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

15. Mar 21, 2011 #15 of 211
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007

...then get your own H24's. :rolleyes: You can acquire them for yourself, if you wish to do so. Blaiming DirecTV for a mistake you made is not going to get you anywhere. DirecTV did deliver the correct equipment. You decided to be incredibly difficult and have now inconvenienced your elderly parents. Mission accomplished?

16. Mar 21, 2011 #16 of 211
    rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm a D** employee and the tech that set mine up showed up with 2 HR20s and an H20. Luckily for me I had something that caused the install to be delayed and when they came back out 2 weeks later we had HR24s and a H24. The only thing that matters is what the tech has on his truck.

17. Mar 21, 2011 #17 of 211
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Bottom line is D* does not guarantee 24 series models, if you are willing to leave over that, then they might not be willing to keep you as a customer. There is a fine line between what you should get and someone's sense of entitlement....there is a way to get 24's, but you have to provide the extra effort to get them, as in acquiring them elsewhere like many have done to their satisfaction.

18. Mar 21, 2011 #18 of 211
    fosterfamily

fosterfamily New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    "Entitlement" has been used a couple of times. This would imply that it is a privileged to get the equipment that is being advertised and is installed next door.

In no way do I feel entitled to be special. Only to get what is presented as latest, in-print, and as otherwise advertised.

My father is a small business owner that is in disbelief of the tactics used by DirecTV to advertise one way and then deliver another. The attitude that he would pay another $400 to get what would otherwise be "luck of the draw" is simply inexcusable.

19. Mar 21, 2011 #19 of 211
    fosterfamily

fosterfamily New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I took on the mission to resolve (yet failed) in an attempt to: a) avoid my dad throwing the equipment out the front door and b) retain DirecTV as his service - as I believed that they would resolve this for knowing-customers.

20. Mar 21, 2011 #20 of 211
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    They did absolutely nothing dishonest. You received the correct equipment. Your disappointment came about due to your own misconceptions. There is absolutely no reason for them to replace those H21's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.